-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

Next Hanna-Barbera set?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
2348 replies to this topic

#1581 of 2349 derosa

derosa

Supporting Actor

• 729 posts

Posted May 24 2013 - 05:26 AM

What's maddening right now is that all these pieces of a puzzle are spread out all over different places, and there really isn't a way for a fan to buy the shows they want, how they want them.  Ultimately, MOD would be so great if it was just an online menu of episodes, and we could select the ones we want, and then either download them as digital files to burn to disc, or click 'order disc' and they manufacture it, and ship it to us.

Or, alternatively, just redo the deal with iTunes to allow us to burn downloaded videos to a dvd, just like we can with music.  

Almost every episode of Scooby is on iTunes, but I don't want the digital files until i can burn them to a permanent disc.

https://itunes.apple...n-2/id254820915

would it really hurt anybody to just make MOD of the episodes that they already sell together in digitial downloads for the people that are willing to buy them?

Edited by derosa, May 24 2013 - 05:29 AM.

#1582 of 2349 Towergrove

Towergrove

Supporting Actor

• 691 posts

Posted May 24 2013 - 02:55 PM

What's maddening right now is that all these pieces of a puzzle are spread out all over different places, and there really isn't a way for a fan to buy the shows they want, how they want them.  Ultimately, MOD would be so great if it was just an online menu of episodes, and we could select the ones we want, and then either download them as digital files to burn to disc, or click 'order disc' and they manufacture it, and ship it to us.

Or, alternatively, just redo the deal with iTunes to allow us to burn downloaded videos to a dvd, just like we can with music.  

Almost every episode of Scooby is on iTunes, but I don't want the digital files until i can burn them to a permanent disc.

I files off itunes and did indeed burn them to a disc.  I also stored them on a thumb drive. or are you talking about downloading them to a dvd formatted optical disc that is playable on any dvd player or Bluray player???

Being a female is a matter of birth. Being a woman is a matter of age. But being a lady… Now that's a matter of choice.

#1583 of 2349 derosa

derosa

Supporting Actor

• 729 posts

Posted May 24 2013 - 03:49 PM

Yes, i think there are people (like some members here) that don't want only computer files of the shows, they want discs that are playable in any dvd player, and can store permanently without having to manage files.

Personally, I would buy a lot more videos from iTunes, if I was able to burn dvd playable discs from iTunes files.

are you talking about downloading them to a dvd formatted optical disc that is playable on any dvd player or Bluray player???

#1584 of 2349 Nebiroth

Nebiroth

Supporting Actor

• 737 posts

Posted May 25 2013 - 02:13 AM

If you could do that then you could also make multiple copies. Which is why the studios are pushing streaming rather than downloading so hard - and also why services like iTunes lock you into a format or player.

Amazon, for example, let you actually download a copy of your Kindle books - you have a local, standalone copy. But they only permit this because your Kindle books are in their own proprietry format, which can only be read on Kindle devices...or third party apps which have to be registered with Amazon.

It's DRM, DRM, DRM all the way....

So they are never going to have a system where you can download the episode or movie and then burn it into standard DVD format playable on any player. You could just run off as many copies as you want since DVD copy protection and DRM is extremely weak and has been broken comprehensively for many years.

#1585 of 2349 JMFabianoRPL

JMFabianoRPL

Stunt Coordinator

• 213 posts

Posted May 25 2013 - 11:38 AM

I know what was said pages ago on this thread, but I still can't help but wonder if WB is hiding something by not coming out with more complete Scooby sets.  The rest of the Movies I understand, but not so much the "lost" 1978 episodes.  They could do it on one disc, like the World's Greatest Superfriends.  As for the rest, well that's what I meant in the first sentence.  I still feel spreading them as bonuses on other discs is a way to get Scrappy episodes out there without having to use him as an advertising point.  (BTW have the 1979 episodes made it to Amazon along with the shorts?) 

Then again, this just might be a case of "more discs = more money for us." 

CBS = Constantly Butchering Shows.

#1586 of 2349 Ejanss

Ejanss

Screenwriter

• 1,345 posts

Posted May 25 2013 - 02:16 PM

And just tangentially off the subject of Warner/WA 70's-classic Hanna-Barbera boxsets:
Why is that OTHER countries seem to have fonder memories of certain 70's HB series than we do?  :blink:

(Sorry if it's been posted before, but it's still worthy of applause.)

Edited by Ejanss, May 25 2013 - 02:20 PM.

