Next Hanna-Barbera set?

• Please log in to reply
2386 replies to this topic

#1541 of 2387 Ejanss

Ejanss

Screenwriter

• 1,345 posts

Posted April 23 2013 - 12:31 PM

These are the 1980-1983 episodes and are the biggest gap. This series added yet another "ethnic diversity" hero, El Dorado - previously we got Black Vulcan, Apache Chief and Samurai

Not to mention that even though the Wonder Twins have now been ushered into DC print canon, they were originally created for the show--

In 70's Saturday morning, the rule was "Follow the lead of popular movies/TV", and...just wanna see, how many here are actually OLD enough to remember Donny & Marie's show making jokes about purple socks, and "Cute, Marie, real cute"? 

#1542 of 2387 JMFabianoRPL

JMFabianoRPL

Stunt Coordinator

• 213 posts

Posted April 23 2013 - 01:30 PM

I think one of my favourites is Colossus (not yet released) where Apache Chief "En-ek-chock"s multiple times over until he is much bigger than the whole Earth. According to Wiki his tribal powers were originally limited to making him about 50 feet tall, but he learnt to extend it to unlimted size from The Atom.

The phrase apparently means "Big Man" in the Apache language.

The episode is notable for the create in question to literally put Earth into a bottle as a toy!

Yes I remember a cartoon where he said his phrase multiple times.  Thank you for confirming its existence! 

Good thing the villain du juor didn't have a cup of coffee on him, eh? ;-) 

Anyway to reply to other posts...I didn't know the remaining "lost" shorts made two seasons.  I stand corrected.  Also, the Legion of Doom primarily starred in Challenge, but representatives from the group returned in said lost shorts.  And Lex and Brainiac would return as solo acts in the Super Powers seasons.  As would the Scarecrow in one of the most memorable SF/SP episodes, the one that first presented Batman's origin on TV no less! 

CBS = Constantly Butchering Shows.

#1543 of 2387 derosa

derosa

Supporting Actor

• 736 posts

Posted April 23 2013 - 03:57 PM

Did anyone make it to a target today to get a copy?

I'm going to try a Toronto store tomorrow, I'm not confident that
they'll have it, but I'll give it a shot.

#1544 of 2387 Travis87

Travis87

Stunt Coordinator

• 60 posts

Posted April 23 2013 - 04:03 PM

I stopped by while I was out today and grabbed one.  And I've watched half of it so far.

#1545 of 2387 derosa

derosa

Supporting Actor

• 736 posts

Posted April 23 2013 - 04:37 PM

I did forget to mention that itunes has all those shorts
Available to download. It's not DVD, but it does mean
that a Superfriends fans can watch the whole series!

There are 42 remaining SuperFriends shorts to see a dvd release

8 episodes of 3 shorts from 1980-81
6 episodes of 3 shorts from 1981-82

http://en.wikipedia....riends_episodes

Edited by derosa, April 23 2013 - 04:37 PM.

#1546 of 2387 Towergrove

Towergrove

Supporting Actor

• 712 posts

Posted April 23 2013 - 06:04 PM

I stopped by while I was out today and grabbed one.  And I've watched half of it so far.

These are some of my favourite and most memorable episodes of the series.  I'm glad to have bought them today.  I wonder if they plan to release the rest of them as we get closer to the Man of Steel theater and home video release?

Do anyone have any ideas as to what we should expect for the next HB release?  I purchased the Roman Holidays today.  Can wait for the next installment in the HB library!

Being a female is a matter of birth. Being a woman is a matter of age. But being a lady… Now that's a matter of choice.

#1547 of 2387 Towergrove

Towergrove

Supporting Actor

• 712 posts

Posted April 23 2013 - 06:07 PM

I'm assuming TVShowsOnDVD don't report such exclusives because they would, essentially, be doing free adverts for the store - in this case Target.

Interesting thought they report on Warner Archive titles when they are exclusive to the Warner online shop for a small period of time, yet for a target exclusive, which is also for a small period of exclusivity, they look over it.  Doesnt make any since to me and is bad for the consumer that reads that website for making buying decisions.  And how is it any different I ask??

Being a female is a matter of birth. Being a woman is a matter of age. But being a lady… Now that's a matter of choice.

#1548 of 2387 derosa

derosa

Supporting Actor

• 736 posts

Posted April 23 2013 - 06:30 PM

Doesnt make any since to me and is bad for the consumer that reads that website for making buying decisions.  And how is it any different I ask??

I like tvshowsondvd a lot, so this isn't really a criticism,
But they seem aligned with Amazon for their paid ads
and I'm ok with that. It would be nice though if they did
mention releases like this SuperFriends. There is a lot
less good news for retro fans theses days, and if you didn't
tell us about the target ad, we might have missed the news.

#1549 of 2387 Towergrove

Towergrove

Supporting Actor

• 712 posts

Posted April 24 2013 - 03:26 AM

I like tvshowsondvd a lot, so this isn't really a criticism,
But they seem aligned with Amazon for their paid ads
and I'm ok with that. It would be nice though if they did
mention releases like this SuperFriends. There is a lot
less good news for retro fans theses days, and if you didn't
tell us about the target ad, we might have missed the news.

Thanks Derosa. I really like tvshowsondvd too. It's funny though but I would have missed the Superfriends DVD if I wasn't perusing the ads for a new springtime clothes. Didn't find my dress but I've got my Superfriends (hehe).

#1550 of 2387 derosa

derosa

Supporting Actor

• 736 posts

Posted April 24 2013 - 08:12 AM

I went to a Target store in Toronto this morning,

but they didn't have the SuperFriends dvd.

No staff around knew anything, I guess it's only

in the USA stores right now.

#1551 of 2387 Travis87

Travis87

Stunt Coordinator

• 60 posts

Posted April 24 2013 - 09:31 AM

These are some of my favourite and most memorable episodes of the series.  I'm glad to have bought them today.  I wonder if they plan to release the rest of them as we get closer to the Man of Steel theater and home video release?

I really like them too, and the more ridiculous the story the better...  I may be alone, but a lot of the appeal of Super Friends for me is laughing how cheesy it gets.  I was introduced to the series on Cartoon Network in the mid 90s and I used to laugh my head off.  I have no doubt they'll finish the series on dvd now, but who knows when.  I just hope they knock it out in a single set.

#1552 of 2387 JMFabianoRPL

JMFabianoRPL

Stunt Coordinator

• 213 posts

Posted April 24 2013 - 02:49 PM

Lex is also in this series that was just released, in an homage episode to Superman: The Movie (basically).  Bizarro also appears outside of Challenge of the Superfriends, both in the '80s shorts and Super Powers Team.

#1553 of 2387 Mr. Papagiorgio

Mr. Papagiorgio

Stunt Coordinator

• 75 posts

Posted April 28 2013 - 05:00 AM

Given that Roman Holidays didn't do that good in the polls, I'm surprised it got released already.  I hope we get some more GoBots and Mister T soon as it has been two years since the last releases.

#1554 of 2387 younger1968

younger1968

Screenwriter

• 2,306 posts

Posted April 28 2013 - 07:38 AM

Given that Roman Holidays didn't do that good in the polls, I'm surprised it got released already.  I hope we get some more GoBots and Mister T soon as it has been two years since the last releases.

Roman Hollidays was part of the saturday morning set as such i am not surprised it was released. There are only a few left from saturday morning set, like Tarzan or New Adventurs of Gilligan or Banana Splits.

I am happy that more sets are coming out, but it has been a very slow process. In two months we will be half way through another year and there are still many releases still to come. I plan to get Roman Hollidays, Yogi Gang down the road, but i have to order them from amazon.com as amazon.ca does not sell them due issues with WB archive and Amazon Canada.

I am wondering if Clue Club is next on the list as it was popular in the polls. I also be interested to know what is happening with Banana Splits or these our the day or other shows.

I also like forums like this as i can share my love of cartoons with similar people. I am in my forties and i still love the classic cartoons. I have nearly 50 completed sets now and i usually watch one dvd from my set each weekend. I do take a lot of ribbing from my special lady as she says i am too old for cartoons!! I told her that you never too old for cartoons as all us are still a kid at heart!!

#1555 of 2387 MattPriceTime

MattPriceTime

Second Unit

• 374 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn Park, MD

Posted April 28 2013 - 01:12 PM

Them jumping to Roman Holidays wasn't that far of a stretch assuming the ones that finishd ahead of it were also started. The Holdays are no doubt one of the most untouched ones so it would more than likely had a very quick prep time. It was #6 on the second poll. #3 (Hair Bear Bunch) and #4 (Ed Grimley) were released. #2 (Clue Club) is confirmed to have started being worked on. Chances are good then that #1 (New Hanna Barbera Cartoon Series) and #5 (Shirt Tales) are also probably being worked on.

(Others being #7 Fantastic Max #8 Loopy De Loop #9 Wheres Huddles #10 Johnny Cyhper (another non HB/RS outsider))

On the first one: #1 (Chan Clan), #3 (Inch High), #4 (Sky Commanders), #7 (Butch Cassidy) are out. #2 (Marine Boy) is an outsider in it's own section of the library that they seem to have implied was being worked on. #5 (Cave Kids) is a strong candidate for release given that the article out recentlly said more Flintstones releases were coming. #6 (Paddington Bear) i'm not sure of my mind is telling me they said clearance issues but i can't guarentee that off the top of my head, and #8 (Police Academy) was started. PA however according to the best selling algorithm on their website is lower than Mr T and Gobots, so i doubt they have plans to rush to finish that one any time soon.

(Others being #9 Heyy It's the King, #10 Dink the Little DInosaur)

Overall i'm predicting Clue Club is the most likely next release. Could be wrong though, if any of those funny animals or CC get done or Cave Kids is given a quick rush those could come out first.

But at the same time don't forget the Tom and Jerry Kids Season 1 sets come out this week to stores from WHV.

Edited by MattPriceTime, April 28 2013 - 02:48 PM.

• Towergrove likes this

Blanket Quote for myself for all my postings from Feb 2014 and on

"i'm not shy to mention that i seem to be a major outlier on this forum. But i'm still highly boggled by some things posted here. But hey i can only be so critical but some things do bother me a bit, but to each their own. Even if it's odd conspiracies, not wanting to use terms correctly or just throwing hasty generalizations."

If the horse doesn't want to drink, i'm not going to lead them to water

#1556 of 2387 Travis87

Travis87

Stunt Coordinator

• 60 posts

Posted May 01 2013 - 01:19 PM

Wow, just around the corner we're getting more Super Friends! http://tvshowsondvd....-Season-5/18392

#1557 of 2387 MattPriceTime

MattPriceTime

Second Unit

• 374 posts

Posted May 01 2013 - 01:34 PM

The only SF season i bought was Challenge as it was the one i really liked, but this is great news for SF fans.

What does this leave missing now for them? I'm assumign the Target volume will end up wide released soon enough, so outside of that, how many more?

And as a tie-in, this bodes well in hopes the Scooby season sets will get to make a return in the future. WHV is on a roll now with returning season sets for WB shows and DC shows. Here's to hoping HB will get to be on that roll too. We already have one set out now in T&JK, let's keep the ball rolling please.

"i'm not shy to mention that i seem to be a major outlier on this forum. But i'm still highly boggled by some things posted here. But hey i can only be so critical but some things do bother me a bit, but to each their own. Even if it's odd conspiracies, not wanting to use terms correctly or just throwing hasty generalizations."

#1558 of 2387 JMFabianoRPL

JMFabianoRPL

Stunt Coordinator

• 213 posts

Posted May 01 2013 - 03:03 PM

The only SF season i bought was Challenge as it was the one i really liked, but this is great news for SF fans.

What does this leave missing now for them? I'm assumign the Target volume will end up wide released soon enough, so outside of that, how many more?

And as a tie-in, this bodes well in hopes the Scooby season sets will get to make a return in the future. WHV is on a roll now with returning season sets for WB shows and DC shows. Here's to hoping HB will get to be on that roll too. We already have one set out now in T&JK, let's keep the ball rolling please.

As mentioned previously, there are two seasons of shorts that remain unreleased from between 1980-1982. 

#1559 of 2387 JMFabianoRPL

JMFabianoRPL

Stunt Coordinator

• 213 posts

Posted May 01 2013 - 03:04 PM

As mentioned previously, there are two seasons of shorts that remain unreleased from between 1980-1982. 

Oops!  Make that one!  (the 1981 season)  I missed the link above. 

#1560 of 2387 MattPriceTime

MattPriceTime

Second Unit

• 374 posts

Posted May 01 2013 - 03:13 PM

Well then that's pretty good covering on them. After that they'll probably be going back to think about the other two segments from Plastic Man DC still has soverignty over.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users