Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Help/Advice really needed. Please read, drug-related

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

#1 of 13 OFFLINE   Ricardo C

Ricardo C

Producer

• 5,060 posts

Posted October 01 2004 - 11:13 AM

I have a friend. My friend used to smoke pot thanks to her ex, wonderful guy that he is Posted Image, who was also a dealer. They've been apart for some months now, and she gave up pot when they broke up. So far, so good.

However, her ex came to see her today desperate, because he owes his provider a lot of money he can't pay up. His little sister has been threatened, and my friend fears she may be next, since she knows the provider guy and he knows her ex still has feelings for her.

She's thinking of going to the police and telling them all she knows, but she fears getting in trouble. CAN she get in trouble on the basis of having smoked within the past year, and knowing who the provider is and where he grows his stuff? Does she even have to tell them what she knows about the provider? Can she get protection without making herself a key witness?

Info would be very much appreciated Posted Image

Man, an hour wasted on this sig! Thanks, Toshiba! :P

#2 of 13 OFFLINE   Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood

Producer

• 3,215 posts

Posted October 01 2004 - 01:49 PM

She should run those questions by a lawyer, not a forum.

What country is she in?

#3 of 13 OFFLINE   Kirk Gunn

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter

• 1,612 posts

Posted October 02 2004 - 02:22 AM

Chris' inquiry of the country is very important. In the States, cops don't care much about past smokers if they can get their hands on dealers/providers. Then again, depending on the town, it may be very difficult to keep living there after turning someone in. In the US, this would probably be a local or state affair, so "witness protection" probably wouldn't enter the picture unless it is a high-end Federal investigation (depending on the quantities involved).

Good luck to your friend, hopefully she chooses her new associates a bit more carefully.

#4 of 13 OFFLINE   Ricardo C

Ricardo C

Producer

• 5,060 posts

Posted October 02 2004 - 10:51 AM

Thanks for the info, Kirk. I'd rather not give details about where this is taking place, but your info is pretty useful regardless of location. Thanks Posted Image

btw, by "witness protection" I didn't mean relocation of anything like that, more like someone periodically checking her workplace or something along those lines, in case someone did indeed try to intimidate her, or worse.

#5 of 13 OFFLINE   Leila Dougan

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter

• 1,352 posts

Posted October 02 2004 - 11:01 AM

Well, I think if it came to a point that she was being harrassed (by any of them) she could get a restraining order. Now, whether it does much good, I don't know. But if she has one then her employer can keep a watch out and call the police if necessary.

#6 of 13 OFFLINE   Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt

Producer

• 4,207 posts

Posted October 02 2004 - 04:05 PM

My first thought about this was to have her move to a relative's place, but if the problem isn't taken care of then they WILL find her.

The only other option is to rat them out. I don't know about the laws where she is, and maybe this isn't true, (because I've kept a clean life), but like on Law & Order, they don't arrest you for crimes not in their section, and if she is clean now, that might not matter anyway.

Glenn

#7 of 13 OFFLINE   Jason_Els

Jason_Els

Screenwriter

• 1,096 posts

Posted October 03 2004 - 11:31 AM

Quote:
She should run those questions by a lawyer, not a forum.

Can't emphasize this strongly enough. Find a lawyer who specializes in drug cases and be sure the lawyer doesn't have the dealer for a client.
For beauty is only a step removed from a burning terror we barely sustain, and we worship it for the graceful sublimity with which it disdains to consume us. - Rainer Maria Rilke

My DVD Collection

#8 of 13 OFFLINE   Ricardo C

Ricardo C

Producer

• 5,060 posts

Posted October 04 2004 - 02:52 AM

Thanks for all the advice, everyone. It's been very helpful Posted Image

#9 of 13 OFFLINE   Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood

Producer

• 3,215 posts

Posted October 04 2004 - 04:38 AM

> I'd rather not give details about where this is taking place

You can't even name the country? Yet one of your options is to advise her to tell all?

#10 of 13 OFFLINE   Matt Stryker

Matt Stryker

Screenwriter

• 1,313 posts

Posted October 04 2004 - 07:30 AM

Quote:
CAN she get in trouble on the basis of having smoked within the past year

This one is easy IF she in the US...having used drugs in the past is not a crime, possessing, growing, or selling them would be. If shes going to the cops, she should probably be willing to tell all, because just telling enough can get you into more trouble than if you just kept your mouth shut.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong. The only thing she might be in trouble with is "where he grows his stuff"...but again I'm no expert on South American justice, penalties may be different there.

My personal advice for her would be to cut all ties to this guy, SEVERELY, and start dating someone else. Being a key witness is probably not going to be all its cracked up to be, regardless of where she is.

#11 of 13 OFFLINE   Greg_R

Greg_R

Screenwriter

• 1,998 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted October 04 2004 - 11:58 AM

Her story to the cops would be enough to get a search warrant. After raiding the bf's house, they would not need testimony (there should be plenty of evidence!). Her boyfriend might never know who went to the cops (if the situation was handled correctly).

#12 of 13 OFFLINE   Ricardo C

Ricardo C

Producer

• 5,060 posts

Posted October 04 2004 - 12:42 PM

Matt, Greg, thanks for your thoughts.

Quote:
You can't even name the country? Yet one of your options is to advise her to tell all?

I didn't advise her to do anything. She decided to go to the police on her own. No, I won't name the country. Let it go. I've thanked people for their advice, because it was indeed helpful, but I can't say more than that.

Can a moderator please close this?

#13 of 13 OFFLINE   Scott Tucker

Scott Tucker

Stunt Coordinator

• 231 posts

Posted October 05 2004 - 09:49 AM

I would tell her to lock the x out and don't say a word of this to anyone especially the cops. Right now she hasn't done anything wrong to the dealers, growers, etc., so they really don't have much reason to harm her.
"He's right. The ear's hacked off." Mr. Pink from Reservoir Dogs.

Forum Nav Content I Follow