What's new

XM antenna vs. trees (1 Viewer)

LarryAlan

Auditioning
Hello all,

I'm new to this forum and I suspect this issue has come up at least once before. I have been using a Roady XM receiver in my Honda Pilot for about 6 months. On my way to and from work, I have to drive along several two lane heavily tree lined roads, and I constantly have the signal dropping out at what have become very predictable spots. I replaced the antenna, but it seems this is just a nuance of the satellite radio signal. Since I often need a good laugh in the morning, I find myself tuned in frequently to XM Comedy, only to have too many punch lines lost in the trees.

Are there any solutions for this, such as high end antennas? I guess a good chain saw would be the last resort.

LarryAlan

Find a new route to work? Look forward to a leaf-less winter? There really isn't anything you can do. I live in a hilly, wooded area and suffer the same type of dropouts. But given how much better satellite radio is over FM, it's a small price to pay.

Ralph B

Supporting Actor
ya but you think for the price you pay that a stinking leaf tree would not cut a signal out. a bride yes but a tree ?

technology needs to get better.

I have same problems and it bugs me.

Michael Young

Stunt Coordinator
I have had XM for a year + or so I believe, not quite sure on this.

Anyhow It seems that over the last 8 months, signal has been getting worse, constant disconnects even under the smallest tree's.

I used to be able togo under gas stations, parking decks etc. without signal drop, but not anymore.

LewB

Screenwriter
Same deal here. I have the XM antenna on my car roof and still have many drop-outs when passing near trees (most often when they are to my West, I'm in the North-East). There is one road here (Taconic Parkway) where the XM is all but useless.
I guess the morale is that any satellite system (DSS, XM, etc.) needs a clear line of sight to the satellite.

Bryan_O

Agent
In my home area (Delaware) I rarely have a problem w/signal. Even under over-passes, I rarely lose signal, and if I do it's only for a second. BUT recently I drove to Atlanta, and I found a different situation. I experienced signal loss around buildings, trees, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks