Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

Next Hanna-Barbera set?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
2673 replies to this topic

#1641 of 2674 OFFLINE   Regulus

Regulus

Screenwriter

• 2,373 posts

Posted June 23 2013 - 08:41 AM

I Want Hot Wheels & Skyhawks!!! :angry:

Edited by Regulus, June 23 2013 - 08:42 AM.

DVD Collection Inventory: TV Episodes - 40,132    :biggrin:   ( 847 Series )  :B)  Movies - 2,538 :B)   Serial Chapters - 1,201 :B) Documentaries  500 :B)

#1642 of 2674 OFFLINE   Nebiroth

Nebiroth

Supporting Actor

• 748 posts

Posted June 23 2013 - 08:42 AM

Worth noting that both Banana Splits and Fantastic Voyage are available here in the UK

#1643 of 2674 OFFLINE   JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes

Screenwriter

• 2,148 posts

Posted June 23 2013 - 05:25 PM

wow, great catch!  

I looked around, and found that wikipedia says it's the 79-80 'world's greatest super friends'

Target exclusive April 23.

The World's Greatest Super Friends episodes TARGET EXCLUSIVE(Release date APRIL 23, 2013) Season 4: 1979–1980

[*]Format: Box set, Closed-captioned, Color, Dubbed, DVD-Video, Full Screen, Subtitled, NTSC
    [*]Language: English, Spanish
    [*]Subtitles: English, French, Spanish
    [*]Region: Region 1 (U.S. and Canada only)
    [*]Aspect Ratio: 1.33:1
    [*]Number of discs: 1
    [*]Rating: Not Rated
    [*]Studio: Warner Home Video
    [*]Run time: minutes
    [/list]

This single-disc set contains all 8 episodes from the season.

[*]"Rub Three Times for Disaster"
      [*]"Lex Luthor Strikes Back"
      [*]"The Space Knights of Camelon"
      [*]"The Lord of Middle Earth"
      [*]"The Universe of Evil"
      [*]"Terror at 20,000 Fathoms"
      [*]"The Super Friends Meet Frankenstein"
      [*]The Planet of Oz"
      [/list]

Picked up this set at Target today. These are great, action packed episodes with often unusual angles as the episode titles suggest.  Kids like them and so do I.  My favorite line from "The Space Knights of Camelon" is something like "These high taxes are criminal."  The Lex Luthor episode really keys off the first Christopher Reeve film and Lois Lane is drawn to look like Margot Kidder.

#1644 of 2674 OFFLINE   MattPriceTime

MattPriceTime

Second Unit

• 374 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn Park, MD

Posted June 23 2013 - 08:18 PM

And that post reminded me to look, but while it doesn't have a wider release announced, some third-parties are selling them on Amazon now...for a noticeable amount of money....but in case we have some people without Target stores, there lies some kind of option. Even again if it's only a sadder more expensive option, but an option none-the-less.

Blanket Quote for myself for all my postings from Feb 2014 and on

"i'm not shy to mention that i seem to be a major outlier on this forum. But i'm still highly boggled by some things posted here. But hey i can only be so critical but some things do bother me a bit, but to each their own. Even if it's odd conspiracies, not wanting to use terms correctly or just throwing hasty generalizations."

If the horse doesn't want to drink, i'm not going to lead them to water

#1645 of 2674 OFFLINE   JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes

Screenwriter

• 2,148 posts

Posted June 24 2013 - 03:35 PM

Picked up this set at Target today. These are great, action packed episodes with often unusual angles as the episode titles suggest.  Kids like them and so do I.  My favorite line from "The Space Knights of Camelon" is something like "These high taxes are criminal."  The Lex Luthor episode really keys off the first Christopher Reeve film and Lois Lane is drawn to look like Margot Kidder.

Sorry to quote myself, but after watching some more, I wanted to note the influence of Star Wars.  Instead of swords, the knights in Camalon use what are essentially light sabers and the munchkins in the Oz episode look strangely like Jawas.

#1646 of 2674 OFFLINE   derosa

derosa

Supporting Actor

• 821 posts

Posted June 24 2013 - 06:30 PM

I'm still hoping for a local release of this set.  I checked some of the Amazon sellers again today,

they want $20 + $44 shipping for the disc.   So i'll be waiting for a wider release.

And that post reminded me to look, but while it doesn't have a wider release announced, some third-parties are selling them on Amazon now...for a noticeable amount of money....but in case we have some people without Target stores, there lies some kind of option. Even again if it's only a sadder more expensive option, but an option none-the-less.

#1647 of 2674 OFFLINE   Mark Y

Mark Y

Supporting Actor

• 611 posts

Posted June 25 2013 - 04:32 AM

Worth noting that both Banana Splits and Fantastic Voyage are available here in the UK

I have that UK Banana Splits set. It's unfortunately the re-cut half-hours. I would be really ticked if that was all we got of the show from the Warner Archive. The issue with that show (as stated back in 2007 when they were planning to release it but then scrapped the project) was the only source material for the complete one-hour shows were video dubs a couple generation down (on one inch tape, copied from two-inch Quad video played back on a machine with misaligned heads so there were color banding issues). Furthermore, the tapes were re-edited rerun versions of Season 1 shows with Season 2 titles, credits, sponsor billboards and bumpers. Earl Kress said they did have the internationally syndicated one-hour versions in 16mm, and most of the film footage in 35mm, but cut into separate segments. They have at least some Season 2 segments but not the entire shows. In other words, reconstructing the full-length shows would be a nightmare.

But they've had a few years to work on it...

#1648 of 2674 OFFLINE   JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes

Screenwriter

• 2,148 posts

Posted June 25 2013 - 07:09 AM

I have that UK Banana Splits set. It's unfortunately the re-cut half-hours. I would be really ticked if that was all we got of the show from the Warner Archive.

Other than the fact that its not how the show was run originally, is there anything particularly bad about the recut half hours?

#1649 of 2674 OFFLINE   Mark Y

Mark Y

Supporting Actor

• 611 posts

Posted June 25 2013 - 09:56 AM

Other than the fact that its not how the show was run originally, is there anything particularly bad about the recut half hours?

Yes, there is missing footage -- a couple minutes of bits were cut from each episode back in 1970 when the re-edits were originally created. Further alterations were made when Turner remastered the half-hours for cable in the early 1990s -- doing edits to some segments, for instance the first episode, where they inserted footage from the picture portion of a different scene (apparently) because of a visible scratch on the original film which was there from day one -- the crazy part of this is if you haven't seen the segment as originally aired, you might not know! (This occurs at the top of the first show before the Arabian Knights cartoon.) There are some song segments in various episodes where alternate visuals were used (like a black background in one version vs. a chroma-key background in another version), including one where they replaced footage shot at Six Flags Over Texas with other scenes from the Season 2 opening titles shot at Coney Island (not Kings Island) in Cincinnati.

I taped the "cable versions" of the half-hours (which were sometimes different from the syndicated half-hours) when TNT ran them in the early 1990s. Much later I picked up the UK DVD set and discovered some instances where they cut a skit (from the already re-edited half-hours) and replaced it with another one from a different episode. I still have yet to go through them all to identify what's what.

This certainly isn't an iconic show like The Honeymooners or Twilight Zone, but even still, it ought to be available to be seen the way it originally was.

#1650 of 2674 OFFLINE   MattPriceTime

MattPriceTime

Second Unit

• 374 posts

Posted June 25 2013 - 11:01 AM

I'd imagine WA's plan is probably to see what (if any) they can find or fix up before ending up releasing the best they have if they rule it impracticable to waste any more time and money on trying to do what is needed. I guess the fact they haven't given up on those guys and just chugged them out is good news in a way, as i guess they still consider worthwhile to investigate and see what could happen.

"i'm not shy to mention that i seem to be a major outlier on this forum. But i'm still highly boggled by some things posted here. But hey i can only be so critical but some things do bother me a bit, but to each their own. Even if it's odd conspiracies, not wanting to use terms correctly or just throwing hasty generalizations."

#1651 of 2674 OFFLINE   JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes

Screenwriter

• 2,148 posts

Posted June 25 2013 - 02:55 PM

I wonder if there are any U.S. music right issues associated with the Splits?

#1652 of 2674 OFFLINE   Mark Y

Mark Y

Supporting Actor

• 611 posts

Posted June 25 2013 - 03:26 PM

I wonder if there are any U.S. music right issues associated with the Splits?

Not sure, other than the fact that they'd obviously have to pay royalties to use the songs. One episode was included in one of the Saturday Morning Cartoons compilation sets and both songs from the show in question were there (all three if you count the theme song). And all the songs from Season 1 are in the UK DVD set of the half-hours (though not all the skits).

Songs from the show were released on records back in the 1960s. Decca Records released an album and three singles, while Hanna-Barbera released a few other songs themselves on a couple of 45 EPs sold as a premium through Kellogg's cereals. (A few of the released songs apparently weren't used on the show.) Those Kellogg's 45s included two of the same songs on the Decca album (though they were different mixes). I remember the single version of "The Tra La La Song" being included on a Rhino compilation CD where the notes said it was licensed from MCA Records (aka Decca). But other CDs including Banana Splits songs have had (IIRC) a licensing credit for Turner Entertainment. So who knows, there may be some kind of issue there, or it may be unclear who owns which rights to what. I remember reading that Rhino Handmade had planned on doing a limited edition CD of the Banana Splits songs, but it was cancelled (though they did do a Josie & The Pussycats release). Whatever is the case, I hope the tapes didn't go up in the Universal fire (if they were even still in their posession). We may never know...

#1653 of 2674 OFFLINE   Mark Y

Mark Y

Supporting Actor

• 611 posts

Posted June 25 2013 - 03:30 PM

I'd imagine WA's plan is probably to see what (if any) they can find or fix up before ending up releasing the best they have if they rule it impracticable to waste any more time and money on trying to do what is needed. I guess the fact they haven't given up on those guys and just chugged them out is good news in a way, as i guess they still consider worthwhile to investigate and see what could happen.

I asked about the show once on Warner Archive's Facebook page and the response was that they intended to release the complete one hour shows (hypothetically, some day), but there were issues with the masters. Which is essentially what they had said back in 2007. No idea if anything has been done with them in the years since, but I imagine it's not their first priority.

Edited by Mark Y, June 25 2013 - 03:31 PM.

#1654 of 2674 OFFLINE   Ejanss

Ejanss

Screenwriter

• 2,452 posts

Posted June 26 2013 - 11:16 AM

I asked about the show once on Warner Archive's Facebook page and the response was that they intended to release the complete one hour shows (hypothetically, some day), but there were issues with the masters. Which is essentially what they had said back in 2007. No idea if anything has been done with them in the years since, but I imagine it's not their first priority.

I remember--back before all HB was exiled to the Archive--there were aborted plans to remarket the Splits, as an excuse to release the boxset, and then only as an excuse to satisfy all those fan requests for "New Adventures of Tom & Huck".  (Which seems to have been absorbed into the Splits reruns and couldn't be separated.)

We know which of the two fans REALLY want, but the issues seem to be all with the horse the cart is attached to.

#1655 of 2674 OFFLINE   Mark Y

Mark Y

Supporting Actor

• 611 posts

Posted June 27 2013 - 12:58 PM

I remember--back before all HB was exiled to the Archive--there were aborted plans to remarket the Splits, as an excuse to release the boxset, and then only as an excuse to satisfy all those fan requests for "New Adventures of Tom & Huck".  (Which seems to have been absorbed into the Splits reruns and couldn't be separated.)

We know which of the two fans REALLY want, but the issues seem to be all with the horse the cart is attached to.

I can't imagine they'd release The New Adventures Of Huckleberry Finn together with the Banana Splits. They ran the show on Cartoon Network and Boomerang (as a stand-alone show), but they appeared to be sourced from old syndication prints -- which weren't bad, but I doubt they'd pass the muster for digiital release today. I didn't catch it many times, but any time I did there were no opening titles. My guess is they took them from the syndicated Banana Splits package and skipped the Splits intro. Now whether that has any bearing on whether Warner has better copies of the shows, or has the correct show openings, is another question altogether. I'd pick it up if they released it.

