What's new

DVD Pirate Movies (1 Viewer)

Bill Griffith

Supporting Actor
For some reason I've been in the mood for Pirate Movies.

I found Crimson Pirate out on DVD recently and I have the more recent Pirate movies, Pirate of the Carribean, Cutthroat Island.

I'm looking for an 80's Pirate movie called Nate and Hayes. I loved this movie and have been dying to see it again for ages. Tommy Lee Jones as a pirate, how can you pass that up. But its not on DVD, any place I can look to see when and if it will ever be scheduled for release.

Also there were a couple of older Pirate movies, along the same time frame as Crimson Pirate or later that I remember seeing as a kid but can't remember the name.

One in particular had a seen where this guy was thrown off the ship and is standing in the middle of the ocean on what seems to be a reef. I remember liking this movie but can't remember anything else about it.

There was also another pirate movie I rememebr seeing which had a title similar to Crimson Pirate (Red something , or something to do with the color red) and was probably made about the same time, but I can't remember the name of it to save my life. I think there was even someone Famous in that one as well but its been so long.

Anyone able to help me out?

Brandon:W

Stunt Coordinator
Most pirate movies come out of Asia, these days. You can usually tell by the Asian characters on the......what?....oh, that kind of pirate movie....Never mind. ;)

:laugh:

Brandon

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
If you want something a bit older, try The Black Pirate with Douglas Fairbanks in the title role.

This is a silent movie (1926) in color (2-strip Technicolor), but still very entertaining. Fairbanks set the standard for the swashbuckling hero.

Bradley-E

Screenwriter
SWASHBUCKLER (1976) with Robert Shaw, James Earl Jones, Peter Boyle. A Guilty Pleasure of mine from my childhood. DVD is decent. Anamorphic 2:35 with trailer and original 1976 featurette.

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
How many of these movies are rated "Aaarrgh"?

p.s. Don't forget Ice Pirates and Pirates of Penzance.

Greg_D_R

Stunt Coordinator

Love it! B-movie for sure, but great fun. Everyone I've shown it to has gotten a kick out of it.

Greg_D_R

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, Barrie Maxwell at the Bits has mentioned it a couple of times, and that "Titles believed to be included are Captain Blood, Dodge City, The Private Lives of Elizabeth and Essex, The Sea Hawk, and They Died with Their Boots On", but Warners seems to be in no hurry to put it out. Maybe when Pirates of the Caribbean 2 hits theaters they'll try for some coattail promotion...

Bill Griffith

Supporting Actor
Swashbuckler, That was it, don't know why I though about something red thinking of that movie. The famouse guy was James Earl Jones? Don't remember that but I knew there was someone famouse.

Any idea on the one with the guy standing in the middle of the ocean?

Ice Pirate was good but not worth owning in my opnion. Pirates of Penzance? Hmmm would have to view that one before spending any money on it.

And can't say that I've seen any silent movies I liked. Sorry just not my bag.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
You can't ignore Disney's "Treasure Island". Robert Newton's Long John Silver is so iconic that all of the pirates in my childhood imagination talked just like him. :)

Regards,

Kenneth

Supporting Actor
I was always partial to "Pirates of Tortuga" when I was a kid. I enjoyed the DVD also.

Kenneth

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
No love for the recently-announced-by-Anchor Bay cheesfest known as The Pirate Movie?

Or the hilariously misshapen Roman Polanski / Walter Matthau opus Pirates?

Does Cabin Boy count as a pirate movie?

;)

Gotta love the pirate sub-genre. Good for a few true classics and a whole lotta hilariously bad schlockfests.

Bill Griffith

Supporting Actor
Not a Pirate Movie Eithe But I really liked the original Horatio Hornblower Movie, can't seem to find that one on DVD at any local stores either.

I think The Pirate MOvie was the one that had the guy standing in the middle of the ocean. Not sure though, I'll just have to get it and find out.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Since Sarah has suggested a musical, I’ll include The Pirates of Penznace, a film version of the Gilbert and Sullivan operetta. It has Linda Ronstadt, Kevin Kline as the Pirate King and Angela Lansbury. George Rose is the very model of a modern Major General.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Are you thinking of the one with Gregory Peck as Hornblower? If so, I don’t think that it is on DVD at all.

Of course the recent TV renditions are on DVD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks