-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

New Walmart BRAND of HDTV sets coming

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
39 replies to this topic

#1 of 40 ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson

Screenwriter

• 2,181 posts

Posted September 30 2004 - 06:54 AM

Walmart has stated that intends to produce its own label for a line of HDTVs in an effort to cut prices.
This article states that the sets may be ready for Black Friday, the day after Thanksgiving.

Some questions:
Who will actually be the manufacturer of these sets?
How will quality compare to the big brands?
Will Walmart start selling more OAR DVDs to maximize the picture on their widescreen sets?

#2 of 40 Rocky F

Rocky F

Second Unit

• 371 posts

Posted September 30 2004 - 07:09 AM

Interesting development. I can't answer any of your questions with any authority of course, but I would suspect that Sanyo would be the manufacturer. I don't know the details, but I believe that there is some sort of link between Sanyo and Walmart.
Rocky

#3 of 40 Vishwa Somayaji

Vishwa Somayaji

Stunt Coordinator

• 84 posts

Posted September 30 2004 - 08:46 AM

Or, it could be company like Konka

#4 of 40 John S

John S

Producer

• 5,460 posts

Posted September 30 2004 - 09:48 AM

Interesting.. Could I be proud of the Walmart Logo as a symbol of quality and reliability? If the price and pq was right, you betcha!!! lol

I wonder what sizes? That could mean a lot on what manufacture is making what models of theirs.

Almost worth an early trip to Walmart, on Black Friday just to sort of check em out.

#5 of 40 Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate

Screenwriter

• 2,933 posts

Posted September 30 2004 - 01:02 PM

The big picture here is making it available to the masses at a relatively cheap price will probably push the need for digital broadcasting to become more of a requirement.
Listen Up People.., Rack Em and Pack Em.., We're Phantoms in 15.

#6 of 40 Mike Boniferro

Mike Boniferro

Second Unit

• 273 posts

Posted September 30 2004 - 01:05 PM

This should be interesting...
I am guess it will be a manufacturer like Apex, KLH, Konka or one of those other 'brands' that typically come from one of the same factories...

#7 of 40 Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen

Producer

• 4,001 posts

Posted October 01 2004 - 07:09 AM

Today is October 1st, not APRIL 1st! Posted Image
Home video oddities, old commercials and other junk: http://www.youtube.com/user/eyeh8nbc

#8 of 40 Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm

Lead Actor

• 6,885 posts

Posted October 01 2004 - 12:41 PM

Sanyo? That's a Japanese company. I'd expect a real cheap Chinese company like APEX.
Philip Hamm
Moderator Emeritus

#9 of 40 Bill Will

Bill Will

Screenwriter

• 1,288 posts

Posted October 01 2004 - 02:46 PM

Phil, from what I was told Wal-Mart owns Sanyo USA or at least the controling intrest in it but I'm thinking along the lines of RPTV's from Apex Posted Image which Sanyo doesn't make.

#10 of 40 Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne

Screenwriter

• 2,406 posts

Posted October 02 2004 - 12:57 AM

Rumor has it that Walmart sometimes goes to long time suppliers with a proposal like this:

"We need x thousand TV sets with such and such specs (or so many cases of bottled pickles to use an actual example) to be delivered so many at a time (time schedule given) and we are willing to pay this much."

Wal Mart's existing anufacturers and suppliers have said they feel under pressure to take these massive orders for fear they may lose their biggest customer, Wal Mart. It was said that some manufactuers could not meet the quantities demanded and had to bow out.

I don't recall whether the pickle manufacturer named accepted the offer and/or put Wal Mart's label on the product. In the case of the TV's, Wal Mart may have included unique specs. such as how many S-video jacks in the rear or how many points of convergence (3x3 is very rudimentary, 10x10 is considered excellent) the service menu provided.

