What's new

Help/Advice really needed. Please read, drug-related (1 Viewer)

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
I have a friend. My friend used to smoke pot thanks to her ex, wonderful guy that he is :angry:, who was also a dealer. They've been apart for some months now, and she gave up pot when they broke up. So far, so good.

However, her ex came to see her today desperate, because he owes his provider a lot of money he can't pay up. His little sister has been threatened, and my friend fears she may be next, since she knows the provider guy and he knows her ex still has feelings for her.

She's thinking of going to the police and telling them all she knows, but she fears getting in trouble. CAN she get in trouble on the basis of having smoked within the past year, and knowing who the provider is and where he grows his stuff? Does she even have to tell them what she knows about the provider? Can she get protection without making herself a key witness?

Info would be very much appreciated :frowning:

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter
Chris' inquiry of the country is very important. In the States, cops don't care much about past smokers if they can get their hands on dealers/providers. Then again, depending on the town, it may be very difficult to keep living there after turning someone in. In the US, this would probably be a local or state affair, so "witness protection" probably wouldn't enter the picture unless it is a high-end Federal investigation (depending on the quantities involved).

Good luck to your friend, hopefully she chooses her new associates a bit more carefully.

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
Thanks for the info, Kirk. I'd rather not give details about where this is taking place, but your info is pretty useful regardless of location. Thanks :)

btw, by "witness protection" I didn't mean relocation of anything like that, more like someone periodically checking her workplace or something along those lines, in case someone did indeed try to intimidate her, or worse.

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter
Well, I think if it came to a point that she was being harrassed (by any of them) she could get a restraining order. Now, whether it does much good, I don't know. But if she has one then her employer can keep a watch out and call the police if necessary.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
My first thought about this was to have her move to a relative's place, but if the problem isn't taken care of then they WILL find her.

The only other option is to rat them out. I don't know about the laws where she is, and maybe this isn't true, (because I've kept a clean life), but like on Law & Order, they don't arrest you for crimes not in their section, and if she is clean now, that might not matter anyway.

Glenn

Jason_Els

Screenwriter

Can't emphasize this strongly enough. Find a lawyer who specializes in drug cases and be sure the lawyer doesn't have the dealer for a client.

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
> I'd rather not give details about where this is taking place

You can't even name the country? Yet one of your options is to advise her to tell all?

Matt Stryker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt

This one is easy IF she in the US...having used drugs in the past is not a crime, possessing, growing, or selling them would be. If shes going to the cops, she should probably be willing to tell all, because just telling enough can get you into more trouble than if you just kept your mouth shut.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong. The only thing she might be in trouble with is "where he grows his stuff"...but again I'm no expert on South American justice, penalties may be different there.

My personal advice for her would be to cut all ties to this guy, SEVERELY, and start dating someone else. Being a key witness is probably not going to be all its cracked up to be, regardless of where she is.

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Her story to the cops would be enough to get a search warrant. After raiding the bf's house, they would not need testimony (there should be plenty of evidence!). Her boyfriend might never know who went to the cops (if the situation was handled correctly).

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
Matt, Greg, thanks for your thoughts.

I didn't advise her to do anything. She decided to go to the police on her own. No, I won't name the country. Let it go. I've thanked people for their advice, because it was indeed helpful, but I can't say more than that.

Can a moderator please close this?

Scott Tucker

Stunt Coordinator
I would tell her to lock the x out and don't say a word of this to anyone especially the cops. Right now she hasn't done anything wrong to the dealers, growers, etc., so they really don't have much reason to harm her.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks