Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

Next Hanna-Barbera set?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
2874 replies to this topic

#2861 of 2875 OFFLINE   Bryan^H

Bryan^H

Producer

• 3,162 posts

Posted August 22 2015 - 09:28 AM

Two or three pages ago we were talking about Skateboards and Clue Club being on CBS Sunday mornings.

I hadn't thought about that in years, but there definitely was - in select markets -  one hour of rerun CBS cartoons every week between the late 70s and 1983.  But I can't for the life of me find schedules or online evidence of them.  Nor were they highly promoted.  I recall Ghostbusters, Skatebirds, Mighty Mouse / Heckle & Jeckle, Jason of Star Command, Lone Ranger & Zorro, Drak Pack (?) and Kwicky Koala being among the selections during those years.  Does anyone else recall shows relegated to that graveyard and when they aired (and why?)?  

I remember Clue Club, and the Filmation Ghostbusters(live action) aired on Sunday mornings(here in Michigan).  I never saw either show on a Saturday morning.

housekeeping 2.jpg

"She always does that, she just wanders away"

#2862 of 2875 OFFLINE   Jay*W

Jay*W

Second Unit

• 338 posts

Posted August 22 2015 - 12:15 PM

Does anyone know which recent HB Warner Archive titles have been pressed? I threw in a copy of Snorks Season 2 (single-disc) to a recent WB Archive order and was surprised to discover that it appears to be pressed.
Thanks,
Jay

Anyone? Snorks season 2 was definitely pressed. Quite a surprise!

#2863 of 2875 OFFLINE   Brian Himes

Brian Himes

Screenwriter

• 1,322 posts

Posted August 22 2015 - 09:53 PM

I don't know each and every title that has been on pressed discs, but here is the list of the ones that I have bought.

Clue Club

Yogi's Gang

The Amazing Chan and the Chan Clan

Help...It's The Hair Bear Bunch

The Super Globetrotters

Captain Caveman and the Teen Angels

The music does matter.

#2864 of 2875 OFFLINE   Mark Y

Mark Y

Supporting Actor

• 642 posts

Posted August 23 2015 - 06:52 AM

Re cartoons on Sunday mornings: In Chicago, both our CBS and ABC affiliates ran cartoons on both Saturday and Sunday mornings for several years. (I don't recall NBC doing it though.) They didn't wave a big flag about it, and the shows would have been reruns of shows originally aired on Saturday mornings a season or two earlier. This is where a lot of the half-hour versions of former one-hour shows (like "Cattanooga Cats" and "The Flintstone Comedy Hour") first appeared. "U.S. Of Archie" had a one season Saturday morning run in 1974-75 but was in Sunday morning reruns in 1975-76 leading up to the US Bicentennial. As far as listings of the era, there is a Chicago-based website called "Fuzzy Memories" which has a lot of cool video clips, and they also have a forum where one of their members has posted numerous "Flashbacks" of TV Guide listings for various stations -- here's an example: http://www.fuzzymemo...indpost&p=19887 -- Now, these listings are completely random and they are posted in threads all over the place, but they are interesting and provide a glimpse into what was shown when. You might enjoy checking it out.

#2865 of 2875 OFFLINE   Jay*W

Jay*W

Second Unit

• 338 posts

Posted August 23 2015 - 12:21 PM

I don't know each and every title that has been on pressed discs, but here is the list of the ones that I have bought.

Clue Club
Yogi's Gang
The Amazing Chan and the Chan Clan
Help...It's The Hair Bear Bunch
The Super Globetrotters
Captain Caveman and the Teen Angels

Many thanks, Brian.

#2866 of 2875 OFFLINE   ClassicTVMan1981X

ClassicTVMan1981X

Stunt Coordinator

• 137 posts
  • LocationMilwaukie, OR, US

Posted August 23 2015 - 01:21 PM

A little off-topic, mind you, but I want to say something about how certain H-B titles may not see the light of day on modern media yet:

Copyright laws can be difficult to understand, but here's the basics on how long they would normally have lasted under each variation of the copyright act (of 1909, 1976 and 1998).

For example, The Huckleberry Hound Show and The Quick Draw McGraw Show were produced in 1958 and 1959 respectively, so under the terms of the 1909 Copyright Act, which was in effect when these shows were originally made, the copyrights of the songs heard within would have run out in 1986 and 1987 respectively (unless otherwise renewed for another 28 years, or put in the public domain before the run-out) prior to the enactment of the 1976 Copyright Act, which began proper January 1, 1978.

Under the 1976 copyright statute, Section 302 describes that all copyrights for works produced prior to January 1, 1978 which had not already entered the public domain were eligible for a duration including the life of the author(s) plus 50 years after the death of said author(s).

And then we have the 1998 Copyright Term Extension Act, also called the Sonny Bono Act or, humorously, the Mickey Mouse Protection Act. It amends the 1976 Copyright Act by extending the statute to the duration of the author's life plus 70 years for general copyrights and to 95 years for works made for hire and those copyrighted prior to 1978.

So that would mean under the terms of the 1998 Copyright Term Extension Act, the copyrights for Huck Hound and Quick Draw would not expire until at least 2053 and 2054 respectively. This is a tangled mess, indeed, especially for DVDs.

~Ben

Edited by ClassicTVMan1981X, August 23 2015 - 01:33 PM.

#2867 of 2875 OFFLINE   LeoA

LeoA

Screenwriter

• 1,503 posts
  • LocationNorth Country

Posted August 24 2015 - 12:46 AM

What exactly is it that they don't own for these in-demand classics?

I've never been clear on that. 

#2868 of 2875 OFFLINE   Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick

Screenwriter

• 2,871 posts

Posted August 24 2015 - 06:32 AM

Songs and some other incidental music. More than owning its a matter of checking and clearing copyrights for the music in every cartoon in the series.

What exactly is it that they don't own for these in-demand classics?

I've never been clear on that. 

...When you eliminate the impossible whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth

#2869 of 2875 OFFLINE   Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick

Screenwriter

• 2,871 posts

Posted August 24 2015 - 06:43 AM

I do remember 1-2 hours being shown on Sunday morning in Southern California in the late 70's but not sure If it was exclusive to CBS. The shows I remember very clearly on Sunday mornings were Filmations Baggy Pants and the Nitwits, The Archies and reruns of The Tom and Jerry Grape Ape show. I don't remember Clue Club being shown on sunday, that was probably in the early 80's but then as I have said before I completely missed that show and had not even heard of it until people requested it here. I assumed it was a mid-eighties show which is when I stopped watching but I later discovered it was originally on the same time as The Kroft Super Show which explains why I never watched it.

...When you eliminate the impossible whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth

#2870 of 2875 OFFLINE   JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes

Screenwriter

• 2,203 posts

Posted August 25 2015 - 08:03 AM

A little off-topic, mind you, but I want to say something about how certain H-B titles may not see the light of day on modern media yet:

Copyright laws can be difficult to understand, but here's the basics on how long they would normally have lasted under each variation of the copyright act (of 1909, 1976 and 1998).

For example, The Huckleberry Hound Show and The Quick Draw McGraw Show were produced in 1958 and 1959 respectively, so under the terms of the 1909 Copyright Act, which was in effect when these shows were originally made, the copyrights of the songs heard within would have run out in 1986 and 1987 respectively (unless otherwise renewed for another 28 years, or put in the public domain before the run-out) prior to the enactment of the 1976 Copyright Act, which began proper January 1, 1978.

Under the 1976 copyright statute, Section 302 describes that all copyrights for works produced prior to January 1, 1978 which had not already entered the public domain were eligible for a duration including the life of the author(s) plus 50 years after the death of said author(s).

And then we have the 1998 Copyright Term Extension Act, also called the Sonny Bono Act or, humorously, the Mickey Mouse Protection Act. It amends the 1976 Copyright Act by extending the statute to the duration of the author's life plus 70 years for general copyrights and to 95 years for works made for hire and those copyrighted prior to 1978.

So that would mean under the terms of the 1998 Copyright Term Extension Act, the copyrights for Huck Hound and Quick Draw would not expire until at least 2053 and 2054 respectively. This is a tangled mess, indeed, especially for DVDs.

~Ben

I think the problem is the music licensing.  I am not sure if any music rights issues are involved with Huck (My Darling Clementine is public domain), but WA has said that there are music issues with Quick Draw and my guess is that some nontraditional western tunes made it into the show.  I don't think that there are any copyright issues beyond that.

#2871 of 2875 OFFLINE   Greg Chenoweth

Greg Chenoweth

Supporting Actor

• 751 posts

Posted August 25 2015 - 08:22 AM

POPULAR

The music rights issues in Huck and Quick Draw is the background music or incidental music cues. H-B used the Hi-Q Capitol music library for the background music in most of those cartoons and the company that owns that music library wants a lot of money for its use. WHV has to pay royalties for all music that is used in all the shows. The later cartoons had background music written by Hoyt Curtin and owned by H-B so there is no rights issues there. It was only Huck and Quick Draw that used the Hi-Q Capitol library (I think). WHV absorbed the music costs for the first Huck DVD set and when it didn't sell very well plans were scrapped for Quick Draw and another Huck set. I was helping Earl Kress research the Quick Draw set when we got word it was cancelled. I have a complete set of Quick Draw McGraw shows with all elements including interstitials. Hopefully someday they will all get released.

#2872 of 2875 OFFLINE   Towergrove

Towergrove

Screenwriter

• 1,044 posts

Posted August 27 2015 - 10:13 AM

HB Specials releasing September 15th Warner Archive.
"Fasten your seatbelts - it's going to be a bumpy night."

#2873 of 2875 OFFLINE   moviebuff75

moviebuff75

Supporting Actor

• 639 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis, Indiana

Posted August 27 2015 - 01:41 PM

Which ones?

Proud HTF Member Since: April, 2001

#2874 of 2875 OFFLINE   ClassicTVMan1981X

ClassicTVMan1981X

Stunt Coordinator

• 137 posts
  • LocationMilwaukie, OR, US

Posted August 27 2015 - 02:28 PM

Which ones?

In chronological order:

Jack & the Beanstalk (NBC, 1967)

The Adventures of Robin Hoodnik (ABC Saturday Superstar Movie, 1972)

Oliver and the Artful Dodger (ABC Saturday Superstar Movie, 1972)

The Last of the Curlews (ABC Afterschool Special, 1972)

The Three Musketeers (CBS, 1973)

Cyrano (ABC Afterschool Special, 1974)

~Ben

Edited by ClassicTVMan1981X, August 27 2015 - 02:31 PM.

#2875 of 2875 OFFLINE   Greg Chenoweth

Greg Chenoweth

Supporting Actor

• 751 posts

Posted Today, 01:55 AM

The specials collection and JACK AND THE BEANSTALK are now up for pre-order at wbshop.com.

The Specials Collection:

http://www.wbshop.co...efType=&from=fn

JACK AND THE BEANSTALK:

http://www.wbshop.co...Picks&refType=4

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users