#1587 of 2349 MattPriceTime

MattPriceTime

Second Unit

• 374 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn Park, MD

Posted May 25 2013 - 03:12 PM

I know what was said pages ago on this thread, but I still can't help but wonder if WB is hiding something by not coming out with more complete Scooby sets.  The rest of the Movies I understand, but not so much the "lost" 1978 episodes.  They could do it on one disc, like the World's Greatest Superfriends.  As for the rest, well that's what I meant in the first sentence.  I still feel spreading them as bonuses on other discs is a way to get Scrappy episodes out there without having to use him as an advertising point.  (BTW have the 1979 episodes made it to Amazon along with the shorts?) 

Then again, this just might be a case of "more discs = more money for us." 

Yes they have that season available there.

They aren't afraid to sell them, and there not hiding anything in terms of Scrappy. Since those digital downloads clearly have him in the name, on the image and in the description.

Another aspect i don't think we mentioned yet, is that do recall that the random episode sets also can essentially be made forever and ever. They can double dip as much as they want, but in retrospect there are only so many collector season sets they have to do. While it's not a train of thought i agree with, that could be a very important line to look at it from the perspective of how they want to stall it out since Scooby is still popular.

The base line point though that we have all said and agreed to multiple times is that, WHV no doubt as the theoretical plans one day they may go back to do those sets. But none of us really expect that to happen any time soon. The Tom and Jerry kids and Superfriends season sets really did come out of nowhere, so we can have some hope in that regard that we may read the news sometime soon they decided to put out one of those.

Because if WHV didn't have any plans at all that they may one day do them, than everything we know about WB right now dictates WA should have gotten them, which of course this is probably the best option most of us want. But i say we wait and see in a couple months and see how they respond to questions about Tom & Jerry/Grape Ape/Mumbly. Hell if they can get that settled, there could be some more hope some others could flow out. Especially that Dynomutt season that's in limbo.

Blanket Quote for myself for all my postings from Feb 2014 and on

"i'm not shy to mention that i seem to be a major outlier on this forum. But i'm still highly boggled by some things posted here. But hey i can only be so critical but some things do bother me a bit, but to each their own. Even if it's odd conspiracies, not wanting to use terms correctly or just throwing hasty generalizations."

If the horse doesn't want to drink, i'm not going to lead them to water

#1588 of 2349 derosa

derosa

Supporting Actor

• 729 posts

Posted May 25 2013 - 04:37 PM

Yes, any 13 year old kid with a laptop can remove the DRM,

so if someone was interested in making illegal copies, it's easy now.

Itunes is all about selling downloads, not streaming.

Quite a few seasons of Scooby Doo, (Some with Scrappy)

have been out for years on iTunes that aren't on DVD.

They could put software into ITunes that would let you burn

1 or 2 copies of videos purchased and downloaded from Itunes store.

There is a limit now to how many times the music files can be

burned to CD, iTunes could do the same for DVD.

The people who would want to make illegal copies of that kind of disc

could easily do it anyway, just like any store-bought DVD.

I guess what i'm saying is that a legal way to buy downloads you can

burn to DVD is what should be available.   Worrying about the sharing

or stealing of those video files is stupid.  Anyone who wants to illegally 

pirate them can do so in 5 minutes by searching those sites that do

file-sharing.  Give us a legal way to buy those files!

As an alternative, a MOD option where you can pick the episodes you

want from a show, buy it from the WA website, they can burn it (with DRM)

and ship it to you would be a great option.

If you could do that then you could also make multiple copies. Which is why the studios are pushing streaming rather than downloading so hard - and also why services like iTunes lock you into a format or player.

It's DRM, DRM, DRM all the way....

So they are never going to have a system where you can download the episode or movie and then burn it into standard DVD format playable on any player. You could just run off as many copies as you want since DVD copy protection and DRM is extremely weak and has been broken comprehensively for many years.

Edited by derosa, May 25 2013 - 04:46 PM.

#1589 of 2349 JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes

Screenwriter

• 1,846 posts

Posted May 25 2013 - 05:56 PM

And just tangentially off the subject of Warner/WA 70's-classic Hanna-Barbera boxsets:
Why is that OTHER countries seem to have fonder memories of certain 70's HB series than we do?  :blink:

(Sorry if it's been posted before, but it's still worthy of applause.)

That's a five star commercial. Makes me want to buy a Pugeot, especially if real life Penelope comes with it!

#1590 of 2349 JamesSmith

JamesSmith

Supporting Actor

• 810 posts

Posted May 25 2013 - 06:37 PM

That's an outstanding commercial. Wish it would have played here in the states

Jthree

#1591 of 2349 younger1968

younger1968

Screenwriter

• 2,296 posts

Posted May 29 2013 - 01:59 PM

I broked down and purchased Roman Hollidays and Addams Family (1973) sets. However, the sets were expensive as i had to order them from amazon.com. It is too bad MOD program can not fix its issues with Canada.

#1592 of 2349 MattPriceTime

MattPriceTime

Second Unit

• 374 posts

Posted May 30 2013 - 12:34 PM

Speaking of Gus and his family, we're a month out now from the last release. So since WA seems to be working in patterns, wonder what we're in for next. We know they've got four (maybe five) long term projects in their work from what they've told us. So maybe they've slowed down on some of the easier ones and are trying to get at least one of them done? That article said expected CC out this year, and the success of Yogi's Gang's release might have made them want to speed up some funny animals?

Or maybe they are just lining up more of the lesser ones? If so then i'd say our next pattern of sets would have high chances of being Clue Club, Shirt Tales and Cave Kids.

I think we've gotten use to these on-train periods and off-train periods, but so far i hope they continue with keeping up a pace. And not going into a long drought like we had in 2011.

"i'm not shy to mention that i seem to be a major outlier on this forum. But i'm still highly boggled by some things posted here. But hey i can only be so critical but some things do bother me a bit, but to each their own. Even if it's odd conspiracies, not wanting to use terms correctly or just throwing hasty generalizations."

#1593 of 2349 Mark Y

Mark Y

Supporting Actor

• 556 posts

Posted May 31 2013 - 04:36 PM

Wow this does sound like a very dissapointing set. It makes me more grateful we have Warner Archive releasing the complete series sets that we want instead of the contunual compilations with lots of double and triple dipping that WHV keeps releasing. If this has poor sales hopefully it will convince them to turn all the HB material over to Warner Archive.

Just a heads-up on the Best Of Warner Bros. Hanna-Barbera release:

It includes a longer version of the "Here Comes A Star" Magilla Gorilla introductory special than is included on the Magilla Gorilla DVD set. This version includes a few clips of Yogi Bear, Huckleberry Hound and the Flintstones, which are triggered early in the special when Groucho's buddy George Fenneman is looking at their portraits on the wall. There also is a song from the movie Hey There It's Yogi Bear (Bill and Joe run it for George in the screening room). The whole thing runs about 29 minutes.

Just in case anyone's keeping score, the versions of the Yogi Bear show opening and closing included here are the USA Cartoon Express versions from the 1980s.

#1594 of 2349 MattPriceTime

MattPriceTime

Second Unit

• 374 posts

Posted May 31 2013 - 06:23 PM

I asked over on the flickir group but i guess i forgot too here too. But has anything at all come out as to what went wrong here? While we have the base assumption WHV screwed up, i have to point out the odd coincidences that when the art came out and it said 25 cartoon collection a lot of people raised a confusion because that long list clearly had more cartoons than 25, and then when the set was released it has exactly 25.

Now i'm all for calling out WHV when they do something wrong or questionable but i can't help but feel the real problem here was that press release list is what was messed up. Do we know of where that list originated from? Was it true at one point and WHV for some reason made it much smaller before release or was that just a bloated fake list someone didn't do enough fact checking on? Since a lot of the times lazy distributors love to just say what's on the back of the case for their press release and according to everyone on this site, the list of toons is nowhere to be found on said sets. So once again the simple question, where did that list actually come from?

#1595 of 2349 Mark Y

Mark Y

Supporting Actor

• 556 posts

Posted May 31 2013 - 10:28 PM

I asked over on the flickir group but i guess i forgot too here too. But has anything at all come out as to what went wrong here? While we have the base assumption WHV screwed up, i have to point out the odd coincidences that when the art came out and it said 25 cartoon collection a lot of people raised a confusion because that long list clearly had more cartoons than 25, and then when the set was released it has exactly 25.

Now i'm all for calling out WHV when they do something wrong or questionable but i can't help but feel the real problem here was that press release list is what was messed up. Do we know of where that list originated from? Was it true at one point and WHV for some reason made it much smaller before release or was that just a bloated fake list someone didn't do enough fact checking on? Since a lot of the times lazy distributors love to just say what's on the back of the case for their press release and according to everyone on this site, the list of toons is nowhere to be found on said sets. So once again the simple question, where did that list actually come from?

This is standard operating procedure. Same thing happened with the Saturday Morning Cartoons 1960s and 1970s sets. Put out a press release listing one version of the contents, and then release it with a different lineup. I bet this is the primary reason these kind of sets tend not to have the contents listed anywhere on the packaging as well: it's prepared too far in advance. Just watching the DVD you can tell it was compiled by someone who didn't know the material. That's insane, the QDM show opening and closing repeated six times before and after every cartoon from the show. I bet the legal department made them do that or something.

Edited by Mark Y, May 31 2013 - 10:30 PM.

• Greg Chenoweth likes this

#1596 of 2349 MattPriceTime

MattPriceTime

Second Unit

• 374 posts

Posted June 01 2013 - 11:26 AM

Well then i feel (barring some wrong turns down corporate world landscapes among that assessment) the high crux of the blame then belongs to the WHV press release department. At the very least they should make an effort to amend wrong information or include a disclaimer on the original announcement saying the lineup could be subject to change.

In the set itself feels very thrown together in that even if it was "wrong" in having a opening/closing on each cartoon, i would have liked they had kept a standard going on what their rule was. If we can't have 100% accurate at least give us some form of consistency. Sadly it appears this set didn't deliver either lol.

Edited by MattPriceTime, June 01 2013 - 11:44 AM.

#1597 of 2349 derosa

derosa

Supporting Actor

• 729 posts

Posted June 01 2013 - 11:36 AM

There is a potential mix-up as to which episode is actually on this upcoming Scooby compilation set.

The TVSHOWSONDVD news piece originally stated that the episode "Hang in there, Scooby-Doo"

from "Richie Rich/Scooby Doo Hour" is listed on this upcoming set.    I think a few people (myself

included) emailed them to say that the episode "Hang is there, Scooby-Doo" is from Sept 24, 1977  

(from Laff-A-Lympics).

But, here's the thing I didn't realize until now, another episode with almost the same name,

"Hang in there Scooby" aired Nov 22, 1980 as part of the "Richie Rich/Scooby Doo Show".  

So here's the thing:  Maybe the 1980 short from Richie Rich is what's coming on the next set, and

maybe the "Missing Eight" 1977 episodes are still coming out someday as a set?

TVShowsOnDVD list a forthcoming Scooby Doo set. It's yet another one of those compilation job (this one is called "Run for your Rife" - gettit?) and it includes another of the "Missing Eight" Scooby Doo Show episodes (actually, segments from the Laff-A-Lympics)- Hang in There, Scooby Doo.

There's no way I'm buying a whole bunch of compilation discs and doouble-dipping on a bunch of episodes just because Warner want me to. Why can;t they just release those eight episodes as a standalone release?

Attached Thumbnails

• hang.jpg

Edited by derosa, June 01 2013 - 11:39 AM.

#1598 of 2349 derosa

derosa

Supporting Actor

• 729 posts

Posted June 01 2013 - 12:01 PM

SO - what's going to happen with the "Best of 50" set coming out June 25th?

http://www.amazon.co...ef=pd_sim_mov_2

#1599 of 2349 Ron Lee Green

Ron Lee Green

Supporting Actor

• 585 posts

Posted June 01 2013 - 01:48 PM

What's the current status with the Jeannie and the Partridge Family cartoons?

They are Hanna-Barbera cartoons of Sony properties? Correct?

Hanna-Barbera is owned by Warners, but isn't Warners working with Sony by releasing some of their shows to MOD like Bridget Loves Bernie, and Ghost Story, etc. Can't they strike some kind of deal?

Or is it something more problemetic like actors royalities because the toons used the actor's likenesses?

The Patridge family, maybe, yes, but what about Jeannie?

I thought they purposely made the characters teenagers and Jeannie a redhead so Barbara Eden couldn't say it was her likeness.

"Congratulations. You're still in the running towards becoming America's Next Top Model."

#1600 of 2349 MattPriceTime

MattPriceTime

Second Unit

• 374 posts

Posted June 01 2013 - 03:31 PM

Sony only has an agreement with WB to be able to sell their MODs on Wbshop. Sony is still making all decisions on them though. Hence why often Sony MODs aren't included in every sale.

As far as that program is concerned, Sony is having some problems right now as we all know, but they have done some animation releases through their MOD program and they even did the first Jeannie telefilm through it. As long as that program stays in progress i think it is likely we'll see those two Sony HB shows get released. I'd bank they have the best odds of the non-WB owned shows to make it to DVD as of what's left.

However now that they have some financial issues i wonder if Warner will be willing to pay them some cash for the two properties they know are probably going to sell moderately well but aren't exactly cash cows. We have to wait and see but don't fret there's plenty to be optimistic about for those two at least. Now those CBS ones, now there you can panic XD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users