Next Hanna-Barbera set?

• Please log in to reply
2399 replies to this topic

#1441 of 2400 JMFabianoRPL

JMFabianoRPL

Stunt Coordinator

• 213 posts

Posted March 06 2013 - 10:10 AM

I think the New Adventures show is great. Some of the episodes (Penguin's School of Crime) are outstanding and Adam and Burt do great voice work. I really hope Warner releases the 68 Adventures series, either in stores or through the archive. Amazon has the Adventures show available for download. Does anyone know if any thing is missing?

I have to watch the rest, but remember the first few eps. being really corny. And yeah, now I remember the '68 series being on Amazon! I guess that might be why we haven't seen certain series pop up on DVD, because everything's going digital? Speaking of which, I assume the 1980-82 Scoobys on Amazon are in syndicated form, and not with their partner shows of the time?

CBS = Constantly Butchering Shows.

#1442 of 2400 Brian Himes

Brian Himes

Screenwriter

• 1,007 posts

Posted March 07 2013 - 11:39 AM

For myself, Scrappy was a series killer. I was there when he showed up in 79 and after about three episodes I gave up on the series as a lost cause. Yes, Scrappy was done as a way to re-invent the series. At the time ABC felt that Scooby had gotten stale and wanted to cancel it. They instead decided to give it another chance if the series was revamped. Enter Scrappy. I would love to have the '68 Batman series on DVD. Were they done by Hanna Barbera?

#1443 of 2400 Regulus

Regulus

Screenwriter

• 2,224 posts

Posted March 07 2013 - 11:54 AM

I would love to have the '68 Batman series on DVD. Were they done by Hanna Barbera?

Filmation did the 1968 Animated Batman (Along with Superman, Superboy, Aquaman, and the Justice League (Atom, Flash, The Green Lantern and Hawkman)) About half of the Superman Cartoons, all of the Aquaman and Justice League Cartoons are available on DVD. A "Rights Issue" F.U.B.A.R. Prevents the Superboy and Batman Cartoons from becoming available on DVD. :f

DVD Collection Inventory: TV Episodes - 36,333 :biggrin: ( 746 Series ) :biggrin: Movies - 2,395   :B)   Serial Chapters - 1,201 :B)

#1444 of 2400 Towergrove

Towergrove

Supporting Actor

• 719 posts

Posted March 07 2013 - 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by JMFabianoRPL 

I have to watch the rest, but remember the first few eps. being really corny.

And yeah, now I remember the '68 series being on Amazon! I guess that might be why we haven't seen certain series pop up on DVD, because everything's going digital?

Speaking of which, I assume the 1980-82 Scoobys on Amazon are in syndicated form, and not with their partner shows of the time?

Last I checked sell thru of Disc was still a 8-9 BIllion dollar a year business, hardly chump change.  Digital downloads... much much less. Im sure we will see this series either through the Archive or Regular sometime in the future.

Im not sure why but as a little girl I didnt like Scrappy now in 2013 when I watch the episodes featuring this k9, I dont mind him so much.

Being a female is a matter of birth. Being a woman is a matter of age. But being a lady… Now that's a matter of choice.

#1445 of 2400 Sam Favate

Sam Favate

Producer

• 4,801 posts

Posted March 08 2013 - 02:12 AM

Originally Posted by Regulus 

Filmation did the 1968 Animated Batman (Along with Superman, Superboy, Aquaman, and the Justice League (Atom, Flash, The Green Lantern and Hawkman)) About half of the Superman Cartoons, all of the Aquaman and Justice League Cartoons are available on DVD. A "Rights Issue" F.U.B.A.R. Prevents the Superboy and Batman Cartoons from becoming available on DVD. Posted Image

The '68 Batman show is available in its entirety on amazon as a (perfectly legitimate) download. I've never heard of there being any rights issues associated with it.

#1446 of 2400 Regulus

Regulus

Screenwriter

• 2,224 posts

Posted March 08 2013 - 03:49 AM

Must have been cleared. I wonder why it hasn't been made available on DVD? :confused: There's still the issues with Superboy to contend with. (I read it has something to do with the estate of Superman's authors. Maybe these will be cleared someday. Then again, there's a certain 1966 superhero Series that probably has to be King of the F.U.B.A.R.s when it comes to DVD. :f

DVD Collection Inventory: TV Episodes - 36,333 :biggrin: ( 746 Series ) :biggrin: Movies - 2,395   :B)   Serial Chapters - 1,201 :B)

#1447 of 2400 JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes

Screenwriter

• 1,893 posts

Posted March 08 2013 - 04:02 AM

Must have been cleared. I wonder why it hasn't been made available on DVD? :confused: There's still the issues with Superboy to contend with. (I read it has something to do with the estate of Superman's authors. Maybe these will be cleared someday. Then again, there's a certain 1966 superhero Series that probably has to be King of the F.U.B.A.R.s when it comes to DVD. :f

I would have thought that the legal issues with Superboy would have been settled when they did the live action series.

#1448 of 2400 Greg Chenoweth

Greg Chenoweth

Supporting Actor

• 637 posts

Posted March 08 2013 - 04:30 AM

I would have thought that the legal issues with Superboy would have been settled when they did the live action series.

The legal issues with Superboy have been settled. Warner Archive is now offering the live action series through their program. There are no rights issues with the BATMAN series from 1968. It used to be available on VHS but it has not shown up on DVD yet.

#1449 of 2400 derosa

derosa

Supporting Actor

• 738 posts

Posted March 08 2013 - 07:34 AM

Filmation did the 1968 Animated Batman (Along with Superman, Superboy, Aquaman, and the Justice League (Atom, Flash, The Green Lantern and Hawkman)) About half of the Superman Cartoons, all of the Aquaman and Justice League Cartoons are available on DVD.

It's been about six years since those titles were released, and they seem to be heavily discounted at Amazon and such places, selling for $5-$7. I don't think there is a lot of potential profit for more releases. It will be interesting to see if the rest of the episodes from the Filmation produced stuff ever gets a DVD release.

#1450 of 2400 Regulus

Regulus

Screenwriter

• 2,224 posts

Posted March 08 2013 - 09:14 AM

I stand corrected.

#1451 of 2400 younger1968

younger1968

Screenwriter

• 2,308 posts

Posted March 09 2013 - 06:23 AM

HB complains about sales of their sets over the years, but WB does little to opening up the selection to wider market. WB archive is main distribution point for releases and yet many of those releases do not make it outside of the United States. Yes, there are ways via amazon.com and/or deep discount to purchase Archive releases, but the vendor's pricing can be very expensive.. I usually wait a few months for the price to dropped and/or if i can package few sets together within an affordable price. So, you tell how is WB archives/HB releases really fair to markets outside of the USA? Well, they are not. Roman Hollidays is on my list, but it will be 6 months or so after it comes out before i purchase the set.

#1452 of 2400 Regulus

Regulus

Screenwriter

• 2,224 posts

Posted March 09 2013 - 06:27 AM

Roman Hollidays is on my list, but it will be 6 months or so after it comes out before i purchase the set.

Ditto here. Probably during the Holidays. ;)

#1453 of 2400 JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes

Screenwriter

• 1,893 posts

Posted March 09 2013 - 03:23 PM

It's been about six years since those titles were released, and they seem to be heavily discounted at Amazon and such places, selling for $5-$7. I don't think there is a lot of potential profit for more releases. It will be interesting to see if the rest of the episodes from the Filmation produced stuff ever gets a DVD release.

Actually, the current price for the New Adventures of Batman at Amazon is about the lowest I've ever seen it. I think the profit potential for the Adventures of Batman is greater than either Acquaman or the vaguely titled DC Super Heroes. Personally, I was confused for a long time about Warner's various offerings of DC cartoons. From most of the packaging, it is never really clear where the cartoon is coming from. This is especially the case with the numerous iterations of Super Friends. Personally, I think that they would have been better served to have put the dates of shows on the boxes so that consumers could tell what they were getting more easily. At any rate, regardless of whether Superboy or more New Adventures of Superman could do well at retail, I'm sure that they would be very successful archive releases. As for The Adventures of Batman, it might even do well at retail. My children really enjoy the New Adventures of Batman and many of the more recent cartoons are too dark and adult oriented.

#1454 of 2400 JoHud

JoHud

Screenwriter

• 2,577 posts

Posted March 11 2013 - 12:44 PM

Help!... It's the Hair Bear Bunch! DVD collection is officially going to be released tomorrow, March 12 in the Warner Archive.

This two-disc, 16 episode, collection contains all the mod bears madcap extra-zoohicular adventures.

#1455 of 2400 Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick

Screenwriter

• 2,390 posts

Posted March 12 2013 - 02:09 AM

Help!... It's the Hair Bear Bunch! DVD collection is officially going to be released tomorrow, March 12 in the Warner Archive.

No surprise but great news. I have to wait 2 weeks but I'll definately pick it up then.
...When you eliminate the impossible whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth

Top 20 Films

#1456 of 2400 Towergrove

Towergrove

Supporting Actor

• 719 posts

Posted March 12 2013 - 02:31 AM

Excited to hear about the Hair Bears!

Being a female is a matter of birth. Being a woman is a matter of age. But being a lady… Now that's a matter of choice.

#1457 of 2400 MattPriceTime

MattPriceTime

Second Unit

• 374 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn Park, MD

Posted March 22 2013 - 06:49 PM

Welcome back everyone.

The only new speculation we really have is that a post might imply to expect some more specials coming out later in the year, but that's not really true confirmation.

We're still waiting on Roman Holidays and then it's back to our list and breaking down what we know are short or long term fix ups.

Blanket Quote for myself for all my postings from Feb 2014 and on

"i'm not shy to mention that i seem to be a major outlier on this forum. But i'm still highly boggled by some things posted here. But hey i can only be so critical but some things do bother me a bit, but to each their own. Even if it's odd conspiracies, not wanting to use terms correctly or just throwing hasty generalizations."

If the horse doesn't want to drink, i'm not going to lead them to water

#1458 of 2400 younger1968

younger1968

Screenwriter

• 2,308 posts

Posted March 24 2013 - 04:29 PM

I really like to see them complete Wait Till Your Father Gets Home. I have S1 and love that show

I am also surprised there is no update up on the New Adventures of Gilligan.

#1459 of 2400 dhammer

dhammer

Second Unit

• 304 posts

Posted March 28 2013 - 04:50 AM

They just confirmed that Marine Boy and Johnny Cipher in Dimension Zero are still planned to be released. I don't know how they are going to do Marine Boy. It is 77-78, 1/2 hour episodes. Johnny Cipher was arround 130 episodes but only 6 minutes long.

Like most of you,  I love the old Hanna-Barbara cartoons of the 60's and 70's but, I also have a love for the Japanese created cartoons of the 1960's. We watched the Hanna-Barbara toons on Saturday but during the week, after school, the other cartoons. We had a show in the Philadelphia area called, Wee Willie Weber's Cartoon Club. He introduced us to Astro Boy, Kimba the White Lion, Marine Boy, Rocket Robin Hood, Johnny Cipher in Dimension Zero, Ultraman, Speed Racer, etc. Good times, good times....

#1460 of 2400 Nebiroth

Nebiroth

Supporting Actor

• 738 posts

Posted March 28 2013 - 12:53 PM

Note that rights to stream a show are different to releasing it on "home video". I'm not sure of the full legalities, but I think it is something like streaming is closer to broadcasting. Eveidently, most shows of any vintage were created with contracts that covered broadcasting re-use, but only those made in the post VHS-era have clauses covering home video, whioch is why they are so problematic because they have to go to everyone involved to negotiate the rights, royalties, and even a minor character can act as a block (and sometimes their estates)

Marine Boy is confimed? Where?

I would be very excited if it is! Suprised TVShowsOnDVD haven't run the story if it is the case. As you say it's a large series with 78 half-hour episodes. It seems somewhat large for an MOD release.

The previous release of Centurions, which gave us just the five episode starter series but not the vast bulk of the later episodes, does not fill me with optimism.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users