-

Photo
- - - - -

Creepy Commercial

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
48 replies to this topic

#1 of 49 OFFLINE   ScottR

ScottR

Screenwriter

• 2,650 posts

Posted September 29 2004 - 05:30 PM

The Burger King commercial where the guy in bed wakes up next to the Burger King, is nightmare inducing! Not only is the Burger King creepy with that big plastic face and smile, but the narrator has this really scary voice....I turn the channel as soon as it comes on....no commercial has freaked me out this much since the t.v. trailer for the drive-in horror bomb "The Children" where the bus full of singing kids passing the cemetery in the fog. Ok, I'm throroughly creeped out now.

#2 of 49 OFFLINE   Justin_S

Justin_S

Producer

• 3,573 posts

Posted September 29 2004 - 06:00 PM

Haha, I keep thinking the Burger King looks really creepy in that commercial myself. If I woke up with him next to me like that, I'd probably have a heart attack.

#3 of 49 OFFLINE   Antonio_B

Antonio_B

Stunt Coordinator

• 187 posts

Posted September 30 2004 - 12:05 AM

anyone have a link to this commercial?

#4 of 49 OFFLINE   Scott Leopold

Scott Leopold

Supporting Actor

• 712 posts

Posted September 30 2004 - 02:38 AM

My wife will either turn the channel or leave the room. She seriously had a nightmare over this the other night. That big plastic head really freaks her out.

#5 of 49 ONLINE   Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,604 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted September 30 2004 - 02:56 AM

Yeah, I don't understand what BK is aiming for with that ad. It's quite disturbing and certainly doesn't make me want to go to BK.

They changed ad agencies recently, again, and I think they've seriously gone downhill with the latest ad campaigns.
The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open mind.

#6 of 49 OFFLINE   JustinCleveland

JustinCleveland

Screenwriter

• 2,059 posts
  • LocationMadison, WI

Posted September 30 2004 - 03:23 AM

Between this and the Internet Chicken... they're obviously shooting for the serial killer demographic.

Or, well, the "Whopper Heads" groupies. The problem is, I really like BK.

#7 of 49 OFFLINE   Mark Sherman

Mark Sherman

Supporting Actor

• 783 posts

Posted September 30 2004 - 03:58 AM

Thank god I'm not the only one who gets the willies seeing that adPosted Image

The whopper head one are a joke as well.
Making the world a better Place one Plasma and LCD at a time

#8 of 49 OFFLINE   Mike Brogan

Mike Brogan

Second Unit

• 275 posts

Posted September 30 2004 - 04:08 AM

I think it's one of the funnier commericals out there...sure the Burger King is creepy, and I think that's what they're going for.
Quote:
They changed ad agencies recently, again, and I think they've seriously gone downhill with the latest ad campaigns.

I noticed that too, but I think they're actually funny now (I like the Whopperhead ones too). Hey, we're talking about them so they must have been somewhat successful. Not that any of that will get me to go into a BK anytime soon.
Now the real guy they used to have play the Burger King was the thing of nightmares.

#9 of 49 OFFLINE   Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood

Producer

• 3,215 posts

Posted September 30 2004 - 05:20 AM

I agree- it's creepy. The expression-fixed plastic face, plus all the connotations of waking up in bed with someone. It's like having the Joker or a corpse in your bed.

It's like some ad agency wanted to be clever or provocative, and completely ignored BK's customer base of families.

On the other hand, their Dr Angus ads are great. (Great burger, too.) Are they from a different agency?

If a team on The Apprentice made this ad, they'd be fired.

Have they even showed BK as a person before? If they had had a guy dressed like a king (with his real face) standing in the restaurant waving to people or taking their orders or the like, that would be much better.

What next- an ad with Ronald McDonald waking up in bed with a kid? Maybe with a Michael Jackson tune in the background?

#10 of 49 OFFLINE   ScottR

ScottR

Screenwriter

• 2,650 posts

Posted September 30 2004 - 07:14 AM

The King is creepy enough, but that narrator's voice just puts it over the top! "And meat, and egg, and cheese.".....yikes!

#11 of 49 OFFLINE   Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen

Producer

• 4,020 posts

Posted September 30 2004 - 07:18 AM

What- they brought back the Marvelous Magical Burger King??? He can do most anything!
Home video oddities, old commercials and other junk: http://www.youtube.com/user/eyeh8nbc

#12 of 49 ONLINE   Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,604 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted September 30 2004 - 07:42 AM

Have they even showed BK as a person before? If they had had a guy dressed like a king (with his real face) standing in the restaurant waving to people or taking their orders or the like, that would be much better.

Yep, years ago he used to be used quite a bit in the ads aimed at little kids (like Ronald McDonald for McD's). It was just a live actor dressed up like a King (no creepy fake head).
The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open mind.

#13 of 49 OFFLINE   Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood

Producer

• 3,215 posts

Posted September 30 2004 - 07:52 AM

I guess those ads weren't too memorable then. I clearly remember the McDonaldland ads from many years ago, but not the BK ones. Did the king have sidekicks?

#14 of 49 OFFLINE   Steve_Tk

Steve_Tk

Screenwriter

• 2,833 posts

Posted September 30 2004 - 07:56 AM

Glad I'm not the only one. The guy wakes up and just stares at "It", and It just stares right back.

Saw the preview to that movie Grudge back to back with the BK commercial, that was awful. Especially when it shows that little boy screaming but a cat meow comes out of his mouth.

#15 of 49 OFFLINE   Doug:Li

Doug:Li

Stunt Coordinator

• 67 posts

Posted September 30 2004 - 07:57 AM

I like these ads for being creepy.

ALtho im surprised they want to go this route for thier product.
I'd like to know how they decided on this campaign...heh.

#16 of 49 OFFLINE   Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen

Producer

• 4,020 posts

Posted September 30 2004 - 07:01 PM

The Burger King had a couple sidekick characters, one I think was a royal jester or something. I read that Geoffrey Guliano, who now writes books about music (he compiled those Beatles interview CDs on the Laserlight label) was the first person to appear both as the Burger King and as Ronald McDonald. He later became a vegetarian and now feels bad about having promoted meat to kids. Posted Image

Now everybody sing:
I'm the marvelous magical Burger King,
I can do most anything!
I make magic and burgers and fries,
And here's something new right before your eyes!
Home video oddities, old commercials and other junk: http://www.youtube.com/user/eyeh8nbc

#17 of 49 OFFLINE   Geraldine/F/M

Geraldine/F/M

Agent

• 31 posts

Posted October 03 2004 - 03:12 PM

Very scary. Kind of reminds me of my ex. Posted Image
Geri

#18 of 49 OFFLINE   Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner

Screenwriter

• 2,950 posts

Posted October 04 2004 - 04:13 AM

Ask and ye shall receive...

Wake Up with the King

#19 of 49 OFFLINE   Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood

Producer

• 3,215 posts

Posted October 04 2004 - 04:34 AM

Wake Up with the King - the new name of the Today Show after Larry King takes over.

#20 of 49 OFFLINE   Todd Terwilliger

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter

• 1,745 posts

Posted October 04 2004 - 05:17 AM

I hadn't seen that one - that's hilarious although I can see why it freaks people out - it's got that clown/doll vibe to it.
This message ends with Todd.

Hey kid you got no class. Hit the bums, kid. Run like the devil. Get a tin can and take up mooching. Knock on back doors for a nickel.
Tell them your story. Make 'em weep. You could have been a meat-eater, kid. But you didn't listen to me when I laid it down.
Stay off...