Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Boston Legal ongoing thread

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
135 replies to this topic

#1 of 136 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,896 posts

Posted October 03 2004 - 03:12 AM

Taking over "The Practice"'s timeslot of 10 p.m. EDT on ABC, Boston Legal premieres tonight. James Spader, fresh off his recent Emmy win (as well as William Shatner) stars in the law drama where line between right/wrong/legal/illegal is constantly being blurred. The cast was fun to watch last season on "The Practice" and I hope the writers can sustain the characterizations and semi-interesting court cases.
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#2 of 136 OFFLINE   Kristian

Kristian

Supporting Actor

• 946 posts

Posted October 03 2004 - 03:17 PM

Hilariously wacky show. I couldn't believe my eyes when Al Sharpton showed up! Posted Image

William Shatner and James Spader were both great. And the three female leads were all easy on the eyes. Posted Image I also thought it was a nice Star Trek connection to see Rene Auberjonois (Odo on Deep Space Nine) in the same show as Shatner.

I never watched The Practice, but I'll definitely be tuning in to this unpredictable dramedy.
Film Lists: 2001 | 2002 | 2003 | 2004 | 2005 | 2006 | Pre-2006 | 2009
CollectionsMusic

#3 of 136 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,896 posts

Posted October 03 2004 - 03:19 PM

I was kind of amazed they didn't really introduce the Monica Potter character (Lori), given all her airtime in this episode. I guess she replaced the Rebecca Demornay character.

Keen Eddie (Brad) and Alan are going to be fun to watch. Shore's pronouncement that Sally and Brad being former lovers by the way they argued was cute.

Tara was reduced to being a hottie enticement, but I ain't complaining.

Seeing the "Sorry" guy (from the current commercial) as the sleazy father using his kids to drive his ex-wife from moving out of the state was odd.

Shore having to argue to Annie case (a black mom screams racism because her daughter wasn't given the role of Annie due to her ethnicity). Denny Crane suggest Shore pull and rabbit out of the hat, and courtesy of Denny, that rabbit was the Rev. Al Sharpton.

Next week it looks like it's going to be crowded for ex-Melrose Place cast members as 3 of them will be on Sunday night shows (Daphne Zuniga on American Dreams, Doug Savant on Desperate Housewives, and Kelly Rutherford on Boston Legal).

#4 of 136 OFFLINE   Raasean Asaad

Raasean Asaad

Supporting Actor

• 962 posts

Posted October 03 2004 - 03:43 PM

I thought it was an okay premiere but the show's music was horrible.
Good lord, there's nothing worse than the foul stench of desperation when someone wants to be famous.

- Luis Esp

#5 of 136 OFFLINE   Kristian

Kristian

Supporting Actor

• 946 posts

Posted October 03 2004 - 03:50 PM

Quote:
I thought it was an okay premiere but the show's music was horrible.

I'll agree about the music. It was a little too goofy for my tastes.
Film Lists: 2001 | 2002 | 2003 | 2004 | 2005 | 2006 | Pre-2006 | 2009
CollectionsMusic

#6 of 136 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,896 posts

Posted October 03 2004 - 03:51 PM

I thought the music was rather bold in having some fun with the situations that developed. Maybe I just liked it because it gave my surround speakers something to do during the show. Posted Image

#7 of 136 OFFLINE   Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph

Producer

• 4,042 posts

Posted October 03 2004 - 04:19 PM

I'm so glad they didn't put Al Sharpton in the commercials. His appearance made for a wonderful surprise.
My Collection

#8 of 136 OFFLINE   NolanJ

NolanJ

Second Unit

• 451 posts

Posted October 03 2004 - 04:42 PM

Quote:
Next week it looks like it's going to be crowded for ex-Melrose Place cast members as 3 of them will be on Sunday night shows (Daphne Zuniga on American Dreams, Doug Savant on Desperate Housewives, and Kelly Rutherford on Boston Legal).

One of those housewives was on Melrose Place also... the red headed wife.

#9 of 136 OFFLINE   LanieParker

LanieParker

Supporting Actor

• 735 posts

Posted October 04 2004 - 06:55 AM

I wasn't planning onwatching this at all, but it came on after DH and my husband wanted to watch it. I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised. As much as I cannot stand William Shatner, he did a nice job in his role. James Spader is awesome as always in anything he does.

I may just have to add this one to my lineup.

#10 of 136 OFFLINE   Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph

Producer

• 4,042 posts

Posted October 04 2004 - 11:17 AM

The show did a good job comign up with a very differrent style from the Pratcice, even if it did lead to some odd cinematography.
My Collection

#11 of 136 OFFLINE   chuck_b

chuck_b

Supporting Actor

• 540 posts

Posted October 04 2004 - 01:48 PM

I found the quick zooming into characters distracting. Although it was only a small incremental zoom, it was noticable enough to get old by the third show or so. The show needs to stand on it's own through good writing and memorable characters and guest appearances. The quirky camera work and music will not sustain the show.
"The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad. "

#12 of 136 OFFLINE   pitchman

pitchman

Screenwriter

• 1,843 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MO

Posted October 04 2004 - 03:16 PM

A fun show with lots of potential, IMO! This is a fast moving hour with a splendid cast. Spader is in fine form, but I thought Shatner's "Denny Crane" character was a little less bombastic than during his Practice appearances. Shatner was good though, just a bit more toned-down than before. I agree about the camera work. The "shaky cam" and "quick zoom" is right out of Hill Street Blues and NYPD Blue. It is more distracting than anything else.
Gary

#13 of 136 OFFLINE   Rob T

Rob T

Screenwriter

• 1,991 posts

Posted October 04 2004 - 05:01 PM

I miss Denny Crane announcing himself where ever he goes. Posted Image

#14 of 136 OFFLINE   Mikah Cerucco

Mikah Cerucco

Screenwriter

• 2,462 posts

Posted October 05 2004 - 04:57 PM

I watched every episode of Murder One. When that was cancelled, I watched every episode of The Practice (it took Murder One's time slot). Boston Legal will need to grow on me as I wasn't impressed. I never watched Ally MacBeal, but this show seems closer to my sense of Ally than The Practice. May just not be my cup of tea. It feels thrown together for shocks and laughs.

The women are cute, but letting them just be that is underusing them tremendously. C'mon. It's 2004. Women who graduate from law school are not doorstops. All of these characters, including Denny Crane and Alan Shore, were much better last season when they premiered on The Practice.

Here's hoping it gets better.
Studios, caption your internet streams.

#15 of 136 OFFLINE   Raasean Asaad

Raasean Asaad

Supporting Actor

• 962 posts

Posted October 06 2004 - 08:55 AM

I miss Denny Crane announcing himself where ever he goes.

It ws funnier when Al Sharpton did it on his way out.
Good lord, there's nothing worse than the foul stench of desperation when someone wants to be famous.

- Luis Esp

#16 of 136 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,896 posts

Posted October 10 2004 - 04:22 PM

I wasn't all that hot on this episode, even with the appearance of Elizabeth Mitchell (whom I mis-identified as Kelly Rutherford in a quick snippet from the previews). The stalker subplot didn't need to come so quick to this show.

Alan must always have some lady in waiting while he's diddling with his current lady friend. Sally is starting to looking like a butterface (she looks worse when she puts on a lot of makeup).

Brad's speedtalking at the meeting was probably the only funny bit this episode.

Denny's defense seemed forced and unconvincing to me.

#17 of 136 OFFLINE   Michael Harris

Michael Harris

Screenwriter

• 1,344 posts

Posted October 11 2004 - 01:20 AM

I wanted to watch the second episode but the local ABC affiliate pre-empted the primetime line up in order to air another Redskins loss. Fortunately, for me anyway, they showed Boston Legal late at night and my PC (hopefully) recorded it.

#18 of 136 OFFLINE   chuck_b

chuck_b

Supporting Actor

• 540 posts

Posted October 11 2004 - 03:21 AM

I want to like it but...

Spader's character was much better when surrounded by "normal" people - a la "The Practice". When he is tossed in with a firm full of exaggarated stereotypes, his character becomes neutered. I am afraid that the producers may have assumed that Spader and Shatner's presence alone could make for a winner. The overused stories, on-going "crisis" with Denny's mental issues and Spader's fickleness with women cannot last a season - much last beyond. I had hoped for more.
"The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad. "

#19 of 136 OFFLINE   Michael Harris

Michael Harris

Screenwriter

• 1,344 posts

Posted October 11 2004 - 10:16 PM

A little help please. As I stated above, my local ABC station delayed broadcast of last Sunday's episode due to Redskins football. My PC recorded all but about the last six minutes. Can anyone tell me what happened when Spader's ex-girl friend showed up at the party?

#20 of 136 OFFLINE   Evan Lee

Evan Lee

Stunt Coordinator

• 59 posts

Posted October 12 2004 - 12:43 AM

I realize they have to develop all of these new characters, but the next few episodes need more screen time for Rhona Mitra in them. Other than that, this is my new favorite show until Alias starts up again.

Forum Nav Content I Follow