Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Whatever Happened to Everyone?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#1 of 99 OFFLINE   Matthew Chmiel

Matthew Chmiel

Screenwriter

• 2,284 posts

Posted October 11 2004 - 10:08 AM

I’m sitting here at work thinking about the “grand ole days” of the HTF and I’ve been wondering what happened to a lot of the people that made this forum what it was. I still see the occasional posts from “Crawdaddy” (Posted Image) and maybe an announcement or two from Ron Epstein, but I see that a lot of the posters I used to see a lot on this board when I first started simply have just disappeared or make a post here every now and then. Kind of like myself. Back in the day, I used to be on here at least almost all of the day. But once I got a car and a life, I was out of here. It’s like the lil’ youngin’ of the HTF found it’s wings and flew coup.

But overall, it makes me feel sad down inside, as if we’ve lost the little family this forum had. It was like a close-knit community of “geeks” (cool geeks, of course) that were all into home theater and movies.

Whatever happened to everybody I originated with? SHOW YOUR FACES!

#2 of 99 OFFLINE   brentl

brentl

Screenwriter

• 2,921 posts

Posted October 11 2004 - 10:18 AM

Most of your family is still here, it's just that many of us have other families or other duties we must attend to. Brent

#3 of 99 OFFLINE   Matthew Chmiel

Matthew Chmiel

Screenwriter

• 2,284 posts

Posted October 11 2004 - 10:26 AM

Who are you again? Posted Image Posted Image I havent seen a post from you Brent since at least 2002. :b

#4 of 99 OFFLINE   Steve Christou

Steve Christou

Long Member

• 14,694 posts
  • LocationLondon, England

Posted October 11 2004 - 11:05 AM

Hi Matthew, I'm still here remember me? Posted Image Yeah they locked me away in the testing area a couple of years ago and only let me out sometimes "if I behave".Posted Image

I remember the good old days, when After Hours was the most fun area on the forum instead of the whinge and moan place it's become since. A time when I was starting new threads every week... A lot of people have disappeared or hardly post anymore, Eric Scott, Marianne (remember her?) Jeff Amaris, Rain, Storm, Thunder, where have they gone? Posted Image

Dave hören... auf, wille stoppen sie Dave... stoppen sie Dave... Mein gehirn geht... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin ängstlich Dave... Guter Nachmittag. Ich bin ein HAL 9000 computer. Ich wurde funktionsfähig am HAL-Betrieb in Urbana, Illinois auf January 12 1992.

My DVD and Blu-ray Blog

#5 of 99 OFFLINE   Jay Taylor

Jay Taylor

Supporting Actor

• 829 posts
  • LocationOklahoma City

Posted October 11 2004 - 11:18 AM

Some of the more "colorful" posters to the after hours forum are no longer allowed to post! I guess when your number of fart threads reach a certain level you're asked to go elsewhere.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke

#6 of 99 OFFLINE   alan halvorson

alan halvorson

Screenwriter

• 2,021 posts

Posted October 11 2004 - 11:36 AM

Mike Knapp started his own forum and several frequent (and interesting) posters went there. Also, I think the AVS Forum has sucked up a lot of people.
They're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!
They're coming to take me away, ho-ho, hee-hee, ha-haaa To the funny farm. Where life is beautiful all the time and I'll be happy to see those nice young men in their clean white coats and they're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!!!!
- Napoleon XIV

#7 of 99 OFFLINE   Matthew Chmiel

Matthew Chmiel

Screenwriter

• 2,284 posts

Posted October 11 2004 - 11:43 AM

Yes Steve, I remember you. You crazy sex-obsessed Brit. Posted Image

I do remember the likes of Eric Scott, Marianne, Jeff Amaris, and Rain. I've heard nothing about the three former members (it's too bad), but that last latter member (Rain) has gotten out of the whole "Home Theater" hobby. Last time I talked to him (back in August), he sold most (if not all) of his DVDs and home theater material. He told me he is happier with his book collection than his DVD collection.

I knew that quite a few people moved over to the AVS Forum, but I didn't know that Mike Knapp started his own forum. Now it makes sense why I don't see Knapp on here anymore. Posted Image

#8 of 99 OFFLINE   Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises

Lead Actor

• 8,174 posts

Posted October 11 2004 - 11:46 AM

Still here. And still fat.

