What's new

Tumult vs Titanic? (1 Viewer)

Jon W.

Stunt Coordinator
Was looking at the new adire amps and thinking hmmm, But the 15" Titanic kits are cheaper and seem like a close competitor in terms of specs. Heck the 2 woofs even use the same basket. Sure would like to do a side by side test. Your thoughts?

Chris Brock

Second Unit
Really, the Titanic is a very good driver and this is not to bash it by any means but if put side by side with a Tumult it would be put to shame. Those are really two different levels of performance. but the Titanic for the price is a heck of a deal for the performance you get from it IMO.

Kyle Richardson

Screenwriter
Ditto what Chris said. Just because they use the same 12 spoke basket doesnt mean they are similiar, in fact thats where their similarities end.:)

DanWiggins

Second Unit
The Titanic is more akin to the Tempest. Tumult is equal to about 3 Titanics or Tempests, in terms of real-world clean output...

Dan Wiggins
Adire Audio

dave alan

Second Unit
Ditto what Chris and Kyle and Dan said. Tumult is at the top of the heap...any heap.

Dan,

A question about the new amp, sealed L/T with the Tumult: Since, in this configuration, the amp will be the first to give out, is the amp available with a limiter, or is it already so equipped?

Dave

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Well, they say a picture is worth 1000 words! So here are a couple of pics of the Tumult sitting next to a Stryke AV15. No, it's not the same woofer as the Titanic 15, but from they are of similar size.

And I'm not knocking either driver. I've built subs with AV15's and I'm in the process of building a sub with dual Titanic 15's.

Anyway, here are the pics:

Bryan Michael

Supporting Actor
i like the look of the cone and suround of the av15 but the Tumult has some sweet output also the power you need to push the 2 subs is different. i have dual av15 in a huge box. i am going to be upgradeing soon to eather 4 av15 or 2 Tumult in a medum ported box.

Jon W.

Stunt Coordinator
Holy mother of God!
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif
I think I want a Tumult! :D

Rory Buszka

Supporting Actor
Whenever John gets up-and-running, you might be interested in his HE15. It will have most of the power and output of the tumult, but with the awesome-looking cone.

Greg Yeatts

Second Unit
I have a Tumult in a 178 liter enclosure tuned to ~19.5 hertz and a 1,000 watt plate amp. Everything together weighs about 235 lbs. The sides, top and bottom of the enclosure are 1.5" MDF and the front of the enclosure is 2.25" MDF. There are also 5 braces.

I thought I would hurt myself getting the cabinet from my workshop upstairs. You definitely don't want to load the Tumult and amp into a cabinet until it is on location.

The quantity and quality of output is definitely worth the time, effort and $$$.

DanWiggins

Second Unit
Dave,

No limiter in the circuit; we can add one if needed, but I don't think they will need one in most applications. By the time the limiter kicks in, you'll be at pretty stupid levels... (this type of Tumult-based system is actually installed in the demo room of Cello Technologies. They're a high end install company who specialized in $1M+ installs. Replaced a pair of HGS18s with sealed Tumults, gained more output, and flatter response to boot!).

Rory,

That remains to be seen...;) There really aren't any motors out there close to a Tumult motor. Not all Xmax numbers are equal! 33mm of XBL^2 motor stroke (where the BL is flat over 25mm one way) is a lot better than 33mm of overhung stroke... And then when you consider it's really 44mm one way, well, things get really difficult to equal or even approach.

Seth,

We ship Kyle's Tumults with extra special lead/depleted uranium baskets, just to up the weight another 40 pounds...:D

Greg,

Glad you like it! It's a pretty good driver. And there's even bigger and badder in store for next year!

Dan Wiggins
Adire Audio

Richard_M

Second Unit

Wow looks like my Tumult may have an early retirement; trouble is I don't think the structure of my house could handle much more :D then there's the wife who also controls the purse strings :frowning:

Great news Dan...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks