What's new

THATS ENTERTAINMENT trilogy - anyone? (1 Viewer)

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
Does anyone have a copy of Thats Entertainment trilogy due out next Tuesday.
I am anxious to know what are the 16 musical outtakes on disc four. Anyone know?

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
Here's hoping that we get a few more unexpected out-take gems over and above those that were already on the Laserdisc Set.

I'm anxious to see if the image quality of the musical sequences on Entertainment 1 and 2 have been improved to the standard that we have come to expect today.
Up until now the musical sequences in 1 and 2 have looked pretty ordinary.
The fact that the set will be 16:9 should improve the resolution somewhat, so let's hope the color is improved as well.

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
Warners is having trouble clearing these old outtakes. Many were not a problem on laserdisc because it was a small market.
You notice that on the recent DVD of In th eGood Old Summertimes, we did NOT get the filmed outtake of Garland doing "Last Night When We Were Young"

SteveK

Supporting Actor
I have this set on pre-order from DV2 (as of today), and I'm looking forward to getting it in a week or two. I'm surprised I haven't seen any reviews of this set here or anywhere else. Is there a review blackout? At any rate, I'm looking forward to seeing this set. I did see portions of the TCM broadcast on Monday night, and I'm sure the DVD will look just as good or better.

Steve K.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will

Oh GOSH....I was HOPING we didn't get the outtake because Warner knew it would be including it as part of the trilogy! Yikes.....!!!!!!!!!!!!

Where'd you hear that Joe? (I guess I'm saying "prove it" heheh) What could be the hold-up? The music rights?

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
I heard this from inside Warner Home Vid. No Clearance on "Last Night". It would be nice if they have made another effort and include it in the trilogy box set. So far, no word on what those 16 filmed outtakes are.
Two - I would most like to see - both from Kismet
1. the uncut Rhahadlakum number.
2. the cut Rhymes Have I
One outtake that was lost I kep hoping they find.
When MGM did a set of Brigadoon on laser - they included three filmed outtakes - Come to me Bend to me - the sword Dance - From this day On.
Missing was "There But for you Go I" I still hope they find it.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Thanks for the reply, but that is distressing news. I found Judy's performance of "Last Night" to be beautiful and haunting in that outtake. A shame.....

Thanks again for the info (and I'll overlook your questionable affection for KISMET :D )

Conrad_SSS

Second Unit
Fear not...

More incorrect information being spread without the real facts causing fans to be needlessly disappointed is not a good thing.

Judy Garland's poignant performance of LAST NIGHT WHEN WE WERE YOUNG is most definitely one of the 16 outtake musical numbers included in the THAT'S ENTERTAINMENT collection's bonus (4th) disc.

ArthurMy

Supporting Actor
Thank you, ConradSSS. This mis-information (spread as if it were gospel) is the only thing that drives me a bit crazy at this marvelous site - and it seems to always come fromt he same two or three people. Glad to hear it's on there and can't wait to get the set.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug

Arthur, I think you have mis-read what Joe said. He said that Warner did not get clearance for the outake "Last Night When We Were Young" for the recent DVD of "In the Good Old Summertime" and hopes that they have made another effort to include it in the That's Entertainment box set. He does NOT say that the outtake is not in the box set and is therefore not spreading mis-information.

ArthurMy

Supporting Actor
Oh, at the wish of Robert Crawford I don't want to get into any arguments. Just read the thread. I didn't write the initial "mis-information" post, ConradSSS did, and I concurred because I came to the same conclusion he did.

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
When the Judy Garland signature box was released with many extra goodies, I was surprised the Last Night number was not there as it had been on a laserdisc. Called a firend at Warner Vid who told me they could not clear it for the dVD.
A friend of mine got a copy of the Thats Entertainment trilogy dvd today, and read me a list of the filmed outtakes. Many were on the old box laser. Missing this time is Is It a Crime from bells are Ringing, but we are getting that when Bells Are Ringing is released next year.
He did tell me that Last night IS on the new box set. Also the alternate Lady Loves from I Love Melvin.
Also ther is the Esther williams version of Why is Love so crazy. OPriginally, this was to be the first half of a number, the second half sung by Howard Kellis still in Pagan love Song. IT's still the temp version with Piano only. The version owith orchestra exists. How do i know? I have it!!