I'm told there were two different intros, one with Aunt Polly and one without. In the closing credits, you'll see Ted Cassidy listed "as Injun Joe" and on certain shows, an actress whose name escapes me as Aunt Polly. These credits refer to the live-action prologues. But then in the body of the show, Ted Cassidy would voice that week's villain, who was drawn in the likeness of the Injun Joe character. With the prologues missing, viewers watching the reruns completely missed that.

The first thing you mentioned, about remarketing the Banana Splits, did happen, but I don't think they saw it through all the way like they planned. They did do a new series of shorts which aired on Boomerang (and they were supposed to have been on Cartoon Network before that). There also was an announcement for a "new album" to be released through Universal, but I don't think that ever happened. They did do some music videos of a couple new songs (they are on You Tube) but I never ran across them on Boomerang. I don't know if CN ran them. The new skits were kind of fun and pretty much in keeping with the spirit of the original show (they even brought back the joke wall from the second season), although it took me a little bit to get used to the voices.

Edited by Mark Y, June 27 2013 - 01:03 PM.

#1656 of 2674 OFFLINE   Sky Captain

Sky Captain

Second Unit

• 289 posts

Posted June 28 2013 - 02:18 AM

Both are owned by CBS Studios, and would be released on CBS DVD/Paramount Home Video.

I would think Captain Caveman, Clue Club and/or Banana Splits could be next on the list. I also like to know more about the status of the New Adventures of Gilligan as it is set i covet for my collection. I am huge Gilligan's Island Fan. I also like to see other show solved their license issues that are not necessarily tagged to HB: 1. Journey to the Center of the Earth 2. Fantastic Voyage 3. Jeannie! 4. Partridge Family 2200AD 5. Emergency +4 6. My Favourtie Martian.

1) Owned by 20th Century Fox, as well as (2).

3) Owned by Sony Pictures Television (show was a 'work for hire' job done by H-B)

4) Same as (3).

5) Owned by Universal Television and made by their cartoon studio.

6) Owned by Jack Chertok, with secondary rights most likely owned by DreamWorks Classics[color=rgb(0,0,0);font-family:sans-serif;font-size:13px;] (formerly known as [/color]Classic Media, which bought out the Filmation properties/assets, which made the cartoon in question.[color=rgb(0,0,0);font-family:sans-serif;font-size:13px;])[/color]

#1657 of 2674 OFFLINE   Sky Captain

Sky Captain

Second Unit

• 289 posts

Posted June 28 2013 - 03:12 AM

I went to a Target store in Toronto this morning,

but they didn't have the SuperFriends dvd.

No staff around knew anything, I guess it's only

in the USA stores right now.

Did you try HMV? They do have a big superstore at 333 Yonge Street.

#1658 of 2674 OFFLINE   derosa

derosa

Supporting Actor

• 821 posts

Posted June 28 2013 - 07:46 AM

At this time, the 1979 World's Greatest Superfriends set is exclusive to Target.

Did you try HMV? They do have a big superstore at 333 Yonge Street.

#1659 of 2674 OFFLINE   derosa

derosa

Supporting Actor

• 821 posts

Posted June 28 2013 - 07:51 AM

Warner Archive has been working on Clue Club, it was in one of their polls.

https://www.facebook...50586291946563/

1) Owned by 20th Century Fox, as well as (2).

3) Owned by Sony Pictures Television (show was a 'work for hire' job done by H-B)

#1660 of 2674 OFFLINE   MattPriceTime

MattPriceTime

Second Unit

• 374 posts

Posted June 28 2013 - 09:07 AM

And it was one they said they were planning on starting wor on earlier in the year. So it's a running favorite for what's next which it's success on the poll and not being a funny animal chopped apart.

Given that article that told us to expect Captain Caveman and Flintstones sequels, which that said article did report Roman Holidays and Marine Boy would be out and both came out. So if we look at polls, Cave Kids scored higher on a poll that some of the others and is a simple Flintstones spin off.

Those three are my top tier picks for what to be guessing are coming next.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users