Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

Next Hanna-Barbera set?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
2517 replies to this topic

#2301 of 2518 OFFLINE   younger1968

younger1968

Screenwriter

• 2,368 posts

Posted August 07 2014 - 03:53 PM

I never grew up!  :laugh:  (For more information check out my post in the "What's the last TV DVD you bought?" Thread.) :biggrin:  :rolling-smiley:

I love your comment!! My point was more about after 1982 the cartoons imho were not very good. I was not into transformers or GI Joe or others. I stick with the cartoons that I grew up with as a child!

#2302 of 2518 OFFLINE   Regulus

Regulus

Screenwriter

• 2,290 posts

Posted August 08 2014 - 03:49 AM

I love your comment!! My point was more about after 1982 the cartoons imho were not very good. I was not into transformers or GI Joe or others. I stick with the cartoons that I grew up with as a child!

I feel sorry for today's kids, IMO most kids shows "Jumped the Shark" after the "EI" format was passed into law in the late 1990s. :(

On the other hand I have given vintage DVDs of Hannah-Barbara and Filmation Cartoons as Birthday and Christmas to some of my friend's kids and they lapped them up. One kid even said "These Shows are BETTER than the ones I used to watch" after I gave him over a dozen HB , FLM and all the Gerry Anderson "Supermarionation" sets for Christmas. :rolleyes:

• Greg Chenoweth likes this

DVD Collection Inventory: TV Episodes - 38,106 :biggrin: ( 817 Series ) :biggrin: Movies - 2,426  :biggrin: Serial Chapters - 1,201 :B)

#2303 of 2518 OFFLINE   Mark Y

Mark Y

Supporting Actor

• 579 posts

Posted August 09 2014 - 03:06 PM

The ebay item in post #2298 cannot be from 1967 -- the Columbia Pictures Television logo is from the mid to late 1970s and in 1967 they would have been known as Screen Gems. Post #2299 -- by all accounts they are releasing stuff first that exists in presentable form with minimal or no restoration necessary. Since most of the 1960s shows that featured individual segments were chopped up, that presents a problem. Hence my frustration with so little 1960s material released.

#2304 of 2518 OFFLINE   Mark Y

Mark Y

Supporting Actor

• 579 posts

Posted August 09 2014 - 03:12 PM

I looked a little closer at that ebay item -- it confirms that there were 28 Hokey Wolf cartoons, not 29. Good to know.

#2305 of 2518 OFFLINE   younger1968

younger1968

Screenwriter

• 2,368 posts

Posted August 10 2014 - 01:53 PM

I have watched Goober and the Ghost Chasers as well as Funky Phantom over the past few weeks. I usually throw a cartoon into the dvd player before I got bed as way to relax.

The Funky Phantom has grown on me as it is very funny, especially the phantom. I like how phantom takes historical events and then says he was there with Washington or other historical figures. The cast is always there correct the phantom mistakes and that to me how makes the show very interesting!

Goober and the Ghost Chaser imho is better after the partridge kids leave the show. I was not big on inclusion of the partridge kids and felt it was over kill.

This week I plan to watch jabberjaw, speed buggy, valley of the dinosaurs, superfriends and the Addams Family.

• JoeDoakes likes this

#2306 of 2518 OFFLINE   ClassicTVMan1981X

ClassicTVMan1981X

Stunt Coordinator

• 81 posts
  • LocationMilwaukie, OR, US

Posted August 13 2014 - 05:15 PM

I can only hope that 2015 will be a better year for Hanna-Barbera DVD releases.

~Ben

Edited by ClassicTVMan1981X, August 13 2014 - 06:35 PM.

#2307 of 2518 OFFLINE   Regulus

Regulus

Screenwriter

• 2,290 posts

Posted August 14 2014 - 04:14 AM

~Ben

Me too. I wonder why The Adventures of Gulliver and The New Adventures of Huck Finn haven't made it to DVD.  :huh:  Both were wildly popular in syndication. I never saw the latter until it was syndicated ( It aired opposite Lassie). Both shows were bundled with the syndication of The Banana Splits along with the former and two other animated series, Atom Ant and Secret Squirrel.  I'm fortunate to have acquired these two along with Lassie via "other means"  :biggrin:  but I'd be more than happy to get the official releases if they're ever released.

DVD Collection Inventory: TV Episodes - 38,106 :biggrin: ( 817 Series ) :biggrin: Movies - 2,426  :biggrin: Serial Chapters - 1,201 :B)

#2308 of 2518 OFFLINE   Mark Y

Mark Y

Supporting Actor

• 579 posts

Posted August 14 2014 - 05:50 AM

My guess on Huckleberry Finn is probably elements-related. I remember any time I saw an episode on Cartoon Network/Boomerang it looked like it was probably 16mm film sourced with no show opening -- in other words, probably a syndication print which would have had the Banana Splits intro replacing the original. If they do release Huckleberry Finn eventually, if there is any reconstruction involved, I hope someone remembers that there were two different intros used, one with Aunt Polly and one without. The character (and actress) are listed in the closing credits of some episodes but not others. The intro also established the Injun Joe character played by Ted Cassidy, and Ted Cassidy often would appear as that week's villain (predating the current trend of having a recognizable star drawn in their own likeness in animation). There is one episode called "The Little People" which is based on the Gulliver's Travels story. When it ran as part of the syndicated Banana Splits package it was the third episode in the sequence. The closing credits footage is a little different, and I wonder if this one was produced first -- also, unlike the other episodes the episode title and writers are not shown on screen, and the episode seems to begin in the middle of the action as if something is missing. Maybe this was the pilot? In any event, I hope whatever's missing is not "lost." I would definitely pick up both Huckleberry Finn and Gulliver if they were to be released. As for the Banana Splits, it would be at the top of my wish list if it were available. I would like to see the original one-hour shows in their original format, and whatever new footage from the second season that can be found as extras. It would be really nice to have the brief redubbed clips from the syndicated show as extras too, where they have them introducing the various cartoons added to the series in reruns. That would probably be the best place to put those, if anywhere. Hopefully it will all come out some day. Potamus, Atom Ant, Secret Squirrel, Wally Gator and his entourage are all near the top of the list for me, alongside Quick Draw and the rest of the Hound.
  • Randy Korstick likes this

#2309 of 2518 OFFLINE   JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes

Screenwriter

• 2,015 posts

Posted August 14 2014 - 06:52 AM

~Ben

I'm still hoping for surprises before the end of the year.

#2310 of 2518 OFFLINE   Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick

Screenwriter

• 2,479 posts

Posted August 14 2014 - 07:22 AM

Yeah me too. I'm expecting at the very least 1 classic 60's -70's show and possibly 2 or 3 by the end of the year.

I'm still hoping for surprises before the end of the year.

...When you eliminate the impossible whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth

Top 20 Films

#2311 of 2518 OFFLINE   Towergrove

Towergrove

Supporting Actor

• 806 posts

Posted August 14 2014 - 04:20 PM

POPULAR

The folks over at Warner Archive have indicated in recent Facebook postings that there is more Hanna B coming so lets hope its soon.  It seems that recently every other week they are releasing an animated production.  This week it was Young Justice.  Lets see what happens in a few weeks.

• Randy Korstick, Conrad_SSS and Greg Chenoweth like this
Being a female is a matter of birth. Being a woman is a matter of age. But being a lady… Now that's a matter of choice.

#2312 of 2518 OFFLINE   ClassicTVMan1981X

ClassicTVMan1981X

Stunt Coordinator

• 81 posts

Posted August 14 2014 - 04:24 PM

The folks over at Warner Archive have indicated in recent Facebook postings that there is more Hanna B coming so lets hope its soon.  It seems that recently every other week they are releasing an animated production.  This week it was Young Justice.  Lets see what happens in a few weeks.

I really hope the boys at WAC will follow up on the Popeye & Friends anthology collections by releasing select episodes from season 3 of The All-New Popeye Hour as well as its half-hour successor series, The Popeye & Olive Comedy Show.

~Ben

Edited by ClassicTVMan1981X, August 14 2014 - 05:15 PM.

• Towergrove likes this

#2313 of 2518 OFFLINE   Chris Hvide

Chris Hvide

Auditioning

• 8 posts

Posted August 15 2014 - 04:37 PM

POPULAR

I really hope the boys at WAC will follow up on the Popeye & Friends anthology collections by releasing select episodes from season 3 of The All-New Popeye Hour as well as its half-hour successor series, The Popeye & Olive Comedy Show.

~Ben

I really hope they'll complete the Huckleberry hound and yogi bear collection, and also release Hokey Wolf.

• LeoA, Towergrove and Jack K like this

#2314 of 2518 OFFLINE   younger1968

younger1968

Screenwriter

• 2,368 posts

Posted August 15 2014 - 05:35 PM

Hi Towergrove,

I am not doubt that WB is doing their best to released HB as they have said over and over again they plan to released the vault. One has to think there is lots of work with cleaning up the prints as such that is why it has taken so long to released various shows to dvd.

• Towergrove likes this

#2315 of 2518 OFFLINE   ClassicTVMan1981X

ClassicTVMan1981X

Stunt Coordinator

• 81 posts

Posted August 15 2014 - 07:25 PM

Hi Towergrove,

I am not doubt that WB is doing their best to released HB as they have said over and over again they plan to released the vault. One has to think there is lots of work with cleaning up the prints as such that is why it has taken so long to released various shows to dvd.

Other points to consider: work-for-hire and general consumer desire. The former of the two is most dreadful.

~Ben

Edited by ClassicTVMan1981X, August 16 2014 - 12:37 AM.

#2316 of 2518 OFFLINE   Towergrove

Towergrove

Supporting Actor

• 806 posts

Posted August 17 2014 - 01:07 PM

Hi Towergrove,

I know.  They have slowed down the output recently but what they are releasing recently has been very good quality.  The video has looked very good on recent discs.  They are putting good effort in some restoration I believe.

• Randy Korstick and Greg Chenoweth like this
Being a female is a matter of birth. Being a woman is a matter of age. But being a lady… Now that's a matter of choice.

#2317 of 2518 OFFLINE   ClassicTVMan1981X

ClassicTVMan1981X

Stunt Coordinator

• 81 posts

Posted August 17 2014 - 05:51 PM

I know.  They have slowed down the output recently but what they are releasing recently has been very good quality.  The video has looked very good on recent discs.  They are putting good effort in some restoration I believe.

I know the work they did for Space Stars (1981) was outstanding, adding in the extras that didn't make it onto the original NBC broadcast. So just wait it out for what they plan to release next, and things should look up.

~Ben

Edited by ClassicTVMan1981X, August 17 2014 - 05:52 PM.

• Randy Korstick likes this

#2318 of 2518 OFFLINE   ClassicTVMan1981X

ClassicTVMan1981X

Stunt Coordinator

• 81 posts

Posted August 18 2014 - 07:05 PM

What I fear most about Warner Archive is the possibility of them shelving any future Hanna-Barbera DVD releases due to possible unforeseen financial losses and resulting staff cuts.

~Ben

#2319 of 2518 OFFLINE   JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes

Screenwriter

• 2,015 posts

Posted August 19 2014 - 06:27 AM

What I fear most about Warner Archive is the possibility of them shelving any future Hanna-Barbera DVD releases due to possible unforeseen financial losses and resulting staff cuts.

~Ben

Have the unforeseen financial losses actually occurred or are they still unforeseen?

#2320 of 2518 OFFLINE   derosa

derosa

Supporting Actor

• 766 posts

Posted August 19 2014 - 07:52 AM

Have the unforeseen financial losses actually occurred or are they still unforeseen?

I don't think we have any way of knowing this. At some point, digital distribution is more cost efficient, but as we know current collectors still like physical media.  What is true, in the general, is that DVD sales continue to fall, down almost 10% again last year.  Fewer and fewer portable devices have a disc drive.  It seems that eventually the DVD will become a format that sees less titles being offered.  The reality is, many of the titles on MOD would never have been offered for wide release.  On the other hand, on-line retailers don't have shelf display issues like stores do, so as long as Amazon and other want to keep offering discs, they will.   It's a complicated topic.   If it were not for the age of the animation collector, and their stubbornness to adopt downloads, we likely would have seen a different service than MOD already.  Personally, i'm surprised it's made it this far. 

article:

http://online.wsj.co...306440621142958

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users