What's new

Axiom speakers? (1 Viewer)

Craig Ball

Second Unit
I'm looking at getting new speaks so I can get my HT going again, Due to being out of work I had to sell my old stuff which consisted of Klipsch Legend series speaks and dual 20-39cs+ subs. Anyway I read a few reviews about these Axiom speaks and wanted to know if any of you guys had them and what you thought of them. Thanks

Craig

JackRI

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jack Richard
Craig,

I have the M60s/VP150/QS8s

Because of the subjectivity of the listening experience (different rooms, different hearing, different preferences, etc.), I am VERY reluctant to "recommend" anything. I prefer simply to pass along what I've experienced, and hope that in some way it will help. I think the standard disclaimer is YMMV (your mileage may vary?) which, roughly translated, means you may have a different experience than I.

I've yet to hear a "perfect" speaker, but the Axioms are the best I've ever owned. However, having owned Bose previously that statement could be considered damning with faint praise ;) . I'm very happy with them. I find their clarity and imaging wonderfully satisfying.

The QS8s are startlingly immersing. My standard comment on the QS8s is "the thing I notice most about the QS8s is that I DON’T notice them." They do a wonderful job of providing the surround experience without calling attention to themselves in any way. They do not distract from the movie in any way.

The M60s handily satisfy my desire for a balanced set of mains that provides everything I want to hear (i.e. adequate bass, solid mids, clear highs. I often (but not always) listen to music with the M60s alone.

The VP150 is the least satisfying of the 3 speakers. It sounds great, blends with the M60s flawlessly, and reproduces dialog really well. But, because my seating area is so close to it (7 feet), seating that is off axis doesn't get the great response that sitting in the middle does. If your seating area is farther back from it, you probably would NOT have this problem.

Critics of the Axioms call them "bright" or "harsh." Proponents describe the same listening experience as "accurate," or "detailed." Regardless, you will not find these speakers "muddy," or "muffled and they will expose a poorly mixed CD. If your room has hardwood floors, bare walls, minimal furniture, and a low ceiling, Axioms may not be for you. If you have carpeting, wall hangings, sofas and chairs, and/or a high ceiling you may find them wonderful. Having previously owned Klipsch speakers, I would suspect you would be very comfortable with Axioms.

With music, having owned lesser speakers I had gotten into the habit of cranking up the volume in order to give me the listening experience I wanted (hearing everything). I have found that these speakers do NOT need to be cranked to provide the satisfying experience of hearing everything in the mix.

For home theater, I find the whole ensemble flawless. Of course, the fact that I'm the one sitting in the sweet spot just might have something to do with that. :p

If you have more questions, I invite you to come over to the Axiom Forum and ask away. It is also a good idea to call Axiom, explain your circumstances, tell them your needs and wants, and ask what they would recommend. Their customer service, like so many of the internet vendors is excellent, and they will not try to talk you into something you neither need nor want.

Axiom makes very good speakers, at a VERY reasonable price; has superior customer service; offers 10% off if you buy from their Factory Outlet, offers an additional 5% off if you order ANY 5 items (such as 5 speakers, or two speakers, 2 stands and a cable); and allows returns for any reason within a 30 day period (you pay return shipping).

If you order 2 front speakers to get an idea of the Axiom sound, like them, and order, for example, a center and 2 surrounds within the 30 day trial period, that will qualify for the 5% discount. If the Axiom sound isn't for you, you only have to pay for return shipping on 2 speakers.

Are Axioms for you? Only you can answer that. Hope I've helped

Oachalon

Stunt Coordinator
Wow jack didnt know there was an ohioan with axioms also. I see your from cleveland. I live in mentor. Nice to know there is another person that has axioms in the area.

Joe D

Supporting Actor
I also own the M60/QS8/VP150 combo.

I am very satisfied with my Axiom speakers. They provided me an opportunity to get great speakers for a very reasonable price. Where else could you get a 6 speaker 6.0 setup for $1750?

I agree with the above statement that you don't need to crank up the speakers to hear everything in the mix. I can listen to movies and music at much lower volume levels now and still be satisfied with the experience and still hear everything in terms of dialogue, but every chance I get I still crank em up.

The M60's provide an excellent 2 channel experience, but
I would agree with the above comment that they will expose a poorly mixed CD. After owning these speakers you realize just how few CD's are mixed very well.

JackRI

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jack Richard

Son of a gun! Who'd a thunk it? ;) I know of a couple of Axiom owners in Columbus, and one in Cincinnati, but I didn't realize there was another Northern Ohio Axiom owner. I'm in Fairview Park, and have a close friend in the Deepwood condo complex in Mentor. Because of circumstances, I don't get over there very often, unfortunately. Nice to know I'm not alone. :)

Jose T

Stunt Coordinator
I also own the M60/QS8/VP150 combo plus the Axiom subwoofer 175. I feelings are same as most of the other post. Great value and sound from this speaker set up. My only concern has been the subs performance during movies. Their sub is beeter suited for music (in my opinion) then the bang ,boom necessary for H/T action. Cusotmer service is top notch too.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks