Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Fleischer Superman DVD question

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
94 replies to this topic

#1 of 95 OFFLINE   Porfirio

Porfirio

Second Unit

• 256 posts

Posted September 28 2004 - 12:14 PM

Does anyone know if the The Complete Superman Cartoons - Diamond Anniversary Edition DVD, from Image Entertainment, feature the Snafuperman short?

#2 of 95 OFFLINE   Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph

Producer

• 4,042 posts

Posted September 28 2004 - 12:48 PM

It doesn't.
My Collection

#3 of 95 OFFLINE   JoSAN

JoSAN

Second Unit

• 433 posts

Posted September 28 2004 - 01:32 PM

#4 of 95 OFFLINE   Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner

Screenwriter

• 2,950 posts

Posted September 28 2004 - 01:51 PM

SNAFUPERMAN is available on Bokso Video's THE COMPLETE UNCENSORED PRIVATE SNAFU, sold at fine retailers everywhere (or at least on Amazon).

#5 of 95 OFFLINE   Porfirio

Porfirio

Second Unit

• 256 posts

Posted September 28 2004 - 02:39 PM

Thanks guys!

#6 of 95 ONLINE   Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek

Producer

• 3,646 posts

Posted September 29 2004 - 07:48 AM

I've got that Image disc, and it's terrific. I haven't looked at all the cartoons, but the first 5 or 6 have been from pristine 35mm elements.

My only complaint is the un-necesary addition of the original release date over the opening shot in the cartoon. It's very annoying, and mars an otherwise perfect transfer.

Bob Furmanek

www.3dfilmarchive.com

Bubbleweb_edited-1_zpsc986b444.jpg

#7 of 95 OFFLINE   JoSAN

JoSAN

Second Unit

• 433 posts

Posted September 29 2004 - 07:58 AM

#8 of 95 ONLINE   John Sparks

John Sparks

Supporting Actor

• 859 posts
  • LocationI.E.,So Cal

Posted September 29 2004 - 10:15 AM

Snafuperman is on the "Original Superman Cartoons" (originally on LD)by Bokso Cartoons..
...retired at last...and Ray Harryhausen at my side!!!

My equipment consists of:

Epson 9500 UB PJ(Avical ISFd); 110" JKP Affinity Screen; Panny BD30 Player; Tosh HDA1 Player; Definitive Speakers(center, towers, rear); Onkyo 608 A/V Receiver; Nevo Q50 Remote; TWC HD Cable Box; Panamax Line Conditioner.

#9 of 95 OFFLINE   Rodney

Rodney

Supporting Actor

• 537 posts

Posted September 29 2004 - 12:04 PM

Snafuperman is also available on Image's first Superman DVD, The Superman Cartoons of Max & Dave Fleischer.
-Rodney

#10 of 95 ONLINE   John Sparks

John Sparks

Supporting Actor

• 859 posts
  • LocationI.E.,So Cal

Posted September 30 2004 - 01:33 AM

Rodney,

You're right, I'm wrong! Posted Image
...retired at last...and Ray Harryhausen at my side!!!

My equipment consists of:

Epson 9500 UB PJ(Avical ISFd); 110" JKP Affinity Screen; Panny BD30 Player; Tosh HDA1 Player; Definitive Speakers(center, towers, rear); Onkyo 608 A/V Receiver; Nevo Q50 Remote; TWC HD Cable Box; Panamax Line Conditioner.

#11 of 95 OFFLINE   Jeff Jacobson

Jeff Jacobson

Screenwriter

• 2,116 posts

Posted September 30 2004 - 03:19 PM

My only complaint is the un-necesary addition of the original release date over the opening shot in the cartoon. It's very annoying, and mars an otherwise perfect transfer.
I forgot about that. Yes, I'd rather they'd placed this information on the menu instead of over the film itself. But it only lasts for a second or two.

Either that or use the DVD subpicture track that is used to put removeable subtitles on most DVDs.

#12 of 95 OFFLINE   Keith Paynter

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter

• 1,830 posts

Posted September 30 2004 - 03:29 PM

Aren't you forgetting about the 'Bosko' bug that pops up in the bottom RH corner? These are PD cartoons, and they're necessary to help curb pirates (It didn't help - the VHS volumes were pirated years ago).

Rhino had a VHS tape several years ago with some of them, but nowehere near as good as the Bosko set (in quality).

Quote:
Snafuperman is also available on Image's first Superman DVD, The Superman Cartoons of Max & Dave Fleischer.

