Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
DVD Reviews

HTF REVIEW: The Shawshank Redemption - Two Disc Special Edition.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
53 replies to this topic

#41 of 54 OFFLINE   Charlie O.

Charlie O.

Supporting Actor

• 509 posts

Posted October 15 2004 - 04:12 AM

Quote:
just listened to the Frank Darabont commentary. He notes that he digitally altered one shot for the 10 anniversery DVD, in order to correct a continuity error:

Would anyone have screen shots so we can compare?

#42 of 54 OFFLINE   ChrisV

ChrisV

Second Unit

• 484 posts

Posted October 15 2004 - 04:39 AM

Great job, Ric. Thanks a lot. Posted Image

#43 of 54 OFFLINE   ZacharyTait

ZacharyTait

Screenwriter

• 2,187 posts

Posted October 15 2004 - 04:46 AM

Terrific cover Ric. I just wish DVDCA was still around so you could share it with more people.

I'm going to have to watch the movie again to see the corrected continuity error. Darn! Posted Image

#44 of 54 OFFLINE   Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina

Lead Actor

• 9,735 posts

Posted October 15 2004 - 05:50 AM

Great job, Ric! Posted Image

XBox Live: TheL1brarian (let's play Destiny on XB1)

#45 of 54 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,780 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted October 15 2004 - 02:40 PM

Ric: Well done! VERY well done!

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#46 of 54 OFFLINE   Brad Cook

Brad Cook

Stunt Coordinator

• 148 posts

Posted October 22 2004 - 09:47 AM

Is it ever really made clear that Andy is innocent? People always talk about this film in terms of Andy being wrongfully incarcerated, but I've always thought that his guilt or innocence was left intentionally vague. Yes, you have the prisoner who claims to know who really committed the crime, but this is a convicted felon we're talking about here, someone who could easily fabricate a story just to get a deal with the DA. And because he's killed, we never know for sure whether he was on the level or not.

Of course, Andy isn't really the main character in the film anyway. He's a catalyst for change, most significantly in Red, whose redemption is what the title refers to. In a way, though, if Andy did commit the crime, then he is redeemed to a certain extent too because of his acts while behind bars. I don't think those acts make up for killing two people, but it's a minor redemption of sorts.

RE the idea that the ending isn't real: I'd never considered that, and it's certainly a valid interpretation. Like the ending of Taxi Driver, which some argue is going through DeNiro's character's head as he dies, the ending of Shawshank could certainly be Red's daydream.

Does Darabont discuss this in the commentary at all?

#47 of 54 OFFLINE   Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma

Producer

• 5,289 posts

Posted October 22 2004 - 04:12 PM

Quote:
Is it ever really made clear that Andy is innocent?
The book and the movie make it quite clear that Andy is innocent.
Every man is my superior, in that I may learn from him.

#48 of 54 OFFLINE   Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina

Lead Actor

• 9,735 posts

Posted October 22 2004 - 04:40 PM

Yep, I didn't see much ambiguity about Tommy's old cell mate being the one who did the killings (in either the book or the movie).

XBox Live: TheL1brarian (let's play Destiny on XB1)

#49 of 54 OFFLINE   Ray H

Ray H

Producer

• 3,481 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted October 22 2004 - 04:53 PM

Ric's link doesn't seem to be working. Posted Image I would've snatched it earlier but I didn't see it.
"Here's looking at you, kid."

#50 of 54 OFFLINE   Drue Elrick

Drue Elrick

Stunt Coordinator

• 101 posts

Posted October 22 2004 - 05:12 PM

I love the Shawshank Redemption. To me, it is clear that Andy is innocent. He's the opposite of the warden. He works within the rules while the warden flaunts them. I agree with the dream interpretation of the ending.

Even if it was real, it speaks to the redemption of Red and the justice for Andy. It makes me feel so great to see that. To know that not only is the warden brought to justice in a way that will deny him God, but also that Andy is able to retain his goodness and not fall to the depths that he was accused of. Even when he was cooking the books for the warden, he was doing the right thing by maintaining the real records to convict the warden.

To me, it is uplifting to see the good ending, rather than a tragic ending or being left wondering.

#51 of 54 OFFLINE   Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma

Producer

• 5,289 posts

Posted October 23 2004 - 12:49 AM

It is Andy's innocence that powers his drive to not become institutionalized.
Every man is my superior, in that I may learn from him.

#52 of 54 OFFLINE   Ric Easton

Ric Easton

Screenwriter

• 2,814 posts

Posted October 23 2004 - 02:08 AM

Hi folks, thanks for the kudos on the alt cover. It is temporarily unavailable. I've hit some kind of snag with the kind folks that have been hosting many of my covers. I'll let you know when they are available again. Should be a day or two.

Thanks,
Ric

#53 of 54 OFFLINE   Ric Easton

Ric Easton

Screenwriter

• 2,814 posts

Posted October 23 2004 - 08:07 AM

The above cover link should be fixed now. Sorry about the snafu!

Ric

#54 of 54 OFFLINE   Peter Svensson

Peter Svensson

Second Unit

• 404 posts

Posted October 23 2004 - 09:58 AM

That´s almost exactly the cover for the Japanese edition with DTS, and in my opinion, the best edition when it comes to A/V.

Posted Image

Forum Nav Content I Follow