-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Tumult vs Titanic?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
38 replies to this topic

#1 of 39 Jon W.

Jon W.

Stunt Coordinator

• 121 posts

Posted September 29 2004 - 07:13 PM

Was looking at the new adire amps and thinking hmmm, But the 15" Titanic kits are cheaper and seem like a close competitor in terms of specs. Heck the 2 woofs even use the same basket. Sure would like to do a side by side test. Your thoughts?

#2 of 39 Chris Brock

Chris Brock

Second Unit

• 328 posts

Posted September 29 2004 - 11:31 PM

Really, the Titanic is a very good driver and this is not to bash it by any means but if put side by side with a Tumult it would be put to shame. Those are really two different levels of performance. but the Titanic for the price is a heck of a deal for the performance you get from it IMO.

#3 of 39 Kyle Richardson

Kyle Richardson

Screenwriter

• 1,076 posts

Posted September 30 2004 - 01:17 AM

Ditto what Chris said. Just because they use the same 12 spoke basket doesnt mean they are similiar, in fact thats where their similarities end.Posted Image
Kyle Richardson
Acoustic Visions

AOL Instant Messenger Name: kyler70
MSN IM: acousticvisions@hotmail.com

#4 of 39 DanWiggins

DanWiggins

Second Unit

• 325 posts

Posted September 30 2004 - 02:30 AM

The Titanic is more akin to the Tempest. Tumult is equal to about 3 Titanics or Tempests, in terms of real-world clean output...

Dan Wiggins
Adire Audio

#5 of 39 Allen Ross

Allen Ross

Supporting Actor

• 819 posts

Posted September 30 2004 - 06:04 AM

just look at the motor assembly and the power rating then think about what you said.
Member and Founder of the "Its Never to Big or too Loud to have in a Dorm Club"
Everyone in college should have a 9 cuft Tempest in their closest!

#6 of 39 dave alan

dave alan

Second Unit

• 256 posts

Posted September 30 2004 - 08:02 AM

Ditto what Chris and Kyle and Dan said. Tumult is at the top of the heap...any heap.

Dan,

A question about the new amp, sealed L/T with the Tumult: Since, in this configuration, the amp will be the first to give out, is the amp available with a limiter, or is it already so equipped?

Dave

#7 of 39 Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge

Producer

• 3,719 posts

Posted September 30 2004 - 09:35 AM

Well, they say a picture is worth 1000 words! So here are a couple of pics of the Tumult sitting next to a Stryke AV15. No, it's not the same woofer as the Titanic 15, but from they are of similar size.

And I'm not knocking either driver. I've built subs with AV15's and I'm in the process of building a sub with dual Titanic 15's.

Anyway, here are the pics:

Posted Image

Posted Image
Brian Bunge
RAD Home Theater

#8 of 39 Chris Keen

Chris Keen

Stunt Coordinator

• 117 posts

Posted September 30 2004 - 11:45 AM

Now THAT's an outfeed table. Nice pics Brian, thanks for sharing. Posted Image
Chris
Marantz sr8200
Onix Rocket 750,200,250 speakers
Panasonic rp82

#9 of 39 Bryan Michael

Bryan Michael

Supporting Actor

• 564 posts

Posted September 30 2004 - 02:38 PM

i like the look of the cone and suround of the av15 but the Tumult has some sweet output also the power you need to push the 2 subs is different. i have dual av15 in a huge box. i am going to be upgradeing soon to eather 4 av15 or 2 Tumult in a medum ported box.
there are olny 2 types of people in the world the irish and thoes who want to be irish

#10 of 39 Jon W.

Jon W.

Stunt Coordinator

• 121 posts

Posted September 30 2004 - 04:16 PM

Holy mother of God! Posted Image I think I want a Tumult! Posted Image

#11 of 39 Rory Buszka

Rory Buszka

Supporting Actor

• 784 posts

Posted October 01 2004 - 12:35 AM

Whenever John gets up-and-running, you might be interested in his HE15. It will have most of the power and output of the tumult, but with the awesome-looking cone.
"It sounds like it's barfing out the bass." - Zach

#12 of 39 Kyle Richardson

Kyle Richardson

Screenwriter

• 1,076 posts

Posted October 01 2004 - 01:48 AM

Every time I uncrate a Tumult I get a warm, fuzzy feeling deep inside.:b
Kyle Richardson
Acoustic Visions

#13 of 39 Seth_L

Seth_L

Screenwriter

• 1,553 posts

Posted October 01 2004 - 02:05 AM

Quote:
Every time I uncrate a Tumult I get a warm, fuzzy feeling deep inside. :b
That's the pending hernia you have coming from lifting them frequently. Posted Image

#14 of 39 Kyle Richardson

Kyle Richardson

Screenwriter

• 1,076 posts

Posted October 01 2004 - 03:55 AM

You arent kidding either.
Kyle Richardson
Acoustic Visions

#15 of 39 Greg Yeatts

Greg Yeatts

Second Unit

• 300 posts

Posted October 01 2004 - 05:55 AM

I have a Tumult in a 178 liter enclosure tuned to ~19.5 hertz and a 1,000 watt plate amp. Everything together weighs about 235 lbs. The sides, top and bottom of the enclosure are 1.5" MDF and the front of the enclosure is 2.25" MDF. There are also 5 braces.

I thought I would hurt myself getting the cabinet from my workshop upstairs. You definitely don't want to load the Tumult and amp into a cabinet until it is on location.

The quantity and quality of output is definitely worth the time, effort and $$$.

#16 of 39 DanWiggins

DanWiggins

Second Unit

• 325 posts

Posted October 01 2004 - 07:29 AM

Dave,

No limiter in the circuit; we can add one if needed, but I don't think they will need one in most applications. By the time the limiter kicks in, you'll be at pretty stupid levels... (this type of Tumult-based system is actually installed in the demo room of Cello Technologies. They're a high end install company who specialized in $1M+ installs. Replaced a pair of HGS18s with sealed Tumults, gained more output, and flatter response to boot!).

Rory,

That remains to be seen...Posted Image There really aren't any motors out there close to a Tumult motor. Not all Xmax numbers are equal! 33mm of XBL^2 motor stroke (where the BL is flat over 25mm one way) is a lot better than 33mm of overhung stroke... And then when you consider it's really 44mm one way, well, things get really difficult to equal or even approach.

Seth,

We ship Kyle's Tumults with extra special lead/depleted uranium baskets, just to up the weight another 40 pounds...Posted Image

Greg,

Glad you like it! It's a pretty good driver. And there's even bigger and badder in store for next year!

Dan Wiggins
Adire Audio

#17 of 39 David_P

David_P

Stunt Coordinator

• 149 posts

Posted October 01 2004 - 08:11 AM

Quote:
And there's even bigger and badder in store for next year!

now what that THAT mean?

David

#18 of 39 Richard_M

Richard_M

Second Unit

• 265 posts

Posted October 01 2004 - 09:07 AM

Quote:
And there's even bigger and badder in store for next year!

Wow looks like my Tumult may have an early retirement; trouble is I don't think the structure of my house could handle much more Posted Image then there's the wife who also controls the purse strings Posted Image

Great news Dan...
"The Quality is remembered long after the Price is forgotten"

#19 of 39 Kyle Richardson

Kyle Richardson

Screenwriter

• 1,076 posts

Posted October 01 2004 - 09:23 AM

Quote:
We ship Kyle's Tumults with extra special lead/depleted uranium baskets, just to up the weight another 40 pounds...
Hmm, and I thought it was just because I was getting older. Whew, good to hear its not just me!Posted Image

Quote:
Glad you like it! It's a pretty good driver. And there's even bigger and badder in store for next year!
"Pretty good" - Nice understated phrase. Yep, next year is going to be FUN!
Kyle Richardson
Acoustic Visions

#20 of 39 Seth_L

Seth_L

Screenwriter

• 1,553 posts

Posted October 02 2004 - 01:56 AM

Quote:
That remains to be seen... Posted Image There really aren't any motors out there close to a Tumult motor. Not all Xmax numbers are equal! 33mm of XBL^2 motor stroke (where the BL is flat over 25mm one way) is a lot better than 33mm of overhung stroke... And then when you consider it's really 44mm one way, well, things get really difficult to equal or even approach.

What about JL's new drivers used in their Gotham home subwoofer that have a claimed 4" peak to peak excursion?
Quote:
When demanded by program material, the Gotham’s amplifier can deliver 3800 watts of RMS power to take full advantage of the twin drivers’ four inches of peak-to-peak excursion capability. This ensures that the Gotham can breeze through material that makes other subwoofers go into clipping, limiting or distress.

Back to Members' Theaters, HT Projects, Remotes, Seating, Accessories & Lighting

Forum Nav Content I Follow