Questionable? This is the greatest fun musical from 50's M-G-M. How could anyone not enjoy it? Its got everything! Great production values, beautiful music, phenomenal costumes, excellent cast and all of this wrapped up in CinemaScope! Can't wait for the mooted 2005 release of this gem along with a SE of 'Brigadoon'.

Joe, I had no idea it was missing even more treats. Bring 'em on and I hope we get lots more stuff that wasnt on the laserdisc set for 'Thats Entertainment' too.

Drew Salzan

Second Unit
I can't wait. The I LOVE MELVIN outtake will be a real treat. I have always felt that this film was underrated.

The bonus disc on the laser collection was great; too bad they are not repeating those sequences on the DVD set minus the VHS tape logos (if you have this collection, you'll know what I mean).

Conrad_SSS

Second Unit
Here is a complete list of the outtake musical numbers contained in the collection (There are 17 outtake numbers, with 2 from Pagan Love Song edited together as one selection):

1. Boys and Girls Like You and Me (Take Me Out to the Ballgame) Frank Sinatra

2. An Easier Way (Good News) June Allyson & Patricia Marshall

3. A Lady Loves (I Love Melvin)Debbie Reynolds & Donald O'Connor

4. Last Night When We Were Young (In the Good Old Summertime) Judy Garland

5. Little Big Shot (This Time for Keeps) Jimmy Durante

6. The Lock Step (The March of Time-1930)Dodge Twins

7. Love and Kisses (Rose Marie) Bert Lahr & Marjorie Main

8. Mr. Monotony (Easter Parade) Judy Garland

9. My Intuition (The Harvey Girls) Judy Garland/Hodiak

10. One Love of Mine (That Midnight Kiss) Grayson/Lanza

11. Sea of the Moon (Pagan Love Song) Esther Williams

12. Warm Hands, Cold Heart (Duchess of Idaho) Mel Torme

13. Why is Love so Crazy (Pagan Love Song)Esther Williams

14. Why So Gloomy (Holiday in Mexico) Jane Powell

15. You Belong to My Heart (Sombrero) Yvonne De Carlo

16. You Got Looks (Meet Me In Las Vegas)Lena Horne

17. You Won’t Forget Me (Duchess of Idaho) Lena Horne

Ben_D

Agent
I'm glad to see they included the complete "Mr. Monotony" outtake on the bonus disc. It's maddening that it's not complete in the film version of Part III. But why wouldn't they include the complete versions of the other outtakes which were edited in Part III? I'd like to see the complete version of Lena Horne's "Ain't it the Truth," for one.

Larry Gardner

Stunt Coordinator
I have the That's Entertainment Collection on laserdisc.
Does anyone know what is not included from that collection on the That's Entertainment Trilogy DVD?

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
This IS great news!! I can't WAIT!

heheheh. I REFUSE to change my earlier position!! :b

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
The only diappointment for the TE BOXSET is that there is no insert or booklet with any indication as to what are in the chapters of all four discs. It must all be done on the Menu screens of each disc.

Roger Rollins

Supporting Actor

WRONG!

Either you haven't gotten the set yet or you got a set missing inserts....

I got the set last night (haven't had time to really watch it yet), and the three feature discs themselves have very nice inserts that have full descriptions of each musical number found within the chapters. The bonus fourth disc does not have an insert.

I plan to start my weekend going through this incredible compendium tonight!:)

I did glance at a few moments of each film, and the new 16x9 transfers look spectacular and breathtaking. The 5.1 sound is amazing. I did watch a few of the outtake numbers which I've never seen before (great fun!), and there is about a half hour from a 1976 Mike Douglas show celebrating TE2 that is worth the price of the box alone.

The packaging is gorgeous. I'm sure I'll want to post more about this after I've watched everything, but right now all I can say is WOW!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks