What's new

Fleischer Superman DVD question (1 Viewer)

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
SNAFUPERMAN is available on Bokso Video's THE COMPLETE UNCENSORED PRIVATE SNAFU, sold at fine retailers everywhere (or at least on Amazon).

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
I've got that Image disc, and it's terrific. I haven't looked at all the cartoons, but the first 5 or 6 have been from pristine 35mm elements.

My only complaint is the un-necesary addition of the original release date over the opening shot in the cartoon. It's very annoying, and mars an otherwise perfect transfer.

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Snafuperman is also available on Image's first Superman DVD, The Superman Cartoons of Max & Dave Fleischer.

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter

...which was directly ported over from a LD master (which I still have). These were not actually complete - several opening and closing credits were altered or faded out prematurely. I don't know if the later Bosko version has them properly represented - the old VHS versions were supposed to be the best presentation anywhere.

Jim Harvey

Second Unit
Hey,

I'm currently trying to find these Fleischer cartoons on a reputable release, but have been unable to find the ones previously mentioned in this thread on any store. I have seen a DVD that looks like this (though may not be) in stores such as HMV and Wal-Mart, with somewhat of a big price tag, usually over 12 or 13 bucks.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...v=glance&n=130

Also, I heard this was the worst one to pick up out of all the cheapo Fleischer Superman releases:

http://video.barnesandnoble.com/sear...09183998&pwb=1

Can anyone help me out on this particular matter? I understand WB restoring these threads and releasing them is very unlikely and...well...impossible, so I'm looking for a fine collection with good audio/video quality.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Jim, if you're looking for the Fleischer Superman cartoons THIS is the only one to consider.

Don't bother with the reviwes on Amazon. They are terrible when it comes to sorting them for multiple issues and often times the people are citing a release which is NOT the one listed that you're browsing. Despite some of the comments regarding enhanced audio tracks, this one features the original monaural sound with no added effects. It is complete and sorted chronologically and remastered to the best of the available public domain releases.

The only one worth picking up.

Jeffrey Nelson

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeffrey Nelson

I didn't notice a Bosko bug on my DVD.

As good as these films look in the Bosko version, they could still look a lot better if restored and remastered from original negatives, if they still exist...these transfers are extremely long in the tooth. Who might own such material on these classics?

Jim Harvey

Second Unit
I noticed that the Superman release from Platinum Entertainment DVD has a corner logo and apparently the Bosko version does as well. Do all of them have the corner bug/logo?

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
I don't think there's any watermark on the Winstar release, apart from the insertion of the theatrical release date into the title card at the start of each short. It's been a while since I've watched the disc, but I'm almost certain.

The Bosko and Snafu DVD's do feature a logo however, but it only lasts on screen for a quick second or so and than dissapears. Much like the Rocky & Bullwinkle sets. It isn't too intrusive, considering the remasterings that went into these public domain films. I'm perfectly content with them until something better comes along, which really isn't likely. I think the Bosko Snafu disc is terrific, with my only criticisms being the windowboxing applied which was not necessary. Otherwise, a worthy purchase if you can still track it down!

Charlie O.

Supporting Actor
I have the 1st Image DVD which is pretty much a port of the Image laser disc. Is the 2nd Image DVD, "Diamond Anniversary Edition" worth double dipping on? Does it have a new transfer or anything?

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
As I said, the Diamond Anniversary set offers the complete filmography of the Fleischer/Famous shorts from the very first 'Superman' in 1931 to 1943's 'Secret Agent', all in chronological order. They are remastered to the best of my knowledge from available p.d. elements. I assume they were sourced from 16mm prints. Unlike other collections available, there are no "added effects" on the soundtrack. The quality is very good compared to the other products on the market. It is the version own.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks