Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Different Models of PS2?

PlayStation

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 OFFLINE   Matt_ES

Matt_ES

Agent

• 33 posts

Posted September 28 2004 - 01:35 PM

I'm seeing a PS2 going on Ebay every 3-5 minutes, it's incredible. All different prices, game combos, extras, all the BS. What I want to know is, were there various models of the basic unit itself over the years? Upgrades? Processor speeds? Anything I should know before I bid? At around a C-note a unit, I want to take one. Thanks!

#2 of 4 OFFLINE   Scott L

Scott L

Producer

• 4,466 posts

Posted September 28 2004 - 02:47 PM

I think the 5000 models display a progressive signal for DVD play. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

#3 of 4 OFFLINE   Ken Chui

Ken Chui

Supporting Actor

• 976 posts

Posted September 29 2004 - 05:41 AM

There are a few Region 1 PS2 models out there:
  • SCPH-30001
  • SCPH-30001R
  • SCPH-35001
  • SCPH-39001
  • SCPH-50001
  • SCPH-50010
The newer SCPH-5xxxx series has a built-in infrared port for the DVD remote, supports DVD movie progressive scan playback, supports DVD-/+ R/RW media, and the i-Link (IEEE 1394) port has been removed.

The different model numbers denote variations with the circuit board layout, inclusion of software bundles and/or accessories as part of the overall package.

From SCEA:

Unlike PCs, consoles (generally) do not receive upgrades such as bumps in processor speeds or additional memory, though the hardware may be revised if a feature is under-utilized or not at all (such as the removal of the i-Link (Firewire) port), but components/accessories/features may be added later in a console's life cycle to ensure continued interest among consumers, as well as preserve market share (such as those listed above for the 5xxxx series).

If bidding on eBay (or any online auction site), look for auctions with photos and/or fuller descriptions of the product. Boxes with the '+' sign on the corners are the newer 5xxxx series; try to look for these firstly, though there's nothing wrong with the older 3xxxx models (as I've owned one since launch and it works perfectly).

#4 of 4 OFFLINE   Paul Simmons

Paul Simmons

Stunt Coordinator

• 93 posts

Posted October 12 2004 - 06:25 PM

Perhaps everyone's trying to get rid of their current models for the sleeker SCPH-70001 PStwo

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: PlayStation

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users