What's new

Fox Canada goes bilingual cover CRAZY! (2 Viewers)

Jeremy Brupaste

Stunt Coordinator
I am very, very sorry to report that 20th Century Fox in Canada has joined the dark forces and begun to make bilingual French and English covers. "The Day After Tomorrow" is, I believe, the first release from them that's done this.

What can I say? As an English-speaking movie lover that's obsessed by cover art, I am absolutely gutted. There are now only two major studios left who haven't given into French threats, Warner and Sony. Here's hoping the people in charge there have a lot more conviction than their P.C. -crazy counterparts...

I don't buy Bilingual DVD product. It looks like my shopping days are numbered...

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
Damn!! When I saw the "bilingual" blurp on the DVD Soon datails page for "Day after Tomorrow", I thought it was a mistake. Guess not. :frowning:

Chris

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Somehow, I would formerly have guessed Fox would be the *last* to go PC, especially in Canada, and furthermore with FRENCH.

I don't suppose this cosying-up has anything to do with Fox's ongoing attempts to make major new media incursions into Canada...nah, couldn't be related...

Phil_L

Second Unit
Does that mean that DVDs sold in all provinces have bilingual covers instead of bilingual for Quebec and English-only for all others? Why would they force people in other provinces to put up with that when only one is French speaking?

Laurence Price

Stunt Coordinator
I guess Fox producing bilingual covers was bound to happen sooner than later.

I think it may be inevitable that the other studios will start to follow the same pattern at some point.

It seems that Canadians will be incapable of avoiding bilingual covers in Canada if events continue to occur this way.

If someone becomes disgusted and tired of the bilingual covers then their only option will be to import DVDs online from outside of Canada.

DougWright

Stunt Coordinator
I live in New Brunswick which is the only "bilingual" Province in Canada. I just don't understand why studios don't do 2 sided covers one side French one side English.
they can ship 1/2 flipped one way one half flipped the other.
Bilingual covers will seriously reduce the number of DVDs I buy on impulse, The Day After Tomorrow was the first I passed on because of the cover, I rented it instead and back it went. saved 20 bucks, thanks Fox!
The bilingual issue is a funny one, whenever literature is put out in 2 different languages up here (one I can think of off hand is the HDTV info at the cable store) the English always is gone and I have to read the French (which I read at about a grade 5 level ;) ), the people at the video store always say even the French customers take the English info... go figure!
Seems worth it to screw up my cover art for that

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
:angry: Fox :angry:

I will pass on Day After Tomorrow too. Oh well, more blind-buy money allocated to Warner Bros, MGM & Columbia...

(edit: I forgot MGM - oh, the shame!)

WarrenM

Stunt Coordinator
Sheesh, even a Canadian-only company like Seville has the sense not to release their dvd's with bilingual sleeves. They may not be the greatest company, but they do what all the other studios should do... english cover art on one side, french on the other. It makes absolutely no sense to do the bilingual thing.

Laurence Price

Stunt Coordinator

There must be some sort of reason why a Canadian distributor like Seville is allowed to get away with not having to use bilingual cover art when American DVD distributors are rapidly changing to bilingual packaging.

Does anyone know if bilingual cover art is mandated by the government? Do all DVD distributors who want to sell their product in Canada have to eventually comply with certain rules and regulations?

I doubt if these distributors had a choice that they would voluntarily agree to this. Bilingual cover art must be imposed upon them somehow.

Rolando

Screenwriter
I believe stupid law says if there is a French track it MUST contain a French cover/description. BUT it's up to studios how they do this. Could have reversible covers or bilingual. All they really need is a sticker on the shrink wrap stating French track included and or reversible cover.

thing is this stupidity besides pissing us off is costing studios money. I say be boycott bi-lingual covers. show the studios that ON TOP of costing more it is reducing sales. Sooner or later government will have to back off or studios will stop putting a French track (fine with me) so as not to deal with this sh*t.

Johnny Jr.

Stunt Coordinator
Does anyone know how to get into contact with 20th Century FOX Canada via e-mail or phone line?

Aaryn Chan

Supporting Actor
And it's funny when they translate "The Professional" into "Le Professionel".

Like we couldn't tell.

Or crap like "Steven Spielberg presents" into "Steven Spielberg presente".

Niaiseux.

Greg Madsen

Second Unit

As a fellow New Brunswicker I agree with this. I also passed on Day after Tomorrow but may pick it up via US online order.

Mark Hawley

Second Unit
Yeah, it's ridiculous. I was remember the disc of Honey starring Jessica Alba and along the spine, there was Honey twice (one was upside down). Now I believe the actual French word for honey is miel, but since Honey's a character's name in this case, Honey would be correct in either English or French.

But why on Earth do they have it twice? It just seems like something they put on just in case someone from the language police inspected it and got confused.

Harminder

Second Unit
Real Name
Harminder
I'm probably one of the only few people who is indifferent about bilingual coverart (although I do sympathize those who love their coverart), unless it's a movie I really love. TDAT isn't one of them, I just want it for it's awesome visuals and audio.

I'm only concerned with DTS tracks being replaced by French tracks.

Opi

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Felix Wieme
I hate bilingual covers!
So i can't buy my beloved Fox Studio Classics in Canada anymore. No more DVDSoon orders - there's no other shop left with free shipping to Europe :frowning:

Matt Leigh

Stunt Coordinator
I just don't get why they do this.

It is such a simple fix that they are actually ALREADY doing. They have reversible french and english packaging on most DVDs. But they are bilingual on both sides! Only things like the critic's quotes are differnen't front and back.

Just do one side pure English and the other side pure French. Then, have a sticker on the shrinkwrap that says "Reversible French packaging" or "Reversible English Packaging"

As an English collector I want an English cover and English spine. If I were French I would probably want a pure French cover, or if I were a purest use the English side for English movies and a French side for French movies.

It drives me nuts that they are already doing it but not properly. Its not like it'll put their printing costs up or anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks