Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

Next Hanna-Barbera set?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
2608 replies to this topic

#2281 of 2609 OFFLINE   Ken_Martinez

Ken_Martinez

Stunt Coordinator

• 158 posts

Posted July 31 2014 - 01:30 PM

They have mentioned the hold up on Huckleberry hound is searching for all the original materials and reconstructing the episodes.

And I keep repeating; there aren't any original materials to find. What are they going to find that Earl Kress couldn't in 2005?

#2282 of 2609 OFFLINE   ClassicTVMan1981X

ClassicTVMan1981X

Stunt Coordinator

• 104 posts
  • LocationMilwaukie, OR, US

Posted July 31 2014 - 01:36 PM

And I keep repeating; there aren't any original materials to find. What are they going to find that Earl Kress couldn't in 2005?

And I will always have to repeat this: the Warner Archive people can only put out so much in a year. Just please be patient. And as The Rolling Stones sang: "You can't always get what you want/But if you try sometimes, you might find/You'll get what you need."

In addition, some titles, Hanna-Barbera or otherwise, may take longer to do than others.

~Ben

Edited by ClassicTVMan1981X, July 31 2014 - 01:45 PM.

#2283 of 2609 OFFLINE   Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick

Screenwriter

• 2,645 posts

Posted July 31 2014 - 02:26 PM

So you honestly believe they have what would be one of their best selling animated titles all ready to go and they aren't releasing it for no reason at all and that they would chose to release lesser selling titles before it. You really think they don't like to make money. Sorry I'm not buying that.

There maybe more to the answer then they are giving us but if everything was ready and they were happy with it then it would already be released.

New Materials are always discovered with Private collectors and other sources.

...When you eliminate the impossible whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth

#2284 of 2609 OFFLINE   ClassicTVMan1981X

ClassicTVMan1981X

Stunt Coordinator

• 104 posts

Posted July 31 2014 - 02:29 PM

So you honestly believe they have what would be one of their best selling animated titles all ready to go and they aren't releasing it for no reason at all and that they would chose to release lesser selling titles before it. You really think they don't like to make money. Sorry I'm not buying that.

There maybe more to the answer then they are giving us but if everything was ready and they were happy with it then it would already be released.

This discussion will never die as long as there are no answers.

~Ben

#2285 of 2609 OFFLINE   Ken_Martinez

Ken_Martinez

Stunt Coordinator

• 158 posts

Posted July 31 2014 - 04:16 PM

If they were scouring around for lost materials, they'd flat out say so (like with the Bowery Boys).

#2286 of 2609 OFFLINE   ClassicTVMan1981X

ClassicTVMan1981X

Stunt Coordinator

• 104 posts

Posted July 31 2014 - 07:11 PM

[color=rgb(51,51,51);font-family:Helvetica, Arial, 'lucida grande', tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif;font-size:12px;]Please note: I tweeted WAC about HEYYY, IT'S THE KING! (1977) and th[/color][color=rgb(51,51,51);font-family:Helvetica, Arial, 'lucida grande', tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif;font-size:12px;]ey say it's not in their cards at this moment. That would mean THE SUPER GLOBETROTTERS (1979) is the only Hanna-Barbera '70s release they plan to put on DVD this year (at least).[/color]

[color=rgb(51,51,51);font-family:Helvetica, Arial, 'lucida grande', tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif;font-size:12px;]I know they flat out told me, time and again, in regards to that show they're still finishing it up, so we'll be seeing that one sooner rather than later.[/color]

[color=rgb(51,51,51);font-family:Helvetica, Arial, 'lucida grande', tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif;font-size:12px;]~Ben[/color]

Edited by ClassicTVMan1981X, July 31 2014 - 07:17 PM.

#2287 of 2609 OFFLINE   rmw650

rmw650

Screenwriter

• 1,147 posts

Posted July 31 2014 - 07:45 PM

Guys, thanks for the updated information on Huckleberry Hound. Those are a lot of shorts still in limbo as I did see a few of them on The Tube but the rest of they have posted on there are in Spanish.

#2288 of 2609 OFFLINE   ClassicTVMan1981X

ClassicTVMan1981X

Stunt Coordinator

• 104 posts

Posted July 31 2014 - 08:21 PM

For all those of you who may be concerned about any DVD release, please read this:

http://www.hometheat...ing-kong/page-3

The words of wisdom in that post are:

Include me in with the group that is glad that Warner [Archive Collection's] taking the time to do it right the first time, instead of giving it a half-baked rush job. Under no circumstances would I begrudge them the extra time on any of their releases, as that might lead to the next one being rushed out the door with a less-than-best effort. None of us would want any of that. 

#2289 of 2609 OFFLINE   Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick

Screenwriter

• 2,645 posts

Posted August 01 2014 - 06:56 AM

That's pretty much what they did say by stating they were trying to restore them with all the connecting parts and more work was needed. They just didn't get into specifics. You have every right to be frustrated, we all get frustrated when titles we want don't come out. This year has seen a lot of 80's titles come out but not many 60's or 70's titles so its been a good year only for fans of the 80's material. I just don't think they would sit on it if they thought it was ready to go.

I do respect your knowledge of animated shorts and TV animation.

If they were scouring around for lost materials, they'd flat out say so (like with the Bowery Boys).

...When you eliminate the impossible whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth

#2290 of 2609 OFFLINE   JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes

Screenwriter

• 2,094 posts

Posted August 01 2014 - 04:20 PM

Well, I wouldn't ask you this if we weren't on a post-100 page of the thread, but what was the story on the 2005 set?  Were they originally going to do a complete series?  What exactly have you been repeating?

#2291 of 2609 OFFLINE   JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes

Screenwriter

• 2,094 posts

Posted August 01 2014 - 07:01 PM

I totally missed the announcement of this before, but apparently WHV has rereleased This is America, Charlie Brown.  http://www.tvshowson...Announced/19486. The first episode, regarding the Mayflower, was an extra on the Charlie Brown Thanksgiving Special, and it is one of the best kids specials out there (would that Classic Media would release Mouse on the Mayflower).  I am excited about this release, and overall, it has been a bang up year so far for WHV on classic tv animation on DVD with this, the Filmation New Adventures of Superman and Batman, and the Rankin Bass Hobbit and Return of the King. 

#2292 of 2609 OFFLINE   Mark Y

Mark Y

Supporting Actor

• 601 posts

Posted August 03 2014 - 11:23 AM

The saddest thing about Huckleberry Hound is, according to stuff Earl Kress posted at various times over the years, prior to the Warner Bros. buyout, Turner had a complete set of 35mm Huckleberry Hound shows in the original broadcast format, including all the interstitials. But after Warner bought Turner's company, it was all junked because they were only B&W copies. So the result was, when they went to put together the DVD set, Mr. Kress was going to use those B&W copies to research where the various interstitials belonged, so the shows could be reconstructed properly. (They had found several in color 35mm film, but not all.) But they were already gone, so that plan was shot. They did reassemble the premiere episode with the majority of the interstitials in color where they existed (and a few in black and white) but after that all they had to go on was pure speculation, so the other four "shows" were put together using whatever else they had, as long as they had an opening and closing cast segment and three short cartoon intros, from various sources. Even the commercials added to the premiere episode can't be right, since one is a Beatles parody and the premiere show is from 1958. They did the best they could with what they have, and I'm glad we got what we got -- though there is still more of this footage that didn't make the "Volume 1" set, some with Hokey Wolf. How I wish the TV-on-DVD boom could have happened 20 or 30 years ago. Go back a couple buyouts and mergers ago. What if Worldvision could have released season sets of Huckleberry Hound back in 1985? When the shows aired on USA Cartoon Express, they only used a few of the interstitials, and only showed them a couple times, and they clearly were not the ones that would have originally been in that particular episode. But they had pristine 35mm material on 90% of the cartoons, and they even had them formatted correctly within the shows -- the first show was Yogi/Pixie/Huck, the second was Pixie/Huck/Yogi, the third was Huck/Yogi/Pixie, etc. USA actually ran them like that, so H-B or Worldvision must have had some records documenting what was supposed to go where and in what order. And I strongly suspect they had a LOT more of the footage than they do now, or at least the archives were better organized.At this point, I'd just like to see the rest of the cartoons come out along with whatever other footage still exists, maybe as extras.

#2293 of 2609 OFFLINE   rmw650

rmw650

Screenwriter

• 1,147 posts

Posted August 03 2014 - 09:55 PM

Mark, well-stated and hoping they do release the remainder of the Hound's episodes in the not too distant future.

#2294 of 2609 OFFLINE   Kirben

Kirben

Extra

• 17 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted August 06 2014 - 03:31 PM

How does Warner Archive decide which titles will be initially released on pressed DVDs? I was surprised a spin-off like Gilligan's Planet is been replicated, while other more well known recent releases (The Jetsons and Jonny Quest) were not.

#2295 of 2609 OFFLINE   JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes

Screenwriter

• 2,094 posts

Posted August 06 2014 - 06:18 PM

How does Warner Archive decide which titles will be initially released on pressed DVDs? I was surprised a spin-off like Gilligan's Planet is been replicated, while other more well known recent releases (The Jetsons and Jonny Quest) were not.

The Jetsons and Jonny Quest sets that were released were 1980s revisitings.  Generally, I think that they are pressing the most popular sets.  Now, how they decide what to release is a mystery to me.

#2296 of 2609 OFFLINE   younger1968

younger1968

Screenwriter

• 2,419 posts

Posted August 06 2014 - 09:55 PM

Over the years WB has said they plan to released all the HB cartoons to dvd. Yet the releases have been few and far between. Take Gilligan as example and you will see it was schedule for released and then delayed due to quality of the backup as such it ws going to take more time restored the show. One has to be wondering if many shows are suffering the same type of issues with the quality of the films/tapes/etc.

The other issues for me is that saturday morning cartoon people like myself are now in our 40s to mid fifties as such the window keeps closing on the old show. The new generation of kids in many cases are not interested in the old cartoon due to how animation was done in the past.

Clue Club is another example for me as it was on one of HB polls, but was never released, why?

We also know from the previous posts shows like Jeannie, Partridge Family 2200AD, Brady Kids, Harlem Globe Trotters, etc have licensing issues. Yet when you watch Goober and the Ghost Chaser the Partridge Kids are included in their episodes or Harlem Globe Trotters are with the Scooby-Doo Movies or sets like the Brady or Partridge family has one episode of the cartoon. I realize licensing can be complicated, especially when dealing with estates, but something does have to give as part resolving the releases of the HB cartoons. I am still disappointed that Scooby-doo movies does not have all the movies due to fact there are issues with licensing!

#2297 of 2609 OFFLINE   JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes

Screenwriter

• 2,094 posts

Posted August 07 2014 - 05:22 AM

I was never really convinced that licensing accounted for all of the missing Scooby Doo Movies, although it may have accounted for some.  Clue Club is one of my favorite 1970s HB cartoons, and why it hasn't been issued yet, I find bizarre.  With the New Adventures of Gilligan, I have to wonder if there isn't some legal issue that is delaying it, that WA has not told us about.  As it has been delayed for 4 years and counting, something must be up with it.  As for the younger generation, my kids love the HB cartoons.  Not surprisingly, the various 1970s era Scooby Doos lead the pack, but they've watched a lot of them and liked them.  My biggest concern is not with the kids, but with WB, they seem to do a lousy job with keeping a lot of it relevant.  Disney managed to do proabably the best classic character reboot ever with Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, which is a great show for toddlers.  When WB has done a classic characrter reboot, they've given us Looney Tunes Unleashed, a show so poorly conceived is seems like something that would be part of a parody of Hollywood studio decision making.  Personally, I have thought that Yogi Bear and many of the other HB characters would do great in a Mickey Mouse Clubhouse type show geared for little kids, and such a show would really help to keep the characters in the public eye.  WB doesn't seem very interested in that though. 

I really appreciate that WA is continuing to release classic animated shows, and I actually purchase most of them, but like you I continue to be frustrated as what they are not putting out, and mystified as to the choices they make.  Personally, I think WA would generate some goodwill with their fans if they would be a bit more upfront about what's going on.

#2298 of 2609 OFFLINE   Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick

Screenwriter

• 2,645 posts

Posted August 07 2014 - 06:38 AM

Ray answered it already but yes The Jetsons and Johnny Quest were the lesser 1980's reboots and not the original classic 1960's shows. Had WA released the original 1960's versions they would have been pressed but those were released by WHV to retail. Both 1960's shows are among my favorites but I passed on the 1980's reboots. Gilligan's Planet is a curious choice for pressed but they must have thought it was going to be a decent seller because of the Gilligan connection and all the request they had for the two Gilligan cartoons although many wanted the first show before this one.

#2299 of 2609 OFFLINE   JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes

Screenwriter

• 2,094 posts

Posted August 07 2014 - 07:36 AM

I was looking on ebay and found this: http://cgi.ebay.com/...#ht_9840wt_1066.  It a promotion package for HB cartoons from 1967. I figured you al must be interested in at least looking at it.  Note: it's not my item and I don't know the seller.

#2300 of 2609 OFFLINE   younger1968

younger1968

Screenwriter

• 2,419 posts

Posted August 07 2014 - 08:17 AM

I was never really convinced that licensing accounted for all of the missing Scooby Doo Movies, although it may have accounted for some.  Clue Club is one of my favorite 1970s HB cartoons, and why it hasn't been issued yet, I find bizarre.  With the New Adventures of Gilligan, I have to wonder if there isn't some legal issue that is delaying it, that WA has not told us about.  As it has been delayed for 4 years and counting, something must be up with it.  As for the younger generation, my kids love the HB cartoons.  Not surprisingly, the various 1970s era Scooby Doos lead the pack, but they've watched a lot of them and liked them.  My biggest concern is not with the kids, but with WB, they seem to do a lousy job with keeping a lot of it relevant.  Disney managed to do proabably the best classic character reboot ever with Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, which is a great show for toddlers.  When WB has done a classic characrter reboot, they've given us Looney Tunes Unleashed, a show so poorly conceived is seems like something that would be part of a parody of Hollywood studio decision making.  Personally, I have thought that Yogi Bear and many of the other HB characters would do great in a Mickey Mouse Clubhouse type show geared for little kids, and such a show would really help to keep the characters in the public eye.  WB doesn't seem very interested in that though. 

I really appreciate that WA is continuing to release classic animated shows, and I actually purchase most of them, but like you I continue to be frustrated as what they are not putting out, and mystified as to the choices they make.  Personally, I think WA would generate some goodwill with their fans if they would be a bit more upfront about what's going on.

Hi Joe,

Thanks for your post!

I am mystified as well to selection of the shows released to DVD. You look at early on and you will see shows like Hong Kong Phoey or Funky Phantom or Goober and Ghost Chasers or other shows were released before other shows, why? I look at my collection as such in many cases I have the shows that I want in my collection. However, there are some shows I like to add as such I will continue to watch the releases to see if they are something I want to own. My cartoon delight ends about 1982 as I had moved into other things as part becoming a teenager.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users