...which was directly ported over from a LD master (which I still have). These were not actually complete - several opening and closing credits were altered or faded out prematurely. I don't know if the later Bosko version has them properly represented - the old VHS versions were supposed to be the best presentation anywhere.
I don't like SPAM!

#13 of 95 OFFLINE   Jim Harvey

Jim Harvey

Second Unit

• 315 posts

Posted December 26 2005 - 06:01 AM

Hey,

I'm currently trying to find these Fleischer cartoons on a reputable release, but have been unable to find the ones previously mentioned in this thread on any store. I have seen a DVD that looks like this (though may not be) in stores such as HMV and Wal-Mart, with somewhat of a big price tag, usually over 12 or 13 bucks.

http://www.amazon.co....v=glance&n=130

Also, I heard this was the worst one to pick up out of all the cheapo Fleischer Superman releases:

http://video.barnesa....09183998&pwb=1

Can anyone help me out on this particular matter? I understand WB restoring these threads and releasing them is very unlikely and...well...impossible, so I'm looking for a fine collection with good audio/video quality.

#14 of 95 OFFLINE   MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti

Producer

• 4,796 posts

Posted December 26 2005 - 06:25 AM

Jim, if you're looking for the Fleischer Superman cartoons THIS is the only one to consider.

Don't bother with the reviwes on Amazon. They are terrible when it comes to sorting them for multiple issues and often times the people are citing a release which is NOT the one listed that you're browsing. Despite some of the comments regarding enhanced audio tracks, this one features the original monaural sound with no added effects. It is complete and sorted chronologically and remastered to the best of the available public domain releases.

The only one worth picking up.

#15 of 95 OFFLINE   Jeffrey Nelson

Jeffrey Nelson

Screenwriter

• 1,066 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted December 26 2005 - 08:01 AM

Quote:
Aren't you forgetting about the 'Bosko' bug that pops up in the bottom RH corner? These are PD cartoons, and they're necessary to help curb pirates (It didn't help - the VHS volumes were pirated years ago).

I didn't notice a Bosko bug on my DVD.

As good as these films look in the Bosko version, they could still look a lot better if restored and remastered from original negatives, if they still exist...these transfers are extremely long in the tooth. Who might own such material on these classics?

#16 of 95 OFFLINE   MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti

Producer

• 4,796 posts

Posted December 26 2005 - 08:21 AM

Quote:
Who might own such material on these classics?

Warner Bros.

#17 of 95 OFFLINE   Jim Harvey

Jim Harvey

Second Unit

• 315 posts

Posted December 26 2005 - 08:25 AM

I noticed that the Superman release from Platinum Entertainment DVD has a corner logo and apparently the Bosko version does as well. Do all of them have the corner bug/logo?

#18 of 95 OFFLINE   MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti

Producer

• 4,796 posts

Posted December 26 2005 - 11:24 AM

I don't think there's any watermark on the Winstar release, apart from the insertion of the theatrical release date into the title card at the start of each short. It's been a while since I've watched the disc, but I'm almost certain.

The Bosko and Snafu DVD's do feature a logo however, but it only lasts on screen for a quick second or so and than dissapears. Much like the Rocky & Bullwinkle sets. It isn't too intrusive, considering the remasterings that went into these public domain films. I'm perfectly content with them until something better comes along, which really isn't likely. I think the Bosko Snafu disc is terrific, with my only criticisms being the windowboxing applied which was not necessary. Otherwise, a worthy purchase if you can still track it down!

#19 of 95 OFFLINE   Charlie O.

Charlie O.

Supporting Actor

• 509 posts

Posted December 26 2005 - 12:03 PM

I have the 1st Image DVD which is pretty much a port of the Image laser disc. Is the 2nd Image DVD, "Diamond Anniversary Edition" worth double dipping on? Does it have a new transfer or anything?

#20 of 95 OFFLINE   MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti

Producer

• 4,796 posts

Posted December 26 2005 - 12:10 PM

As I said, the Diamond Anniversary set offers the complete filmography of the Fleischer/Famous shorts from the very first 'Superman' in 1931 to 1943's 'Secret Agent', all in chronological order. They are remastered to the best of my knowledge from available p.d. elements. I assume they were sourced from 16mm prints. Unlike other collections available, there are no "added effects" on the soundtrack. The quality is very good compared to the other products on the market. It is the version own.

Forum Nav Content I Follow