Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Next Hanna-Barbera set?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
2238 replies to this topic

#1701 of 2239 MattPriceTime

MattPriceTime

Second Unit

• 374 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn Park, MD

Posted July 18 2013 - 06:54 PM

Their twitter account made a tweet during it that spikes my interest alot. They didn't respond when i asked more on it, but they mentioned the un-aired pilot for The World Color It Happy. Wonder if this will eventually see a release.

Blanket Quote for myself for all my postings from Feb 2014 and on

"i'm not shy to mention that i seem to be a major outlier on this forum. But i'm still highly boggled by some things posted here. But hey i can only be so critical but some things do bother me a bit, but to each their own. Even if it's odd conspiracies, not wanting to use terms correctly or just throwing hasty generalizations."

If the horse doesn't want to drink, i'm not going to lead them to water

#1702 of 2239 Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick

Screenwriter

• 2,257 posts

Posted July 19 2013 - 06:35 AM

Unfortunately they have not said exactly what it will include yet. Since this show was 3 seasons I've always wondered how they will release it.

The seasons were:

Season 1 (1977): 16 Episodes

Season 2 (1978):: 8 Episodes

Season 3 (1980): 16 Episodes

Since season 2 was only 8 episodes I don't see them releasing these as Seasons. Since there are 40 episodes total which would require 5 discs I don't think they will do a complete set since that would make the cost much higher than the rest of their HB release and reduce sales. This is just my guess but I think they will release this as 2 Volumes of 20 episodes each. Possibly at the same time or Volume 2 later

Is there any word on what the Captain Caveman set will include? (Or was that included in the announcement and I didn't read it thoroughly?)

...When you eliminate the impossible whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth

Top 20 Films

#1703 of 2239 derosa

derosa

Supporting Actor

• 720 posts

Posted July 19 2013 - 07:17 AM

The DVD artwork that was tweeted last week says "The Complete Series" on it, 

no volume number, no season number, so i am expecting the 40 shorts. 

(they are only 11mins each after all)   Not that this assumption hasn't been

wrong in the past !

Those first two seasons aired as part of Scooby's Laff-A-Lympics, and then

the 1980 season it had a half hour spot on the schedule.  Those 16 ones

must have aired with re-runs of earlier episodes, mixed  together with the new

ones.  

One thing i'm hoping for the most, is that the 1980 Flintstones Comedy Show

gets a release, with all six segments intact, including the "Captain Caveman" shorts.  

Given that this upcoming DVD is titled "Captain Caveman & the Teen Angels",

it should be the 40 shorts.    The 1987 version has "captain caveman & son"

segments.

Unfortunately they have not said exactly what it will include yet. Since this show was 3 seasons I've always wondered how they will release it.

The seasons were:

Season 1 (1977): 16 Episodes

Season 2 (1978):: 8 Episodes

Season 3 (1980): 16 Episodes

Since season 2 was only 8 episodes I don't see them releasing these as Seasons. Since there are 40 episodes total which would require 5 discs I don't think they will do a complete set since that would make the cost much higher than the rest of their HB release and reduce sales. This is just my guess but I think they will release this as 2 Volumes of 20 episodes each. Possibly at the same time or Volume 2 later

Attached Thumbnails

• cc.jpg

Edited by derosa, July 19 2013 - 07:26 AM.

#1704 of 2239 JMFabianoRPL

JMFabianoRPL

Stunt Coordinator

• 211 posts

Posted July 19 2013 - 08:42 AM

Didn't they ban a certain CC series because he "abused" his wife?

CBS = Constantly Butchering Shows.

#1705 of 2239 Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick

Screenwriter

• 2,257 posts

Posted July 19 2013 - 09:06 AM

Nice coverart. I forgot about the 11 minutes episodes but that was for Season 1 and 2. Season 3 was a full 30 minute show on its own with 16 new 30 minute episodes and they did mix in reruns of the 1st 2 seasons with 2 short episodes for each show to make 12 more 30 minute episodes. I wonder if the 1st 2 seasons will be released this way.

A complete set is nice and this would now only be 28 thirty minute shows so either 3 or 4 discs. Hopefully we get a nice price for this. I would say $34.99-$39.99 would be fair since their 16-18 episode sets are usually $29.99.

The DVD artwork that was tweeted last week says "The Complete Series" on it, 

no volume number, no season number, so i am expecting the 40 shorts. 

(they are only 11mins each after all)   Not that this assumption hasn't been

wrong in the past !

Those first two seasons aired as part of Scooby's Laff-A-Lympics, and then

the 1980 season it had a half hour spot on the schedule.  Those 16 ones

must have aired with re-runs of earlier episodes, mixed  together with the new

ones.  

One thing i'm hoping for the most, is that the 1980 Flintstones Comedy Show

gets a release, with all six segments intact, including the "Captain Caveman" shorts.  

Given that this upcoming DVD is titled "Captain Caveman & the Teen Angels",

it should be the 40 shorts.    The 1987 version has "captain caveman & son"

segments.

...When you eliminate the impossible whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth

Top 20 Films

#1706 of 2239 derosa

derosa

Supporting Actor

• 720 posts

Posted July 19 2013 - 09:59 AM

Have you got a reliable source for the season 3 episodes being longer than 11 minutes?

I've seen them all on Boomerang, and they were shorts, 10 minutes plus the opening theme.

http://captain-cave-... Seaweed Secret

Nice coverart. I forgot about the 11 minutes episodes but that was for Season 1 and 2. Season 3 was a full 30 minute show on its own with 16 new 30 minute episodes 

#1707 of 2239 Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick

Screenwriter

• 2,257 posts

Posted July 19 2013 - 11:11 AM

My source was Big Cartoon database which listed season one and two as 11 minutes but Season 3 as 30 minutes but maybe that is including a rerun. Your link shows they were 10-11 minutes. I haven't seen the show since it originally aired and really don't remember them being shorts I thought they were full length like Scooby- Doo. But its been awhile so a case of faulty memory.

So with 40 shorts it should fit as a standard 2 disc HB release.

Have you got a reliable source for the season 3 episodes being longer than 11 minutes?

I've seen them all on Boomerang, and they were shorts, 10 minutes plus the opening theme.

http://captain-cave-... Seaweed Secret

Top 20 Films

#1708 of 2239 derosa

derosa

Supporting Actor

• 720 posts

Posted July 19 2013 - 02:39 PM

There is understandable confusion, possibly because the 1980 season aired 

in it's own half hour time slot.   It is actually quite interesting how the details

of the 1976 to early 1980s airings of Scooby, Dynomutt, Captain Caveman,

and laff-a-lympics have slowly become more accurate on wikipedia and

other web sources in the time that we have been following the potential DVD

releases of these shows.  

A few years ago, the listings for these shows were full of mistakes,

and some sites haven't corrected them, others are better.

BCDB is usually pretty good.   There really hasn't been much information

on the web about the 1980 Captain Caveman episodes, other than their

names.  Even the order of the 1977 and 1978 Laff-a-lympics block hasn't

really been confirmed.  I would love to find a VHS tape of an original airing.

My source was Big Cartoon database which listed season one and two as 11 minutes but Season 3 as 30 minutes but maybe that is including a rerun. 

#1709 of 2239 derosa

derosa

Supporting Actor

• 720 posts

Posted July 21 2013 - 05:07 PM

WAC put up some photos from ComicCon on their FaceBook page,

one of them is of a Space Stars poster they must have been giving

out at the event.

Attached Thumbnails

• poster.jpg

Edited by derosa, July 21 2013 - 05:08 PM.

#1710 of 2239 derosa

derosa

Supporting Actor

• 720 posts

Posted July 22 2013 - 03:09 PM

WAC has a Captain Caveman promo up on their YouTube channel,

the quality of the clip is looking very good!

#1711 of 2239 MattPriceTime

MattPriceTime

Second Unit

• 374 posts

Posted July 23 2013 - 05:27 AM

It's up now. And as expected it's all the episodes. So WA received them all in our theories about the splitting up of the LAL block.

"i'm not shy to mention that i seem to be a major outlier on this forum. But i'm still highly boggled by some things posted here. But hey i can only be so critical but some things do bother me a bit, but to each their own. Even if it's odd conspiracies, not wanting to use terms correctly or just throwing hasty generalizations."

