-

Photo
- - - - -

TruAudio Speakers...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 of 10 OFFLINE   StephenGencs

StephenGencs

Agent

• 33 posts

Posted September 29 2004 - 04:10 AM

I was just looking for some information from anyone who has had any experience with this brand...

Thanks...
Gencs
"I'm trapped in time and I don't know what to do"

#2 of 10 OFFLINE   Charlie C

Charlie C

Stunt Coordinator

• 237 posts

Posted September 29 2004 - 04:24 AM

Never heard of them, but I'd be wary of buying their stuff.

from the website about one of their subs:
Sensitivity: 113 db SPL @ 1meter

#3 of 10 OFFLINE   StephenGencs

StephenGencs

Agent

• 33 posts

Posted September 29 2004 - 04:42 AM

Charlie...
can you explain that in laymans terms for me...
thanks for the input...
Gencs
"I'm trapped in time and I don't know what to do"

#4 of 10 OFFLINE   Charlie C

Charlie C

Stunt Coordinator

• 237 posts

Posted September 29 2004 - 06:42 AM

Speaker manufacturers give a sensitivity rating to let you know generally how easy it is to drive the speaker. or how 'sensitive' it is.

I hope you know that if you double the wattage going into a speaker, the db's only increase by 3. go to a speaker manufactures site and look at its sensitivity. that is how loud it is using only 1 watt. now double the power, its now 2 watts but 3 db's higher. most sub drivers are in the mid to high 80's in their sensitivity rating. 113 is very very high. very very very high. Ive seen 15" drivers that sell for over $1000 that have a 97 db rating. think about it. lets take a 12" speaker at 97 db rating and the so-called 113db rating.

feed 1 watt to each speaker. the one playing at 97 db's would need 30 watts to get to 112 db's. you say its not much power, right, but not many speakers are rated 97 db's.

let me know if this makes sense. im not the most articulate person.

#5 of 10 OFFLINE   Dave Milne

Dave Milne

Supporting Actor

• 569 posts

Posted September 30 2004 - 06:53 AM

Ahh, yes, Charlie...

...but read the spec carefully. They didn't say 113dB at one watt (or 2.83V) at one meter. They just said "113dB SPL @ 1 meter" One can only assume that this is with full power (200 watts). 200 watts is 23 dB above one watt, so the actual "sensitivity" of the driver is 90dB, which is in the expected range.

But I completly agree with your words of caution. I've never heard of them and I've been the audio/electronics business for 20 years. Their website is flash and not much substance. No frequency response or even -3dB point. Phrases like, "Aluminum material which offers great high and lows". Pure bunk and incorrect spelling to boot. Oh, and my favorite: "D'Appolito driver design specifically for home theater". Joe D'Applolito developed a system design (not a driver design) well before home theater was even a common term. His approach requires an MTM layout with odd-order crossovers for controlled vertical polar response. TruAudio doesn't even mention the crossover.

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

#6 of 10 OFFLINE   Charlie C

Charlie C

Stunt Coordinator

• 237 posts

Posted September 30 2004 - 07:09 AM

Dave, I see what you mean. sneaky sneaky. Hey I even emailed their sales guy to find out more info about their subs and to double check the info. NO RESPONSE.

#7 of 10 OFFLINE   TruAudio User

TruAudio User

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted November 22 2011 - 02:17 PM

I have a local "home audio installer" that recommended these speakers for me. I spent about average for a high-end 7.1 system with an Onkyo receiver... All I can say is that it sounds great in my living room....I can crank it to "11" without a problem... I am about to create another home theater upstairs using Onkyo and Speaker Craft... I am not sure what subwoofer I will get but was looking for the TruAudio to see if I could buy one....can't find prices....this must be some kind of strange marketing idea to not sell in stores... Again....It sounds great in my room and I am pleased....but I agree the marketing of these products is strange.

#8 of 10 OFFLINE   martyge

martyge

Auditioning

• 3 posts

Posted January 01 2012 - 07:41 AM

I am a TruAudio Speaker Dealer - The Martin Group Audio Visual Solutions. Please email or give me a call and I will try to answer you questions. By the way, all TruAudio speakers come with a full lifetime warranty. I have been installing their speakers for years and have never had a single complaint from any of my customers. In fact, they have been extremely satisfied with both the value and sound quality of their systems (although each of their situations was dependent on many other system variables including AV receiver, signal processing, listening room environment, other system components, design objectives).

#9 of 10 OFFLINE   martyge

martyge

Auditioning

• 3 posts

Posted July 26 2012 - 05:42 AM

TO: BIGTEXAS 36 Please send me your email address as I am only allowed 2 personal response messages to you per day on this AV forum. my email is mg@themartingrp.com My phone contact number is: 248-505-3467 Thanks Marty

#10 of 10 OFFLINE   martyge

martyge

Auditioning

• 3 posts

Posted July 26 2012 - 05:43 AM

Please contact me via email at mg@themartingrp.com or phone at 248-505-3467. I will be glad to help you determine best route to go. Thanks Marty