#9 of 99 OFFLINE   Jay H

Jay H

Producer

• 5,678 posts
  • LocationPittsfield, MA

Posted October 11 2004 - 01:14 PM

I'm still here in my obscurity...Posted Image

I added a kayak to my stable of non-HT related gear this past year so I've expanded a bit.

Jay
You are the crispy noodle in the vegetarian salad of life

#10 of 99 OFFLINE   Jim_C

Jim_C

Screenwriter

• 2,060 posts

Posted October 11 2004 - 01:32 PM

I don't really count as part of the group you're talking about but I have noticed that most of that group hasn't been around much. It's too bad. I miss staring up that ugly nostril of Rain's Posted Image

Me, I lurk more than ever these days and I'm only active in a few areas. My HT is still going strong but I've got other hobbies I'm into as well.
You want to upgrade again?!!

#11 of 99 OFFLINE   Mark McLeod

Mark McLeod

Second Unit

• 452 posts

Posted October 11 2004 - 02:23 PM

I ran into Rain twice in the past couple weeks while I was at the Vancouver International Film Festival and while he was waiting for a bus. He mentioned much the same stuff that Matt reported. He's more into books now. What's up with that.
Mark McLeod
Staff Reviewer - CanadaMovies.net / MovieContests.com

#12 of 99 OFFLINE   Shane Martin

Shane Martin

Producer

• 6,017 posts

Posted October 11 2004 - 02:43 PM

Alot of the frequent posters that started when we did have left Matthew. Forums change. A majority of those folks can be found.. just not here. There is another forum(HTguide) that has quite a few folks from the "old days".

#13 of 99 OFFLINE   L. Anton Dencklau

L. Anton Dencklau

Second Unit

• 251 posts

Posted October 11 2004 - 03:44 PM

#14 of 99 OFFLINE   Matthew Chmiel

Matthew Chmiel

Screenwriter

• 2,284 posts

Posted October 11 2004 - 03:50 PM

Well I remember the days in 1997...

With my original 300MHz and 64MB RAM computer.

And a 56K connection.

And an AOL account.

Seven years later, I have a cable account that has speeds to 5mbps. Posted Image

#15 of 99 OFFLINE   Chris

Chris

Lead Actor

• 6,790 posts

Posted October 11 2004 - 04:15 PM

When we all accessed HTF as "Delphi Exclusive" material with offline readers like Win-D Posted Image

I still wish something like WinD would come back around that would work with the forum as it is.
My Current DVD-Profiler

"I've been Ostrafied!" - Christopher, Sopranos 5/6/07

#16 of 99 OFFLINE   JonZ

JonZ

Lead Actor

• 7,794 posts

Posted October 12 2004 - 12:57 AM

Im a old timer too and have noticed some of the names we used to see that dont appear anymore. The Polls area used to be my favorite and now no one even posts there anymore.

#17 of 99 OFFLINE   Greg Z

Greg Z

Stunt Coordinator

• 110 posts

Posted October 12 2004 - 02:14 AM

Boy, I do miss Turkey-Knapp! Posted Image

#18 of 99 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 18,519 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted October 12 2004 - 03:11 AM

You young Whippersnappers dont know what it was like back in '97. We had to flip our DVDs for god's sake! Sam

I lost my signature and all I got was this Nutter t-shirt

HTF Rules

Classified Sales Rules

UV Sales New Clarifications

#19 of 99 OFFLINE   Greg Haynes

Greg Haynes

Supporting Actor

• 577 posts

Posted October 12 2004 - 04:06 AM

What ever happened to KeithH the man that had the most CD players that I have ever seen? He was a big supporter of SACD.

#20 of 99 OFFLINE   Scott McGillivray

Scott McGillivray

Supporting Actor

• 852 posts

Posted October 12 2004 - 10:54 AM

I am still here too. I am not very memorable in that I have never been controversial (I think). I have held off posting until one of my movies has been released so I can hear you guys critique them (please be kind). I do agree that many of the colourful people of old seem to have faded away. I miss Marianne, too. She was such a fun person!
Scott A. McGillivray
Vancouver, B.C.

Struggling Actor and Movie Nut!
(Check out my profile on IMDB!)http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1425496/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users