Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

The Casebook of Sherlock Holmes (Jeremy Brett) is the best set yet!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
No replies to this topic

#1 of 1 OFFLINE   David Illingworth II

David Illingworth II

Second Unit

• 448 posts

Posted October 04 2004 - 07:51 AM

The Casebook of Sherlock Holmes, starring Jeremy Brett as the man himself, came out on September 28th. Having viewed five of the six 1 hour episodes included I can say that MPI Home Video has done their best transfer work yet on this series.
This is the fourth release of the series, following the Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, the Sherlock Holmes Feature Film Collection, and the Return of Sherlock Holmes. Adventures and Return included roughly a dozen episodes on four discs, and the Film Collection featured 4 two hour films on four discs. The video/audio quality in Adventures and the Film Collection were sub-par, and neither set included any real special features.
MPI has been improving since then. The Return featured better transfers, and special features in the form of a brand new interview with actor Edward Hardwick ("Dr. Watson") and commentary by director John Madden on an episode. That said, the quality was nothing fantastic and the episodes themselves varied in how good they were content-wise.
I'm pleased to report that the Casebook features at least 5 fantastic episodes (and others may enjoy "The Creeping Man" more than I do). I found the video transfer to be the best yet, which is to say crisp and clean, with decent black levels. I'm no expert though--I can just assure fans of the series that quality has improved from the earlier sets.
Once again, John Madden does commentary on an episode, and also included are an interview with Jeremy Brett (who died in the mid-90s) and Edward Hardwick from a television show done circa the time Casebook was shot, I believe. Also included is a black and white news short about the opening of a Sherlock Holmes exhibit at a museum (?!).
I'm a huge fan of the series, so I have been very pleasantly surprised by this set, as I had thought that quality had continued to decline the longer the series ran, but I did not find this to be the case at all with the stories in this set. All are very stylish and feature Brett in top form as Holmes. Just wanted to get the word out to any other fans of Brett's Holmes. If anyone else has the set, please post your comments.
Also, fans may be interested to know that final set, The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes, will be released October 26th.
Have you ever heard of Vietnam, Larry?