What's new

Infinity Reference 6 Floor Speakers (1 Viewer)

mikePay

Grip
Does any have or have owned these classics? I just need some feedback on the sound quality if they are great for music or movies. I found a pair on a local classifieds for $290, originally they were around $1200. I tried to look on the web and the search here, but I did not find anything. The owner mentioned they are pretty rare and the current condition is pretty minty.

I'm thinking of buying these, but I just need a second opinion.

Thanks in Advance,

Mike

Brett Frank

Auditioning
I think there were two different models called Reference 6.

The first has from around 1982 and had clear polyprop cones actually called the RS-6 which stood for Reference Series 6.

The second was from around 1991 and had black polyprop cones it was called the Reference 6.

Niether sold for the price you mentioned though.

The RS-6 (clear cones) had a retail of $1000pr
The Reference 6 (black cones) had a retail of $500pr

It sounds like you are looking at RS-6's. These had foam surrounds so you should plan of replacing them or check to see if they have been and if the job is well done.

Hope this helps

Brett Frank

Auditioning
I just rememebered there was also a RS 6b which was an update of the RS 6. These were in made ~1986 and were sold for $1200.

If this is what you are looking at they have real veneer boxes with verticle wood tambors each side of the baffle (like a roll top desk).

These are great speakers!

Brett Frank

Auditioning
oellerer.net/infinity_classics/

has great old infinity info

They have the RS6 there but not the Reference 6.

The Ref 6 is a tower with 10wfr, 6.5 midbass, 5 mid and emit. IIRC it has a vinyl box

mikePay

Grip
Brett,

"The Ref 6 is a tower with 10wfr, 6.5 midbass, 5 mid and emit. IIRC it has a vinyl box"

I believe these are the ones that you mentioned above.

Thanks,

Mike

I owned a pair of these for several years, if they fit into your decor I think you will be happy with them for under $300. They really require a lot of power to bring out their potential and do have the tendancy to be a bit on the bright side which might cause some fatigue. The plus though is for 300 bucks your are getting an all around good performer and the emit-r can really sing. I wouldn't pay retail on infinity as I feel there are much better values out there but used - take a listen.

donaldb1

Auditioning
Real Name
Don
I have a set of Infinity series six floor standing speakers and the Series One bookshelf speakers for sale. They are in excellent condition and would have to be picked up in NH.

If you're interested email us at [email protected]

Thanks,
Don

Boss-429 Mustang

Auditioning
Real Name
Chuck Moll
I recently bought a pr. of "infinity reference speaker studio monitor100's"& are a Great Spkr.!
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif
BUT; this ex-Air Force gentleman-( Former A.F. myself)-offered me then a HUGE deal on a Pr. of Infinity Referance #6 Towers @$100 even!.

I am NOT Sure of the "Speaker Specs. for the latter tower spkrs", Anyone out there Know anything about these type/style tower Infinity's"??Like Freq. response and/or Nominal watt requirements to drive them & power handling capability?
I plan to ' Mate them to the aforementioned Infinity 100 studio Monitors & my Vandersteen 2-CE's'-should think this should make for a Both solid Bass range & Near perfect/crisp Highs too?...
I Believe these "Studio Monitor 100's sound Better than the-(DCM Time-Frame TF-600's)"& that the"Reference series"6" towers sound AS Good IF not slightly better than the Vandersteen 2-CE series towers-But the latter one is a Close Heat per-say"!...
The Vandy's are a very good high end spkr. Too & Great sound reproduction even at 200 Watts+ & No Distortion Nor weakening of the Voice coils or bass reproduction.BUT- the Infinity Reference Series "6" Towers-Have that"Emit-Ribbon Tweeter" & they have Extremely Great "Very High End Freq. response & do achieve Higher-( highs) than even the Vandersteen's do a higher wattage outputs"!!...

If anyone out there knows anything w/regards to these "Ref.6 Towers", I'd greatly appreciate it too!.

Also-given the "Spkrs that I am using"-( with a Two-Center Channel set up of One Polk Audio Center & One DCM-TimeFrame Center-My receiver handles 2-center channel Spkrs-so I can have One in Front&One in the rear,which seems to make for Good quality Surround sound for Both"Movies & basic music listening"..
But- I am ' Un-Sure' as to How to adjust their "Placement" to optimize their sound quality & performance?.. Anyone w/experience out there w/placement of a surround sound system & how to optimize your spkrs & their sound in a Living room & achieve the Best sound reproduction quality & best overall sound via their placements?.. Thanx guys!..
Greatly appreciate.
I think I managed a somewhat- " Killer deal" on the overall system & spkrs- as I've heard the "Ref-6 Towers can go for Upwards of $1K even too"..
Take care & Happy Holidays!.
:cool: :cool:

oldtubesoundguy

Auditioning
Real Name
Glenn Williams
I have had a set of the reference 6 towers for about 6 years. Yes, they are power hungry devils but by exchanging the 10" woofer for a more efficient driver and refoaming the mid-bass and mid-range ( somewhat more efficient than the woofe)r, I can drive them to nearly ear bleed levels with my restored Dynaco St-70 and PAS-2 preamp. They are a little bright as John Bourne pointed out but a wee cut in the treble pot eases that. If you can pick up a pair for under $300 that is in good shape, it's money well spent. Simply Speakers in Fl. can refoam for a reasonable sum and do an excellent job.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks