Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

What do I need to receive HD signals?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 of 10 OFFLINE   Jeff_N

Jeff_N

Agent

• 49 posts

Posted January 30 2001 - 09:32 AM

I have a Sony KP-61HS10, and I just found out that a local station about 25 miles away just began broadcasting this last Sunday in High Definition. (They did not advertise this fact until after the Superbowl!! That is another issue.) What is the minimum I need to receive the signal? I'm really not wanting to get a dish receiver, but I want to receive OTA signals. What do you recommend? 1) Buy a HD Dish receiver anyhow because of pricing. 2) Get a OTA receiver to connect to my TV. Any other suggestions would be welcomed...

#2 of 10 OFFLINE   Timmy

Timmy

Stunt Coordinator

• 160 posts

Posted January 30 2001 - 03:08 PM

the minimum you need is an HDTV OTA tuner (STB) and a TV antenna. Right now, I think all STB's also include a dish receiver as well..... whether you need it or not. I cannot speak for ther RCA DTC 100 STB, but the DishNetwork model 6000 (with optional OTA module) requires you to be a Dish Subscriber inorder for the OTA HDTV tuner to operate... it cannot be used solely as a OTA HDTV tuner. ------------------

#3 of 10 OFFLINE   Joel Smith

Joel Smith

Agent

• 28 posts

Posted January 30 2001 - 03:35 PM

rca's dtc-100 does not require you to have a subscription to get OTA high def. Nice piece of equipment for the price. I think many forum members would agree with me.

#4 of 10 OFFLINE   Jeff_N

Jeff_N

Agent

• 49 posts

Posted January 30 2001 - 03:52 PM

Okay, $550 for the DTC-100, $140 for the converter, $30 for the antenna. Is it worth $720 to be able to watch just one station in HD? (CBS) I need another DSS receiver, so the DTC-100 would do that, but a Hughes receiver is just $50, so the difference is $680. Come on, someone convince me! Is there a Sony HD-DSS receiver coming out soon??

#5 of 10 OFFLINE   RobertR

RobertR

Lead Actor

• 9,605 posts

Posted January 30 2001 - 05:25 PM

[quote]

Is there a Sony HD-DSS receiver coming out soon??

[quote]

Yes, but it's more expensive than the DTC-100, which is the least expensive OTA-DirectTV receiver on the market. The advantage to the Sony is that it has component outputs, while the DTC-100 has only RGBHV outputs.

------------------

#6 of 10 OFFLINE   Kirk Gunn

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter

• 1,612 posts

Posted January 31 2001 - 03:37 AM

Is there anyway to test if you can really receive a strong HD signal ? I live ~ 20-30 miles from DC and Baltimore which both have HD. I would hate to invest the OTA cash to find out the signals are too weak in my area. Unfortunately DISH and DirecTV are not an option due to the nature of my wooded lot. Thanks

#7 of 10 OFFLINE   Mike I

Mike I

Supporting Actor

• 727 posts

Posted January 31 2001 - 04:03 AM

Samsung just released the str-t150 which is an hd decoder box only for ota signals...It outputs either 720p or 1080i your choice and msrp is 699... ------------------

#8 of 10 OFFLINE   Drew_N

Drew_N

Extra

• 20 posts

Posted January 31 2001 - 05:56 AM

Jeff - I think some people have been called up DirecTV and asked to speak with their customer retention department. Once you finally get transfered there, I believe if you mention the words "Dish Network" enough they sometimes will give rebates for upgrading your equipment. Don't know if this is completely true, but I've read it a few places. ------------------

#9 of 10 OFFLINE   Jeff_N

Jeff_N

Agent

• 49 posts

Posted January 31 2001 - 09:38 AM

>> Is there anyway to test if you can really receive a strong HD signal ? I live ~ 20-30 miles from DC and Baltimore which both have HD. I would hate to invest the OTA cash to find out the signals are too weak in my area. << Well, in fact, I received an email message from the Executive Manager (or something like that), here is a part of that message: "We did not get the FCC license approval until the Wednesday before. Friday night and all day Saturday we were still in the process of connecting up equipment. We first fired up the transmitter on Saturday Afternoon. When we did this, we had a failure of one of the two IOT cabinets. The other one was running, so we were able to get on at half power. But that was only part of the problems. We were not passing the digital signal through the transmitter. We finally got that figured out at 6pm Saturday night." It looks like they might be up to full strength this spring. Hopefully, there will be more stations coming on-line, and the Sony DSS HD receiver will be out so I can use the component outputs and not require a converter box. I'd like to see something for under $500, but we'll see about that!

#10 of 10 OFFLINE   Stephen Tu

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter

• 1,573 posts

Posted January 31 2001 - 01:16 PM

I thought the Sony was RGBHV capable? At least according to their web site it is. Is this not the case? On one of their direct-view HD I saw the HD inputs labeled for both YPrPb and RGBHV usage (3 connectors dual usage, + 2 separate H & V sync connectors); there is probably some switch back there or menu selection to pick between the two. I'd assume the same is true of the HS10 models. Then you wouldn't need the converter (which ought to be $100, not $140), just a VGA breakout cable, maybe $20.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users