What's new

Whatever Happened to Everyone? (1 Viewer)

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
I’m sitting here at work thinking about the “grand ole days” of the HTF and I’ve been wondering what happened to a lot of the people that made this forum what it was. I still see the occasional posts from “Crawdaddy” (;)) and maybe an announcement or two from Ron Epstein, but I see that a lot of the posters I used to see a lot on this board when I first started simply have just disappeared or make a post here every now and then. Kind of like myself. Back in the day, I used to be on here at least almost all of the day. But once I got a car and a life, I was out of here. It’s like the lil’ youngin’ of the HTF found it’s wings and flew coup.

But overall, it makes me feel sad down inside, as if we’ve lost the little family this forum had. It was like a close-knit community of “geeks” (cool geeks, of course) that were all into home theater and movies.

Whatever happened to everybody I originated with? SHOW YOUR FACES!

brentl

Senior HTF Member
Most of your family is still here, it's just that many of us have other families or other duties we must attend to.

Brent

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Hi Matthew, I'm still here remember me? :) Yeah they locked me away in the testing area a couple of years ago and only let me out sometimes "if I behave".:crazy:

I remember the good old days, when After Hours was the most fun area on the forum instead of the whinge and moan place it's become since. A time when I was starting new threads every week... A lot of people have disappeared or hardly post anymore, Eric Scott, Marianne (remember her?) Jeff Amaris, Rain, Storm, Thunder, where have they gone? :frowning:

Jay Taylor

Supporting Actor
Some of the more "colorful" posters to the after hours forum are no longer allowed to post!

I guess when your number of fart threads reach a certain level you're asked to go elsewhere.

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
Mike Knapp started his own forum and several frequent (and interesting) posters went there. Also, I think the AVS Forum has sucked up a lot of people.

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
Yes Steve, I remember you. You crazy sex-obsessed Brit. ;)

I do remember the likes of Eric Scott, Marianne, Jeff Amaris, and Rain. I've heard nothing about the three former members (it's too bad), but that last latter member (Rain) has gotten out of the whole "Home Theater" hobby. Last time I talked to him (back in August), he sold most (if not all) of his DVDs and home theater material. He told me he is happier with his book collection than his DVD collection.

I knew that quite a few people moved over to the AVS Forum, but I didn't know that Mike Knapp started his own forum. Now it makes sense why I don't see Knapp on here anymore. ;)

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
I'm still here in my obscurity...:)

I added a kayak to my stable of non-HT related gear this past year so I've expanded a bit.

Jay

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
I don't really count as part of the group you're talking about but I have noticed that most of that group hasn't been around much. It's too bad. I miss staring up that ugly nostril of Rain's :)

Me, I lurk more than ever these days and I'm only active in a few areas. My HT is still going strong but I've got other hobbies I'm into as well.

Mark McLeod

Second Unit
I ran into Rain twice in the past couple weeks while I was at the Vancouver International Film Festival and while he was waiting for a bus.

He mentioned much the same stuff that Matt reported. He's more into books now. What's up with that.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Alot of the frequent posters that started when we did have left Matthew. Forums change. A majority of those folks can be found.. just not here. There is another forum(HTguide) that has quite a few folks from the "old days".

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
Well I remember the days in 1997...

With my original 300MHz and 64MB RAM computer.

And a 56K connection.

And an AOL account.

Seven years later, I have a cable account that has speeds to 5mbps. :)

Chris

Senior HTF Member

When we all accessed HTF as "Delphi Exclusive" material with offline readers like Win-D :)

I still wish something like WinD would come back around that would work with the forum as it is.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Im a old timer too and have noticed some of the names we used to see that dont appear anymore.

The Polls area used to be my favorite and now no one even posts there anymore.

Greg Haynes

Supporting Actor
What ever happened to KeithH the man that had the most CD players that I have ever seen? He was a big supporter of SACD.

Scott McGillivray

Supporting Actor
I am still here too. I am not very memorable in that I have never been controversial (I think). I have held off posting until one of my movies has been released so I can hear you guys critique them (please be kind).

I do agree that many of the colourful people of old seem to have faded away.

I miss Marianne, too. She was such a fun person!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks