-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Sick of Symantec...what firewall and antivirus software do you use?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
39 replies to this topic

#1 of 40 Marty Christion

Marty Christion

Stunt Coordinator

• 230 posts

Posted October 07 2004 - 07:53 AM

I've been using a trial copy of Symantec Personal Firewall and Anti virus that came with my router, and my computer takes forever to load and shut down now. Plus I see all sorts of Symantec stuff running in the background.

What are the recommended alternatives on both fronts? Of course Zone Alarm seems ubiquitous, but I've also heard good things about Tiny Firewall. And Zone Alarm now has Anti Virus as well, from what it looks like.

It's for a 1Ghz laptop running XP pro.

#2 of 40 Mike Fassler

Mike Fassler

Supporting Actor

• 523 posts

Posted October 07 2004 - 01:52 PM

I highly recommend F-secure products,Althou I never waste my resources with a software firewall, F-secure makes some of the best products on the market.

http://www.f-secure.com/index.shtml

#3 of 40 Chris

Chris

Lead Actor

• 6,790 posts

Posted October 08 2004 - 12:55 AM

http://www.virusbtn....ducts.xml?table

The Virus Bulletin will give you good details of which software performed well, which didn't.
My Current DVD-Profiler

"I've been Ostrafied!" - Christopher, Sopranos 5/6/07

#4 of 40 Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard

Screenwriter

• 2,314 posts

Posted October 08 2004 - 02:07 AM

I'm using McAfee Viruscan, and the WinXP SP2 firewall seems good enough to me.

My computer starts up very quickly, but the shutdown is LONG. Athlon XP 2600+, too, so that's not it.images/smilies/smile.gif Probably viruscan, but I can live with it, since I walk away on shutdown, anyway.
I love to singa, about the moon-a, and the june-a, and the springa...
-Owl Jolson

#5 of 40 Tekara

Tekara

Supporting Actor

• 783 posts

Posted October 08 2004 - 02:32 AM

I use AVG for antivirus and Kerio for a firewall. Both are free and work fairly well. I particularly like them because they are quite a bit lighter on resource consumption that norton.
"Computers are a lot like air conditioners - they both work great until you open windows." -Anonymous
"The danger from computers is not that they will eventually get as smart as men, but that we will agree to meet them halfway." -Bernard Avishai

#6 of 40 Nathan_F

Nathan_F

Second Unit

• 257 posts
  • LocationFishers, IN

Posted October 08 2004 - 07:10 AM

AVG for me as well. I use Sygate personal firewall. Again, both are free and do a good job.

#7 of 40 GarySI

GarySI

Stunt Coordinator

• 113 posts

Posted October 08 2004 - 07:22 AM

I wiped all of my machines clean of Symantec software. I love AVG from grisoft.com. It is free, but be considerate and send them a donation. If you''re going to get rid of symantec, be sure to clean out the registry also.
I know the hearse is double parked and the motor's running.
It could be worse, it could be me.

#8 of 40 Ken Chui

Ken Chui

Supporting Actor

• 976 posts

Posted October 08 2004 - 09:03 AM

Anti-Virus: McAfee VirusScan 8.0

Firewall: Kerio Personal Firewall 4

My susbscription to McAfee expired recently, so I'm using Computer Associates' EZ Armor Security Software (free for RR customers) temporarily. I'm holding out for a more affordable upgrade offer from McAfee before I switch to VS 9.0.

#9 of 40 Marko Berg

Marko Berg

Supporting Actor

• 856 posts

Posted October 09 2004 - 03:40 AM

Another F-secure user here. We also have it in my workplace. I've never had a problem with virii thanks to it.

#10 of 40 Mark Shannon

Mark Shannon

Screenwriter

• 1,991 posts

Posted October 09 2004 - 10:39 AM

VCOM Systemsuite for both firewall and antivirus.

#11 of 40 Hanson

Hanson

Producer

• 4,407 posts

Posted October 10 2004 - 02:41 AM

I use AVG because it does auto updates or free and use Housecall online scan to thoroughly inspect my system. I would never use Symantec AV or firewall products -- they use too many system resources for my taste and I have seen infected files not detected by Norton that were detected by Housecall online scan.

#12 of 40 Max Leung

Max Leung

Producer

• 4,612 posts

Posted October 10 2004 - 06:31 PM

I have a hardware firewall, a Linksys router. I do not use any in-memory virus-scan tools. Occasionally I run the Housecall online virus checker. But, it never finds anything.

I have not had a virus on my machine for over three years...but I still get the occasional spyware program. I run Adaware and Spybot regularly.
Mahatma Gandhi, as you know, walked barefoot most of the time, which produced an impressive set of calluses on his feet. He also ate very little, which made him rather frail and with his odd diet, he suffered from bad breath. This made him...a super-callused fragile mystic hexed by halitosis.

Gamesh....

#13 of 40 Greg*go

Greg*go

Supporting Actor

• 941 posts

Posted October 12 2004 - 05:33 AM

Another vote for AVG-pro, but I have Zone Alarm's free edition as my firewall. It seems everyone has shifted away from Zone Alarm. Is there a reason for that? Is it no longer the hip firewall to use?
I certainly don't expect anyone to remember me 65 years after I die, but you wouldn't know that from the way I act.

#14 of 40 Max Leung

Max Leung

Producer

• 4,612 posts

Posted October 12 2004 - 06:07 AM

I've had many headaches with ZoneAlarm - it really sucks when you're trying to launch a game, and the ZoneAlarm "permission" window is hidden from view. If you clicked on the mouse at that moment, the window would lose focus and you'd be force to reboot the computer to get control back! Arrrghh. I hate ZoneAlarm. I've had it corrupt my network stack too...

I think it is better now - although with the newest Windows XP built-in firewall, it is somewhat obsolete.
Mahatma Gandhi, as you know, walked barefoot most of the time, which produced an impressive set of calluses on his feet. He also ate very little, which made him rather frail and with his odd diet, he suffered from bad breath. This made him...a super-callused fragile mystic hexed by halitosis.

Gamesh....

#15 of 40 Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Producer

• 5,100 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted February 20 2006 - 07:58 AM

I thought I'd bump this thread. My sub to Norton AV is running out and its time to change from Norton Internet Security.

I see that Staples is selling McAfee Internet Security Suite for $60 (minus $60 in rebates) so the price is right. I've noticed a lot of complaints about Norton and McAfee.

What are your current thoughts on McAfee and other products? I need AV and Firewall. I'm using MS Antispyware, so I guess that's not absolutely required in a new package. I also use spybot and adaware. I will be running both Firefox and IE (my wife doesn't like Firefox, go figure). I'm running WinXP Pro and a Linksys wireless router and there will be a laptop on the wireless network.

Thoughts, please.
Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

#16 of 40 Neal_C

Neal_C

Second Unit

• 476 posts

Posted February 20 2006 - 08:33 AM

Johnny,

Why not just let your router be your firewall? I have been using a hardware based firewall (D-Link, Linksys, etc) in my routers for 6 or 7 years now. I just haven't seen the need for a software based one.

As for antivirus, I have been using AVG for about 3 or 4 years and have never felt the need to switch. It has 2 good things going for it: its free, and it works.

#17 of 40 Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Producer

• 5,100 posts

Posted February 20 2006 - 08:41 AM

Quote:
Why not just let your router be your firewall?
Is that enough? Stupid question because you've just said it is, but I've been used to having both, so it makes me wonder.

Question: does the router fireware protect every pc on the wireless network?
Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

#18 of 40 Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie

Producer

• 3,634 posts

Posted February 20 2006 - 08:55 AM

The software firewall probably wont protect you any more than the router for incoming traffic, but for outbound it can be useful to know exactly what is trying to access your web connection (like media player, acrobat reader, godknowswhatelse)
No longer here.

#19 of 40 Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Producer

• 5,100 posts

Posted February 20 2006 - 08:58 AM

You know, another thing I've gotten used to is some the general housekeeping scans that Norton does. But that's SystemWorks which I could keep running. I guess the one I use the most in Norton Cleanup which removes files left over from internet sessions.
Johnny
www.teamfurr.org

#20 of 40 Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Producer

• 5,100 posts

Posted February 20 2006 - 08:59 AM

Quote:
but for outbound it can be useful to know exactly what is trying to access your web connection (like media player, acrobat reader, godknowswhatelse)
Good point. Does ZoneAlarm do that?
Johnny
www.teamfurr.org

Forum Nav Content I Follow