In an unrelated news story, there have been reports of factories (they did not mention TV makers) moving from Mexico to China to achieve lower costs of production.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.c...ynejr/video.htm

#11 of 40 Jimi C

Jimi C

Screenwriter

• 1,209 posts

Posted October 02 2004 - 08:20 AM

Walmarts house brand for electronics is Duraband.. im willing to bet that will be the name stamped on the televisions.
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/theend13/sabres.jpg[/IMG]

#12 of 40 JoshuaT

JoshuaT

Stunt Coordinator

• 61 posts

Posted October 02 2004 - 05:04 PM

Hmmm... an HD from Wal-Mart??? Socks and Toilet Paper from WM, but NO WAY my TV!!!!

#13 of 40 Robert Cowan

Robert Cowan

Supporting Actor

• 504 posts

Posted October 02 2004 - 05:09 PM

i think they will be the brand of the lowest bidder...

and, they will come in a 6-pack. it will be easier to just bundle pack them than control quality. Posted Image

#14 of 40 Eric F

Eric F

Screenwriter

• 1,810 posts

Posted October 03 2004 - 03:18 AM

There are already a few Sanyo HDTVs carried exclusively by Walmart.

#15 of 40 Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate

Screenwriter

• 2,933 posts

Posted October 03 2004 - 03:19 AM

Don't know kinda like the idea of doing all my shopping at Walmart. Meat and groceries, clothes, DVDs, DVD players and now a cheap RPTV. Depending on what side of the scale you're on, you can buy a t.v. everytime you do shopping. A DRPTV (Disposable Rear Projection T.V.)Posted Image
Listen Up People.., Rack Em and Pack Em.., We're Phantoms in 15.

#16 of 40 Mike Boniferro

Mike Boniferro

Second Unit

• 273 posts

Posted October 03 2004 - 08:26 AM

Durabrand is also a Chinese manufacturer, correct? I have heard rumours that all of these TVs are pretty much made in the same place, just with different casings... and you must admit, the PQ is VERY similar and the menu's are usually pretty close as well.

#17 of 40 Scott L

Scott L

Producer

• 4,466 posts

Posted October 03 2004 - 04:29 PM

Hey you know what? If this gets millions more people a cheap HDTV then cool. More people will be looking into getting Voom, or the HD offerings of DTV/Dish/Cable, expanding their programming. And how bout lowering costs on BR discs when they start to hit shelves? Posted Image

Right now Comcast doesn't even do HD in my area even though I'm 30 miles away from a major city. Whatever it takes to bring HD to the masses!

#18 of 40 Jimi C

Jimi C

Screenwriter

• 1,209 posts

Posted October 03 2004 - 04:53 PM

Quote:
Durabrand is also a Chinese manufacturer, correct?

Most of the goods walmart sells are imported from china, not just electronics, if they are not made in China there is no way they will be able to sell them at there low prices. Count on them being junk. Walmart accounted for 10% of all goods imported into the U.S. from China last year, over $12 billion.
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/theend13/sabres.jpg[/IMG]

#19 of 40 Richard Burzynski

Richard Burzynski

Second Unit

• 471 posts

Posted October 04 2004 - 03:48 AM

One issue with buying pricier ($500 and up) electronics from WalMart is that they do *not* offer optional extended warranties - I ask every time I'm in there. Can become an issue if you believe in them. I didn't used to, but nowadays TV's seem to crap out within five years (much more complex).

Personally, I wouldn't have an issue with a "WalMart" TV in my house as long as it was a good performer in its price category. But with lack of extended warranty option + knowing that company's notorious reputation for squeezing the life out of its suppliers, thre is no way I would buy one from them.

Rich B.

#20 of 40 John Alvarez

John Alvarez

Screenwriter

• 1,129 posts

Posted October 04 2004 - 08:04 AM

Quote:
Hmmm... an HD from Wal-Mart??? Socks and Toilet Paper from WM, but NO WAY my TV!!!!

Hell people are buying food at these places now why not HDTV?Posted Image

Forum Nav Content I Follow