#1712 of 2239 derosa

derosa

Supporting Actor

• 720 posts

Posted July 23 2013 - 01:50 PM

I ordered the Superfriends season 5, out today,

but i couldn't find it locally, should be here in a 

day or two.  

#1713 of 2239 Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley

Producer

• 3,333 posts

Posted July 24 2013 - 04:12 PM

I can just imagine the Pitch Meeting for Captain Caveman, so many years ago:

"Hey, guys, we really need something new. Something original for our Saturday lineup this year. So what can we rip off, and get away with?"

"Hmm. Well, 'Charlie's Angels' is the hottest thing on tv right now. We could do an animated version of that!"

"A bit racy for the kindergarten set."

"Why not make them teenagers? Everybody knows teenagers don't have sex!"

"Hmm...I don't know. It still sounds like kind of a rip-off. We need something original, here. Something that's not a rip-off, but is a rip-off. You follow me?"

"Well? Why not make one of them black?"

"Hey! That's a great idea! Yeah! And we'll call them the 'Teen Angels' instead of 'Charlie's Angels.' That way, Aaron Spelling can't sue us!"

"Brilliant, but it needs something more."

"I agree. We can't add a mystery-solving dog to the thing. Then we'd be stealing from ourselves...yet again!"

"Ho, ho ho! That is so. But say listen, last night I stayed up and watched this old movie where they thawed out a caveman who'd been frozen in ice..."

"That's it! We'll add a caveman to the show! I think we've got it!"

"Yeah, but a caveman running around in a loincloth...hmm...that's kinda too sexy for Saturday morning, too."

"Well, we'll make him real old. That way nobody will think he's actually having sex with the Teen Angels."

"Hmm...not enough. He'll have to be covered up, I should think."

"Covered up? I know! We'll make him look kind of like Cousin Itt! That'll take all the sex right out of this show!"

"You're a genius! So he'll be a really hairy caveman...exactly like the Slag Bros, NOT Cousin Itt. Right? Because we did NOT rip off the Slag Bros. from Cousin Itt...it was the other way around, right?"

"Right! And...hey, that 'Dynomutt' thing is doing pretty well. So why not make the caveman a superhero, to boot?"

"THIS IS AMAZING! This will be the most FANTASTIC SHOW of our careers! Let's do it!!!"

#1714 of 2239 Sam Favate

Sam Favate

Producer

• 4,730 posts

Posted July 26 2013 - 04:44 AM

I feel like I'm in the room.

• Greg Chenoweth likes this

#1715 of 2239 younger1968

younger1968

Screenwriter

• 2,215 posts

Posted July 28 2013 - 06:37 AM

I am curious to why clue club has not come out yet. I remember seeing it in one of the polls.

I heard nothing on the new adventures of Gilligan for more than three years. I believe there were issues with the original copies as they needed to be cleaned up. New Adventures of Gilligan and Banana Splits are only remaining shows not released from the 1970s saturday morning sets

I am happy that i have over 50 cartoons now on DVD, but i am still missing a few that would love in my collection. In some cases my list has shows that have issues with licensing. Here are my remaining shows:

1. New Adventures of Gilligan

2. Jeannie

3. Partridge Family 2200 AD

4. These our the days

5. Banana Splits

6. Clue Club

7. Skatebirds

8. Wait till your father gets home (S2/S3)

9. Devlin

10. My favorite martian.

I still like to understand the status of the live action shows that are Sid Krofft. I know this HB thread, but it is still a thread about saturday morning cartoons. I would love to have far out space nuts or lost saucer, etc.

#1716 of 2239 MattPriceTime

MattPriceTime

Second Unit

• 374 posts

Posted July 28 2013 - 09:39 AM

They were just asked about Clue Club on twitter, saying "nothing to announce but we are aware of it's awesomeness". So given we know it's probably in the works now. We just wait. If they spent more resources on bigger projects like Space Stars and Captain Caveman then we should expect some of the less problem ones to be rolling out too. Let's not forget last year they announced 2 HB titles at comic con but within the 9 week period, they also put out 2 other series plus 4 specials dvds. So we just wait and see how they roll them out.

On another note, Captain Caveman is climbing the sales it seems. It hasn't even been out a week yet and their bestselling algorithm has it already ahead of things that have been out for years. People do love Captain Caveman it seems.

#1717 of 2239 Ejanss

Ejanss

Screenwriter

• 1,285 posts

Posted July 28 2013 - 11:39 AM

Actually, 70's-80's HB tended to be mix-and-match:

When Cavie stopped hanging around with the Teen Angels, an updated Casper the Friendly Ghost filled in.

At that point, "Wacky superhero parody" was pretty much coin of the realm, and Mel Blanc seemed near retirement, so they would craft entire show concepts around being lucky enough to hire him for a voice shtick.  (Qv. "Speed Buggy".)

(And gosh...you seem shocked that 70's HB was following the lead of network TV crazes.  I've never heard of such a thing, myself.)

#1718 of 2239 rmw650

rmw650

Supporting Actor

• 858 posts

Posted July 28 2013 - 06:22 PM

So does this set contain the remaining Laff-a-Lympics episodes or are we still waiting for those to show up in a future HB release?

#1719 of 2239 derosa

derosa

Supporting Actor

• 720 posts

Posted July 29 2013 - 05:26 AM

So does this set contain the remaining Laff-a-Lympics episodes or are we still waiting for those to show up in a future HB release?

Laff-a-Lympics sets are released by WHV, not through the Archive.  Yes, we'll still be

waiting to see if the 2nd season is released, and in what format.   WHV started

releasing four shows at a time on Volume 1 and 2, and then released the final 8

episodes from Season One on the "Spooky Games" set. 

Since WHV still seems to be planning more of the two disc Scooby Doo sets that

contain a number of episodes from random versions of the various years of Scooby

Doo shows, it seems likely they sell well enough to continue.

Given that the winter olympics are coming up in February 2014, I would "guess" that

another batch of Laff-a-Lympics episodes from Season Two might come out around

Christmas.  

Since there are only 8 left, maybe they will all be on the next set, with four

other random Scooby Episodes, or hopefully, my personal wish, that WHV includes

the final four episodes of Blue Falcon and Dynomutt, which originally aired as part

of the "Scooby's All-Star Laff-A-Lympics" show. 

Edited by derosa, July 29 2013 - 05:27 AM.

#1720 of 2239 MattPriceTime

MattPriceTime

Second Unit

• 374 posts

Posted July 29 2013 - 10:18 AM

As i posted above one of the two other Scooby sets they green-lighted but have yet to announce is called "Scooby Doo Goal" it's a sport themed set or another laff-a-lympic set. Which where it is, it makes far too much sense for them to have the eight not to DVD episodes with the four double dips not on Spooky Games and the new feature.

However it is also possible the set is just sports themed. But either way we should be expecting it to be announced for olympic time. And we do know that WHV press releases are up to November now. So we are getting closer to seeing what they chose to do.

I personally think they decided to drop the volumes of LAL since two sets with a new feature probably are going to sell better than volumes with four episodes each. And if the theory of them using the stalled releases as a way to build capital on casual buys to fix the issues then it would flow better.

I came to that idea because especially when the podcast had said WA got Captain Caveman because he was orphaned, so clearly WHV still has some plans to deal with the season sets (since the if Cavey was the only orphaned there must be plans for the other parts). Since WHV could release the 25 episode set with many shows they sent their season set forms to WA. So the idea that some of the Scoobys have rights issues, the idea they are drawing funds together on them and planning to slowly give the collectors a wink doesn't sound far-fetched. Especially given Spooky Games and TOm and Jerry kids season 1 came out of nowhere, i feel there's a method underneath what we once thought was confusing.

The Laff-a-lympics always were a draw for fans, so i assume they went with that one as their wink for Scooby at first. And i think we'll see another one announced for the olympic season. Also on the smurf side do notice most of the random smurf sets are usually just using season 1 and 2. WA told us the smurfs masters were a mess, so maybe the retail releases are using only what's good to go to draw more funds for fixing up the whole thing for eventual season sets.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users