-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

Next Hanna-Barbera set?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
2347 replies to this topic

#1561 of 2348 moviebuff75

moviebuff75

Second Unit

• 470 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis, Indiana

Posted May 07 2013 - 07:35 AM

The very first episode on this Superfriends set is missing the music for the episode title card. Error or has it been like this?

Proud HTF Member Since: April, 2001

#1562 of 2348 Greg Chenoweth

Greg Chenoweth

Supporting Actor

• 626 posts

Posted May 11 2013 - 04:26 PM

I got the Popeye DVD set from Warner Archive today.  I haven't had time to watch it but I can tell you that it is on DVD-R discs, not pressed.

#1563 of 2348 MattPriceTime

MattPriceTime

Second Unit

• 374 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn Park, MD

Posted May 20 2013 - 04:04 AM

Good Morning everyone. While i don't have firm news, WA gave me a response this morning that might very well be the hint the shoe we have been wanting to drop could be the closest it's ever been.

Can you divulge some information on what is the state now of the Tom&Jerry/GrapeApe/Mumbly show? We fans had been assuming since WB is mostly doing shows as they aired this show would be property of WHV because they maintained the Tom & Jerry shows. But it was not long ago you all said that you are now planning to one day release Grape Ape. Can you tell us if Mumbly is now also allowed to be done via the WA? I assume the Tom and Jerry part is still at WHV, unless of course by some magical whim they sent that your way too? I ask this too because WHV recently put out Tom and Jerry Kids season 1, so i'm curious if they have plans for the rest of Tom and Jerry shows on DVD and just sent Grape Ape and Mumbly your way?

WA: Nothing has been firmed up in this regard at the moment.

It's small but it would appear this is the friendly answer to say THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT IT!.The Scooby random episode sets stopped. The Smurfs tie-in sets are just randoms. It seems to me we have plenty of reason to believe WHV might be having thoughts about sending those season sets they have been holding off to WA. The fact that they didn't say it was set, means to me they are thinking about giving them the T&J part too. If they do that, then the Scoobys and Smurfs could once again be fair game too.

Sometimes it may feel like we're preaching to the choir but quite frankly this could be the shoe we have been waiting to drop. I can't say how many times i posted to people saying one day WHV might realize they could sell those sets through WA, and this seems to imply that day could be coming sooner than later.

Blanket Quote for myself for all my postings from Feb 2014 and on

"i'm not shy to mention that i seem to be a major outlier on this forum. But i'm still highly boggled by some things posted here. But hey i can only be so critical but some things do bother me a bit, but to each their own. Even if it's odd conspiracies, not wanting to use terms correctly or just throwing hasty generalizations."

If the horse doesn't want to drink, i'm not going to lead them to water

#1564 of 2348 derosa

derosa

Supporting Actor

• 729 posts

Posted May 21 2013 - 08:34 AM

The Scooby random episode sets stopped..... It seems to me we have plenty of reason to believe WHV might be having thoughts about sending those season sets they have been holding off to WA. The fact that they didn't say it was set, means to me they are thinking about giving them the T&J part too. If they do that, then the Scoobys and Smurfs could once again be fair game too.

Sometimes it may feel like we're preaching to the choir but quite frankly this could be the shoe we have been waiting to drop. I can't say how many times i posted to people saying one day WHV might realize they could sell those sets through WA, and this seems to imply that day could be coming sooner than later.

Not sure how this fits into your theory, but WHV announced another random Scooby set today:

http://www.tvshowson...Your-Rife/18478

#1565 of 2348 Greg Chenoweth

Greg Chenoweth

Supporting Actor

• 626 posts

Posted May 21 2013 - 09:22 AM

Remember, Everyone, that released today is BEST OF WARNER BROS: HANNA-BARBERA DVD set with 25 Classic H-B shows represented on the set.  It has Ruff and Reddy, Huckleberry Hound, Hokey Wolf, Pixie & Dixie, Yogi Bear, Snagglepuss, Yakky Doodle, Loopy de Loop, Quick Draw McGraw, Super Snooper, Augie Doggie, The Flintstones, Top Cat, The Jetsons, Jonny Quest, Space Ghost, Frankenstein Jr., Atom Ant, Secret Squirrel, Wally Gator, Lippy & Hardy, Touche Turtle, Cattanooga Cats and Abbott & Costello and much, much more.  I forgot Magilla Gorilla and Peter Potamus.

It is available in Target stores nationwide and I am going to pick up my copy today.  I'll post comments after perusing the set tonight.  This is the first major H-B retail release, besides Scooby Doo and the Smurfs, in a long time.  I am really looking forward to it.

#1566 of 2348 JMFabianoRPL

JMFabianoRPL

Stunt Coordinator

• 213 posts

Posted May 21 2013 - 03:12 PM

I got the Popeye DVD set from Warner Archive today.  I haven't had time to watch it but I can tell you that it is on DVD-R discs, not pressed.

But is the quality good? 

CBS = Constantly Butchering Shows.

#1567 of 2348 MattPriceTime

MattPriceTime

Second Unit

• 374 posts

Posted May 21 2013 - 03:27 PM

Another random Scooby set means that they are still keeping that line going. Which quite frankly i don't think any of us thought it would stop. It's easy money for WHV. However i say it fits in with the theory overall. Since WHV still released some of those 4 Kids favorite packs of shows that went to WA. Plus as Greg has mentioned there is that Best of Hanna Barbera set now. So both product of random episode retail sets and season sets could easily co-exist.

The fact WHV and WA are talking about one of the parts that have problems about who/when it's coming out to the public. So if WA wins this smaller battle, then it should help bolster an argument for them being able to work on the others.

"i'm not shy to mention that i seem to be a major outlier on this forum. But i'm still highly boggled by some things posted here. But hey i can only be so critical but some things do bother me a bit, but to each their own. Even if it's odd conspiracies, not wanting to use terms correctly or just throwing hasty generalizations."

#1568 of 2348 Greg Chenoweth

Greg Chenoweth

Supporting Actor

• 626 posts

Posted May 21 2013 - 03:44 PM

But is the quality good? 

Yes, it is.  The quality is very good.  I have been enjoying the set very much.  These are the Popeye cartoons that I grew up with and I am surprised at how many I remember from my childhood because I haven't seen them in fifty years.  It has the original openings.  I remember the King Features logo and Popeye coming out tooting his pipe.  The cartoons are about 5 minutes and 40 seconds so they can get a lot of cartoons onto each disc.

#1569 of 2348 Greg Chenoweth

Greg Chenoweth

Supporting Actor

• 626 posts

Posted May 21 2013 - 06:21 PM

Boy, I am so disappointed with this "Best of Warner Bros" set featuring Hanna-Barbera. Even though Huck and Yogi are on the cover there is no cartoons with these two classic characters in this set. There is the Yogi opening theme song but no Yogi cartoon. The advertised cartoon from "The Huckleberry Hound Show" is actually a Hokey Wolf cartoon and that's it.

There is no Ruff and Reddy, Lippy the Lion, Wally Gator or Cattanooga Cats. There are two complete Quick Draw episodes including Super Snooper and Augie Doggie which accounts for 6 of the 25 cartoons and these were already released on the Saturday Morning compilations. There are 2 Hokey Wolf cartoons, Loopy de Loop, Flintstones, Top Cat, Jetsons, Magilla Gorilla, 2 Peter Potamus cartoons, and the others.

This set is nothing like it was advertised to be and I might ask for my money back.

I'm posting this at Cartoon Research Facebook page as well.

#1570 of 2348 derosa

derosa

Supporting Actor

• 729 posts

Posted May 21 2013 - 06:33 PM

That's crazy!  Where did the listing come from on the cartoon brew site?
I thought that was officially the content, I wonder what happened?

http://www.cartoonbr...bera-76903.html

There is no Ruff and Reddy, Lippy the Lion, Wally Gator or Cattanooga Cats. There are two complete Quick Draw episodes including Super Snooper and Augie Doggie which accounts for 6 of the 25 cartoons and these were already released on the Saturday Morning compilations. There are 2 Hokey Wolf cartoons, Loopy de Loop, Flintstones, Top Cat, Jetsons, Magilla Gorilla, 2 Peter Potamus cartoons, and the others.

This set is nothing like it was advertised to be and I might ask for my money back.

I'm posting this at Cartoon Research Facebook page as well.

#1571 of 2348 Greg Chenoweth

Greg Chenoweth

Supporting Actor

• 626 posts

Posted May 21 2013 - 07:54 PM

The Yogi Bear theme song plays with a Snagglepuss cartoon, no Yogi or Yakky cartoon. Get this, the Quick Draw open and close plays before and after each Quick Draw cartoon, each Augie Doggie cartoon and each Snooper cartoon. The Quick Draw open and close plays a total of six times each.

#1572 of 2348 MattPriceTime

MattPriceTime

Second Unit

• 374 posts

Posted May 21 2013 - 10:56 PM

I'm guessing by the sounds of this, it was just a slapped together thing by a more lazy WHV team then. As i had confessed i never really had interest in the set but it's a bit questionable how it's like that. The press release information everyone reported should have been accurate or at least ammended to deal with changes. I'm of course assuming the change was internal, since without evidence the fault could be the news outlets had wrong information. But until the dust settles i guess we should wait to see how it all plays out to be fair to all the parties involved.

But i would say this irons home the fact it's all the more reason we should be happy WA is in discussion of trying to get at least one of the things WHV maintains their way. They've been working on things nice and steadily and getting to stuff. WHV jumps into doing a random set of some of those shows and you end up with this crazy concotion.

#1573 of 2348 Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick

Screenwriter

• 2,342 posts

Posted May 22 2013 - 06:41 AM

Wow this does sound like a very dissapointing set. It makes me more grateful we have Warner Archive releasing the complete series sets that we want instead of the contunual compilations with lots of double and triple dipping that WHV keeps releasing. If this has poor sales hopefully it will convince them to turn all the HB material over to Warner Archive.

The Yogi Bear theme song plays with a Snagglepuss cartoon, no Yogi or Yakky cartoon. Get this, the Quick Draw open and close plays before and after each Quick Draw cartoon, each Augie Doggie cartoon and each Snooper cartoon. The Quick Draw open and close plays a total of six times each.

...When you eliminate the impossible whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth

Top 20 Films

#1574 of 2348 derosa

derosa

Supporting Actor

• 729 posts

Posted May 22 2013 - 03:14 PM

WA has posted on Facebook recently that "Anything involving T&J would be a WHV release at this point"

Also, The WA facebook page don't seem to answer questions about Scooby/Richie Rich either,

likely because it's controlled by WHV.

It seems to me we have plenty of reason to believe WHV might be having thoughts about sending those season sets they have been holding off to WA. The fact that they didn't say it was set, means to me they are thinking about giving them the T&J part too. 

#1575 of 2348 MattPriceTime

MattPriceTime

Second Unit

• 374 posts

Posted May 23 2013 - 03:29 AM

Where have you read any response from them since the day of mine. On that day they were asked two questions on T&J. One about the Deitch era ones, saying they would come from WHV.

My posting asking if Grape Ape went over to WA, Did Mumbly and The Tom and Jerry segments too? They said nothing was firmed up at that time.

I just checked the page and see nothing else about Tom and Jerry in any form since then. The response to mine is the departure from the quite you have posted, as for months(maybe years) that has been there only comment, as well as on Scooby Doo sets. The fact they didn't respond back that the Tom and Jerry segments weren't still under that strict rule, is why we believe they are in talks. They answer questions openly on the other split apart shows, so i have no doubts they would have just told me, the T&J segments were still WHV if there was no discussions to the contrary (since they talk about the Captain Caveman, Fangface and others segments that used to be a part of shows that WHV still maintains the rest for release)

Since WHV has started Tom and Jerry kids, and Scooby and Smurfs being more popular than what is considered on of T&J's less popular versions, then that is the one they probably went after in talks. If anything i imagine WHV may have released Grape Ape and Mumbly too them but WA is asking for the Tom and Jerry parts so they can do the shows as originally aired instead of the later syndicated.versions. Hence why they say it's not firmed up. If they can they'll do the complete versions or if not then we'll get syndicated Grape Ape and Mumbly. If this becomes the case we will have to wonder if WHV did/will do the same for Dynomutt and the Richie Rich and Puppy seasons combined with Scooby not yet released.

Now if we see them go back to stating everything tom and Jerry will be WHV then we know any "discussions" probably flopped, but there's been no recent update then my question or the one asked by the guy who posted one below me.

And on another note press releases are now up to later in the year. We should be hearing about WHV's next laff-a-lympics plans soon. Since those next games are in early 2014 and press releases naturally come out months in advance to give time for orders, i imagine they will want some form of the show on the market for that olympic season.

#1576 of 2348 Nebiroth

Nebiroth

Supporting Actor

• 737 posts

Posted May 23 2013 - 09:45 AM

TVShowsOnDVD list a forthcoming Scooby Doo set. It's yet another one of those compilation job (this one is called "Run for your Rife" - gettit?) and it includes another of the "Missing Eight" Scooby Doo Show episodes (actually, segments from the Laff-A-Lympics)- Hang in There, Scooby Doo.

There's no way I'm buying a whole bunch of compilation discs and doouble-dipping on a bunch of episodes just because Warner want me to. Why can;t they just release those eight episodes as a standalone release?

For those who don;t know, the "Missing Eight" are:

The Curse of Viking Lake

Vampire Bats and Scaredy Cats

Hang in There, Scooby Doo

The Chillder Diller Movie Thriller

The Spooky Case of the Grand Prix Race

The Ozark Witch Switch

The Creepy Cruise

The Creep Heap from the Deep

Vampire Bats and Scaredy Cats and The Ozark Witch Switch can be found as standalone episode on the two Spookiest Tales compilations. This forthcoming release leaves five to go.

#1577 of 2348 derosa

derosa

Supporting Actor

• 729 posts

Posted May 23 2013 - 11:29 AM

Thanks, I missed the fact that is an episode of ScoobyDoo from the Laff-A-Lympics series

because TVSHOWSONDVD has it identified as from "The Richie Rich/Scooby-Doo Hour"

which isn't right, because it's sort of a made up name, despite being from the wrong show!

TVShowsOnDVD list a forthcoming Scooby Doo set. It's yet another one of those compilation job (this one is called "Run for your Rife" - gettit?) and it includes another of the "Missing Eight" Scooby Doo Show episodes (actually, segments from the Laff-A-Lympics)- Hang in There, Scooby Doo.

There's no way I'm buying a whole bunch of compilation discs and doouble-dipping on a bunch of episodes just because Warner want me to. Why can;t they just release those eight episodes as a standalone release?

#1578 of 2348 JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes

Screenwriter

• 1,845 posts

Posted May 23 2013 - 07:46 PM

For those who don;t know, the "Missing Eight" are:

The Curse of Viking Lake

Vampire Bats and Scaredy Cats

Hang in There, Scooby Doo

The Chillder Diller Movie Thriller

The Spooky Case of the Grand Prix Race

The Ozark Witch Switch

The Creepy Cruise

The Creep Heap from the Deep

Vampire Bats and Scaredy Cats and The Ozark Witch Switch can be found as standalone episode on the two Spookiest Tales compilations. This forthcoming release leaves five to go.

Perhaps after they have spread out the cost of the transfer or whatever of each of the missing 8 over 8 crappy compilation dvds, they will release a compilation of the missing 8 that people want.

#1579 of 2348 derosa

derosa

Supporting Actor

• 729 posts

Posted May 23 2013 - 09:11 PM

There's no way I'm buying a whole bunch of compilation discs and doouble-dipping on a bunch of episodes just because Warner want me to. 

Likewise, the episode "Snow Job Too Small" (Scooby-Doo and Scrappy-Doo 7-minute short)

is another double dip on the next set.  That one was just released on the recent set, "Spooky Tales,

holiday thrills and chills"   That set was just like this newly announced set, almost all recycled material.  

Only 2 or 3 shorts have been released from "The Scooby and Scrappy-Doo/Puppy Hour" and WHV is

already double-dipping the same episode on two different sets less than a year apart?  Nuts.

#1580 of 2348 MattPriceTime

MattPriceTime

Second Unit

• 374 posts

Posted May 24 2013 - 01:44 AM

I'm guessing the ship of WHV doing Scooby sets is probably more sunk again since the window of time since the release of Mask of the Blue Falcon didn't result in them making a move.

So our better hope is that WHV will let WA eventually do them, while they continue to do random episode sets to sell in stores. As we've said enough times till we are blue in the face if WHV can do random sets of other products they sent to WA, would it really hurt anybody to just make MOD of the episodes that they already sell together in digitial downloads for the people that are willing to buy them?

I'm guessing the problem is WHV still sees some market value in those sets whenever they are made could sell in stores because it's Scooby Doo. Of course the fact that they are probably making excellent returns on random episode sets for kids doesn't help in favor of us seeing them do season sets any time soon.

I'm not sure why of all the shows left in WHV's grasp Tom and Jerry Kids was the one for them to return to for HB season sets. But it brings us back to our eventual logic that in a decade or so when WA is releasing the really bottom of the barrell HB shows if we still don't have season sets for those Scooby, Smurf and T&J shows, WHV should clearly see they would sell well enough.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users