Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Next Hanna-Barbera set?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
2252 replies to this topic

#1 of 2253 Matthew Green

Matthew Green

Stunt Coordinator

• 123 posts

Posted October 06 2004 - 02:13 PM

Any new annoucements?

We know of Wacky Races, Tom and Jerry, Wacky Races, Top Cat, and Flintstones 2...

#2 of 2253 Casey Trowbridg

Casey Trowbridg

Lead Actor

• 9,209 posts

Posted October 06 2004 - 02:46 PM

Quote:
Any new annoucements?

No, and I doubt you'll see any new announcements until after these have hit the shelves. There is sure still a lot I'd like to see come out that's for sure.

Oh, and welcome to the HTF!

#3 of 2253 Joshua Lane

Joshua Lane

Second Unit

• 369 posts

Posted October 06 2004 - 02:51 PM

Wave 1 - March 16th (Announced in January)
Flintstones: Complete First Season
Scooby Doo, Where Are You! - Seasons 1&2

Wave 2 - May 11th (Announced in February)
Jonny Quest - Season 1
Jetsons: Complete First Season

Wave 3 - October 19th (Announced in July)
Tom and Jerry - Spotlight Collection 1
Wacky Races: The Complete Series

Wave 4 - December 7th (Announced in August)
Flintstones: Season Two
Top Cat: The Complete Series

...if things follow the pattern, I bet we'll get the next wave announced in early December, for a March release. And I'm guessing new seasons of either Jetsons or Scooby-Doo is among the releases.

#4 of 2253 Paul Miller

Paul Miller

Supporting Actor

• 567 posts

Posted October 06 2004 - 03:42 PM

Did Scooby Doo do well enough to warrant more releases? It seems like it is the only title that they didn't reduce the price on and it couldn't have outsold the Flintstones, could it?

Paul

#5 of 2253 Jaime_Weinman

Jaime_Weinman

Supporting Actor

• 766 posts

Posted October 06 2004 - 04:07 PM

There wasn't actually a season 2 of The Jetsons -- they did one season, and then it was cancelled. It was revived for Saturday mornings in the '80s (with the addition of a cute space alien called "Orbity"), but I doubt that releasing that is a priority for WB, which is concentrating on the "classic" Hanna-Barbera shows of the '60s rather than the down-and-out Hanna-Barbera of the '80s.

#6 of 2253 Tory

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-

• 1,301 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted October 06 2004 - 04:14 PM

I think more people are buying Scooby at Wal-Mart and they are clearing out the rest of the others, last time I saw the other three, they had a sign saying last chance at my local Wal-Mart.

TVSHOWSONDVD reports
Yogi Bear , Huckleberry Hound , and Josie and The Pussycats.Whether Yogi and Huck include their supprting shorts is beyond me but Jerry Beck had this contractually limited thing to say about Hanna Barbera over at the animation show forums:

Quote:
I will tell you, without fear of reprecussion, that my friend Earl Kress (producer of Rhino's Hanna Barbera's musical audio CDs of The Flintstones, Pic-A-Nic Basket, etc.) will be involved, adding his extensive expertise to the compiling of future H-B dvds (Neither Earl nor I was involved with the recent releases of FLINTSTONES, JETSONS or JONNY QUEST). So we are in good hands.

Hungry enough to eat a turnip and call it a turkey.

#7 of 2253 Casey Trowbridg

Casey Trowbridg

Lead Actor

• 9,209 posts

Posted October 06 2004 - 04:49 PM

From a review I read over at DVD Toons the Scooby-Doo seasons 1 and 2 release, contains all of the Scooby episodes from that original format.

The next incarnation was the hour long Scooby-Doo movies where they interacted with celebrities and the like, and then I think it went back and they did more episodes like the original 2 seasons, only with Scrappy Doo added to the cast...and then all hell broke loose.

Count me in for as much Scooby-Doo as they decide to release though, only I would like as a bonus feature the ability to have an audio track with loud booing inserted whenever Scrappy Doo does any of his useless running bits.

As for sales, I can't imagine Scooby-Doo selling poorly, I mean its still a big money maker for Warner even today, that dog is everywhere.

That's not to say it sold great, it did carry a high price tag, but I'm sure it did fairly ok.

#8 of 2253 Matthew Green

Matthew Green

Stunt Coordinator

• 123 posts

Posted October 06 2004 - 05:10 PM

Great news and thanks for the welcome! I just got into this DVD thing BECAUSE of TV shows...

It is so great that something so obscure like Wacky Races is being released. Not to mention Top Cat...

Here's hoping:

Wally Gator
Magilla Gorilla
Atom Ant
SnagglePuss
JabberJaw

And more will be made

#9 of 2253 Tory

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-

• 1,301 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted October 06 2004 - 05:12 PM

Quote:
The next incarnation was the hour long Scooby-Doo movies where they interacted with celebrities and the like, and then I think it went back and they did more episodes like the original 2 seasons, only with Scrappy Doo added to the cast...and then all hell broke loose.

I was thinking The New Scooby-Doo Movie would be next but I wasn't sure. This was my favorite and it ran for 24 hour long episodes over two seasons. The Featured guests include The Three Stooges (twice), Batman and Robin (twice), The Addams Family, Jonathan Winters, Don Knotts (twice), Phyllis Diller, Sandy Duncan, Sonny and Cher, Laurel and Hardy, The Harlem Globetrotters (three times), Davy Jones, Jerry Reed, Josie and the Pussycats, Jeannie and Babu, Tim Conway, Don Adams, Speed Buggy, Mama Cass Elliot, and Dick Van Dyke. If you notice, this includes a few other Hanna-Barbera cartoons, I think it would serve as a good intro for some of these other series.

Also, I think Wacky Races means Dastardly and Muttley in Their Flying Machines and The Perils of Penelope Pitstop are on their way in the cult following department. I remember reading someone involved said they wanted to explore some cult series and I think there is none more obvious than Hong Kong Phooey.Captain Caveman and Pirates of Darkwater may apply here too.Also in the cult and mainstream audience, Quick Draw Mc Graw needs a release, majorly even. Still, I want The Amazing Chan and the Chan Clan most of all though. Clue Club, Dynomutt, and Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kids would be nice too but the Chan series is needed most expeditiously.
Hungry enough to eat a turnip and call it a turkey.

#10 of 2253 Bryan^H

Bryan^H

Screenwriter

• 2,572 posts

Posted July 29 2005 - 09:05 AM

Clue Club rules. Man I really, relly hope one of the Hanna Barbera sets wil be Clue Club. I love Woofer, and Wimper. My friend once referred to Clue Club as the Poor Man's Scooby Doo, and while I laughed out loud, I had to disagree. I always thought Clue Club was a lot creepier.

housekeeping 2.jpg

"She always does that, she just wanders away"

#11 of 2253 Kieran Brown

Kieran Brown

Agent

• 43 posts

Posted August 03 2005 - 01:21 AM

On tv.com I asked in the Captain Planet & The Planeteers forum who has the DVD distributing rights for it, someone said Hanna-Barbara, is that true??
Is there an official site for Hanna-Barbara?

#12 of 2253 Greg Chenoweth

Greg Chenoweth

Supporting Actor

• 610 posts

Posted August 03 2005 - 02:21 AM

Hanna-Barbera produced "The Clue Club" but Warner Brothers now owns Hanna-Barbera and has exclusive distribution rights to the show.

You can write to Warner Home Video through their website to request the show, but they are not good at replying.

Warner has been doing a good job of releasing Hanna-Barbera material on DVD over the last year and a half. November will see Huckleberry Hound Volume 1, Yogi Bear - The Complete Series and Flintstones Season 4. They have put out the complete Wacky Races, Dastardly and Muttley, and Penelope Pitstop shows on DVD. Hopefully in the future "Clue Club" will be released as well.

I just thought of another source to voice your interest in a "Clue Club" DVD. Warner Brothers recently started a website www.classiccartoonsdvd.com. This is a site devoted to classic cartoons like Huck, Yogi and Clue Club. There is a message board there and you can make your request on the board under the title "Ask the Animators." About once a month they answer all the questions people ask and the most frequently asked one is requests for shows on DVD. Give it a try!

#13 of 2253 younger1968

younger1968

Screenwriter

• 2,225 posts

Posted September 21 2010 - 11:30 PM

Yesterday there was announcement on Josie and the pussycats in outerspace being released on MOD and the Adams Family (1973) in October. That is a good sign that maybe more cartoons are on their way. I hope so, because i really like to see Speed Buggy, Jabberjaw, Goober and the Ghost Chaser, funky phantom, etc.

I grew up with saturday morning cartoons and would love to see more released.

#14 of 2253 Regulus

Regulus

Screenwriter

• 2,198 posts

Posted September 22 2010 - 12:17 AM

I'd like to see:

1. From Hanna Barbera:

The Adventures of Gulliver

The Adventures of Huck Finn

Devlin

Fantastic Four (1966)

Funky Phantom

The Herculoids

Moby Dick and Mighty Mightor

Space Kiddettes

2. From Filmation:

Fantastic Voyage

The Hardy Boys

Lassie's Rescue Rangers

Journey to the Center of the Earth

Shazam!

3. Other Cartoons

Hot Wheels (1969)

The Lone Ranger (1966)

Marvel Superheroes (1966)

Skyhawks

4. "Live Action" Saturday Morning Shows (Not done by any of the above)

Barrier Reef

Run Joe Run

Westwind

DVD Collection Inventory: TV Episodes - 33,704( 733 Series ) :biggrin: Movies - 2,379  :biggrin:  Serial Chapters - 1,102 :B)

#15 of 2253 younger1968

younger1968

Screenwriter

• 2,225 posts

Posted March 25 2011 - 12:00 AM

The last announcement was valley of dinosaurs and that is on now. It has been quiet from WB about what they are planning next for their release. Ideally, i like to see the herculoids make the list along with the following

1. Sealab 2020

2. Banana Splits

3. Captain Caveman and the teen angels

I have 35 completed cartoons and i have speed buggy, jabberjaw and funky phantom on order or have been shipped. I usually watch an hour or so of cartoons on saturday morning and i am glad that i have many of the shows from the 1970s. I would love to see more of the filmation shows release, especially live action shows. I had thought HB bought filmation and also their issues with licensing of the shows. I love to see far out space nuts, etc.

#16 of 2253 Greg Chenoweth

Greg Chenoweth

Supporting Actor

• 610 posts

Posted March 25 2011 - 12:51 AM

Here is a link to an article about the Warner Archive that was posted on March 24 at the New York Post:

http://www.nypost.co...huNwN1iTZDbMuGI

The article celebrates the Archive's second anniversary.  However, there is this little gem from the interview with George Feltenstein of Warner Brothers:

"The HB titles have been so extraordinary successful; I never would have guessed in my wildest dreams that they would be as popular as Kay Francis. We really have different classifications of fans, something for everyone. That speaks to the wide variety of our library."

Let's keep it up, gang!  HB is doing great at Warner Archive!

#17 of 2253 Frank Soyke

Frank Soyke

Supporting Actor

• 605 posts

Posted March 25 2011 - 12:53 AM

I doubt you will see the Chan Clan released due to the Asian stereotypes associated with it.

#18 of 2253 JamesSmith

JamesSmith

Supporting Actor

• 800 posts

Posted March 25 2011 - 01:02 AM

Originally Posted by Frank Soyke 

I doubt you will see the Chan Clan released due to the Asian stereotypes associated with it.

If that were the case, two episodes wouldn't have already shown up in the Saturday Morning series.  It does have a nifty tv theme.

James

#19 of 2253 Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick

Screenwriter

• 2,265 posts

Posted March 25 2011 - 02:06 AM

You beat me to it. So I'll just say ditto.

Chan Clan is one that for some reason I never saw originally growing up in the 70's. It was probably on the same time as something else I watched.

I had no interest in it before since I didn't watch it. But after seeing the two episodes on the collections I like it and would buy it. Sealab 2020 is another one that somehow escaped me before but I would also buy after seeing it now.

I agree with Greg lets get the HB going and I think we will see all of them released over the next few years.

Originally Posted by JamesSmith 

If that were the case, two episodes wouldn't have already shown up in the Saturday Morning series.  It does have a nifty tv theme.

James

...When you eliminate the impossible whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth

Top 20 Films

#20 of 2253 Greg Chenoweth

Greg Chenoweth

Supporting Actor

• 610 posts

Posted March 25 2011 - 04:12 AM

I agree with you, Randy.  I never watched the Chan Clan growing up, but fans of the show should have an opportunity to purchase the episodes on DVD.  I would really like to see the other "Yogi" shows come out through the Archive.  I'm glad sales are going well, so it bodes well for more releases in the future.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Forum Nav Content I Follow