Next Hanna-Barbera set?

• Please log in to reply
2399 replies to this topic

#2381 of 2400 Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick

Screenwriter

• 2,388 posts

Posted September 12 2014 - 12:53 PM

Yeah I missed that step which basically means that this has a snowballs chance of ever coming out.

It's worse than that.  Warner has the rights to the show as it is part of the HB library.  Disney has the rights to the characters.  So, for the 1967 show to come out, the two sides probably have to come to some agreement regarding a show where there is not the level of demand (or money) as Batman.  That's a high hurdle.

...When you eliminate the impossible whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth

Top 20 Films

#2382 of 2400 younger1968

younger1968

Screenwriter

• 2,307 posts

Posted September 12 2014 - 04:35 PM

I found this comment on Fantastic 4 as such I wanted to clarify if the statement is true on the ownership of the series: Through a series of transactions, Disney currently holds the rights to the majority of Marvel's 1960s-1990s animated output. However, the 1967-1968 Fantastic Four was produced by Hanna-Barbera, whose library is now owned by Time Warner, making the series one of only a handful of Marvel-related TV projects not owned by Disney (which has since acquired Marvel outright). Time Warner is also the owner of Marvel's biggest competitor,DC Comics.

#2383 of 2400 Regulus

Regulus

Screenwriter

• 2,223 posts

Posted September 13 2014 - 12:44 PM

I found this comment on Fantastic 4 as such I wanted to clarify if the statement is true on the ownership of the series: Through a series of transactions, Disney currently holds the rights to the majority of Marvel's 1960s-1990s animated output. However, the 1967-1968 Fantastic Four was produced by Hanna-Barbera, whose library is now owned by Time Warner, making the series one of only a handful of Marvel-related TV projects not owned by Disney (which has since acquired Marvel outright). Time Warner is also the owner of Marvel's biggest competitor,DC Comics.

The same F.U.B.A.R. that kept the 1966 Batman away from us these many years. (sigh) :(

DVD Collection Inventory: TV Episodes - 36,333 :biggrin: ( 746 Series ) :biggrin: Movies - 2,395   :B)   Serial Chapters - 1,201 :B)

#2384 of 2400 younger1968

younger1968

Screenwriter

• 2,307 posts

Posted September 13 2014 - 01:13 PM

The same F.U.B.A.R. that kept the 1966 Batman away from us these many years. (sigh) :(

That is what I fought!

#2385 of 2400 ClassicTVMan1981X

ClassicTVMan1981X

Stunt Coordinator

• 73 posts

Posted September 13 2014 - 01:38 PM

It's worse than that.  Warner has the rights to the show as it is part of the HB library.  Disney has the rights to the characters.  So, for the 1967 show to come out, the two sides probably have to come to some agreement regarding a show where there is not the level of demand (or money) as Batman.  That's a high hurdle.

The same logic would apply to 1979's THE THING as H-B made the series and thus the program content is held by WB but not the character THE THING and related indicia.

~Ben

#2386 of 2400 derosa

derosa

Supporting Actor

• 738 posts

Posted September 13 2014 - 01:40 PM

The same logic would apply to 1979's THE THING as H-B made the series and thus the program content is held by WB but not the character THE THING and related indicia.

~Ben

That's another series i'd really like on DVD, but will have to keep waiting....

#2387 of 2400 Greg Chenoweth

Greg Chenoweth

Supporting Actor

• 636 posts

Posted September 13 2014 - 06:32 PM

I just ordered both LOOPY de LOOP and BATMAN: THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD, Season 2 from Warner Archive.  I can't wait for them both to show up. The second one, BATMAN: TBATB Season 2 has a segment where Bat-Mite shows up and has Batman team-up again with Scooby Doo and Shaggy, so there is an H-B connection.  The third season of the Batman: TBATB series has Batman teaming up with Space Ghost.  It is fantastic.

• Randy Korstick likes this

#2388 of 2400 Greg Chenoweth

Greg Chenoweth

Supporting Actor

• 636 posts

Posted September 16 2014 - 04:56 AM

Well, another Tuesday, and another Hanna-Barbera Classics Collection release from Warner Archive.  This time it is SHIRT TALES - THE COMPLETE SERIES available immediately.  Here is the link:

http://shop.warnerar...pe=&from=Search

• Towergrove likes this

#2389 of 2400 Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick

Screenwriter

• 2,388 posts

Posted September 16 2014 - 07:18 AM

After an expensive 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2013. The only good thing about this year is I've saved a lot of money from not having any animated releases to buy. So far this year I will buy Loopy de Loop when its on sale but nothing else for me. I'm starting to lose hope that I will see anything I want this year and I have a large list of unreleased titles:

Banana Splits

Wally Gator Show

Atom Ant/Secret Squirrel Show

Peter Potamus Show

Cattanooga Cats

The Rest of Huckleberry Hound

Quick Draw McGraw

Tom and Jerry/Grape Ape Show

Yogi's Space Race

Adventures of Gulliver

New Adventures of Huckleberry Finn

C.B. Bears

Mumbly

• Greg Chenoweth likes this
...When you eliminate the impossible whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth

Top 20 Films

#2390 of 2400 Towergrove

Towergrove

Supporting Actor

• 719 posts

Posted September 16 2014 - 09:28 AM

Well, another Tuesday, and another Hanna-Barbera Classics Collection release from Warner Archive.  This time it is SHIRT TALES - THE COMPLETE SERIES available immediately.  Here is the link:

http://shop.warnerar...pe=&from=Search

This came out of left field didnt expect this. Im very excited and it will be a day one purchase for me.
  • Randy Korstick and Greg Chenoweth like this
Being a female is a matter of birth. Being a woman is a matter of age. But being a lady… Now that's a matter of choice.

#2391 of 2400 Mark Y

Mark Y

Supporting Actor

• 559 posts

Posted September 17 2014 - 09:37 AM

Whoa, you miss a day, you miss a lot. Loopy De Loop -- that came out of nowhere. I'm in! Finally some 1960s classic H-B that's not a superhero show. I'd prefer them open matte anyway. They were shown on USA Cartoon Express in the late 1980s/early 1990s and the complete theatrical titles were always shown, complete with the Columbia name. That wasn't always the case on CN/Boomerang, or on previous VHS releases where some were thrown in with other Hanna-Barbera cartoons. Hope these are complete. USA showed them as part of an omnibus half-hour that was sometimes listed in TV Guide as "Magilla Gorilla And Friends" -- along with Magilla Gorilla, Quick Draw McGraw and Wally Gator. Not the most essential, but count me in for this one. Hope more 1960s stuff is on the horizon!
  • Greg Chenoweth likes this

#2392 of 2400 JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes

Screenwriter

• 1,890 posts

Posted September 18 2014 - 09:01 AM

I was trying to think of what we have gotten in 2014 so far from Warner Archive in terms of animation.  This is what I have:

Jetsons (concluding 1980s episodes)

Jonny Quest (all 1980s episodes)

Challenge of the Gobots, Vol. 1 (1980s HB)

Shirt Tales - Complete Series (1980s HB)

Gilligan's Planet (1982 Filmation)

Loopy de Loop (1960s Theatrical HB)

So far this year's offerings have been very 1980s heavy, with no 1960s or 1970s television at all.  If rumors from an earlier page are correct, we still might see Quick Draw McGraw and Peter Potomus this year.  Interestingly, at my house, one of the most popular cartoon offerings has proved to be Yogi's Gang.  Despite the dated nature of some of the episodes, the interaction of the funny animals works well, and that lifts up Yogi's Space Race and Yogi's Treasure Hunt to a fairly high position on my desired titles list.

#2393 of 2400 Towergrove

Towergrove

Supporting Actor

• 719 posts

Posted September 18 2014 - 09:41 AM

Im hoping this doesn't cause issues with upcoming releases, cuts are never good and hopefully the Warner Archive and the HB output is untouched...

Warner Bros. Expected to Cut as Many as 1,000 Jobs (EXCLUSIVE)

http://variety.com/2...ive-1201307370/
Being a female is a matter of birth. Being a woman is a matter of age. But being a lady… Now that's a matter of choice.

#2394 of 2400 Chris Hvide

Chris Hvide

Auditioning

• 7 posts

Posted September 18 2014 - 10:00 AM

Jonny Quest 1980's Vol 1, huh?

Again with the volumes. Don't they realize that cutting them in half like that will give them less money?

Only the big fans are gonna collect something like that. Especially old-school stuff like Jonny Quest.

I like that show, but I'm not gonna spend money on the first part and then wait for the 2nd half. It's not gonna happen.

The hing is. We're not in the 1900s anymore. Now there's way too much content out there for releases like that.

And people are used to pay $8/mo for Netflix or buy their stuff on iTunes. If you're gonna release DVDs, then at least release the whole thing.

Besides, the fact that they're not releasing these collections on blu-ray blows my mind.

I'm just saying. If they have to do budget cuts, it's their own fault for using tactics that word 15 years ago.

• derosa likes this

#2395 of 2400 Greg Chenoweth

Greg Chenoweth

Supporting Actor

• 636 posts

Posted September 18 2014 - 10:06 AM

Actually, it's "Jonny Quest: The Complete 1980's Series." All the episodes are in one volume.

#2396 of 2400 ClassicTVMan1981X

ClassicTVMan1981X

Stunt Coordinator

• 73 posts

Posted September 18 2014 - 10:51 AM

Jonny Quest 1980's Vol 1, huh?

Again with the volumes. Don't they realize that cutting them in half like that will give them less money?

Only the big fans are gonna collect something like that. Especially old-school stuff like Jonny Quest.

I like that show, but I'm not gonna spend money on the first part and then wait for the 2nd half. It's not gonna happen.

The hing is. We're not in the 1900s anymore. Now there's way too much content out there for releases like that.

And people are used to pay $8/mo for Netflix or buy their stuff on iTunes. If you're gonna release DVDs, then at least release the whole thing.

Besides, the fact that they're not releasing these collections on blu-ray blows my mind.

I'm just saying. If they have to do budget cuts, it's their own fault for using tactics that word 15 years ago.

To stray a bit in regards to this heart-wrenching news, if Turner is expected to be sold off to the highest bidder, then I guess all the pre-1948 Warner Bros. cartoons and other features will go to that highest bidder as well unless WB finds a way to keep that part of Turner's assets... as the Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies shorts have a place in the hearts and minds of people like us.

~Ben

Edited by ClassicTVMan1981X, September 18 2014 - 10:53 AM.

• Towergrove likes this

#2397 of 2400 JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes

Screenwriter

• 1,890 posts

Posted September 18 2014 - 11:19 AM

To stray a bit in regards to this heart-wrenching news, if Turner is expected to be sold off to the highest bidder, then I guess all the pre-1948 Warner Bros. cartoons and other features will go to that highest bidder as well unless WB finds a way to keep that part of Turner's assets... as the Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies shorts have a place in the hearts and minds of people like us.

~Ben

I can't imagine that they would divide the film and television library.  I can't access Variety, what exactly does it say?

#2398 of 2400 Towergrove

Towergrove

Supporting Actor

• 719 posts

Posted September 18 2014 - 11:22 AM

~Ben

I dont see where turner is getting sold off but they will have budget cuts for sure.

#2399 of 2400 Towergrove

Towergrove

Supporting Actor

• 719 posts

Posted September 18 2014 - 11:25 AM

I can't imagine that they wouldivide the film and television library.  I can't access Variety, what exactly does it say?

It says there will be budget and staff cuts especially in home entertainment and promotions. It doesnt say anything about being sold off. Thats not what the ceo said on the speech at all. The Warner Archive is one of the bright spots and has a small staff so I dont think the will be touched but we shall see.
  • Randy Korstick and Greg Chenoweth like this

#2400 of 2400 Greg Chenoweth

Greg Chenoweth

Supporting Actor

• 636 posts

Posted September 18 2014 - 11:31 AM

They went through the same kind of staff cuts worldwide about five years ago.  As WB buys new properties and sheds other ones, it's a part of doing business.  For example, when they acquired Turner Entertainment, they eliminated a lot of duplicate staff between the two companies because you only need so many accountants, product technicians, etc.  This is normal.  There are has been talk that Time/Life and Warners will part company soon and the reduction in staff will help further that cause and make their portfolio more attractive to stockholders and the stock market.  This is the only splitting of the company that I am aware of.

• Randy Korstick and Towergrove like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users