What's new

Best PQ Through Component DVD for Under $1,000? (1 Viewer)

Greg Labate

Stunt Coordinator
What's the best PQ through component on a DVD player under $1,000? I'm now using my DVI input for my satellite HDTV. So it's back to component DVd for me.

Any recommendations? I've heard good things about high end Denon, Pioneer, Panasonic.

EricRWem

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adrik
Pioneer 59avi, Denon 2900, Panasonic RP-82 and s97 (forthcoming, might want to watch out for this one), the Panny XP/RP lines are out of production but can be had on Ebay and are all highly praised for their PQ.

Might even want to give Marantz a look over...

Greg Labate

Stunt Coordinator
I have the 2003 Toshiba 51Hx83.

For this TV, which do you recommend? I'm looking at the Zenith DV318 ($200), the Pioneer DV-59avi ($1,000), and the Denon 2900 ($700). Big price difference obviously.

Also, no interest in using it for anything but DVd movies, so SACD, etc. is not important.

EricRWem

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adrik
Zenith does a nice upconverting, but if your TV is not HD and all you care about is the best 480 pro scan picture, I'd go for the Pioneer first, Denon 2900 second.

Even at that, a lot of people would tell you, upconverting or not, The Pioneer and then the Denon are awfully damned hard to beat. If you have the money, I'd throw the bomb on one of these players myself.

If you get the Zenith, it's a cheap gamble, relatively speaking, if you buy from Amazon, who has a great return policy. I'd strongly recommend to you that you try the Zenith by both component and DVI. I'd give it priority over the satellite box. Same goes for the Pioneer, which I think has DVI. Seriously. The sat box can always go component and you're not losing a thing anyways.

Greg Labate

Stunt Coordinator
My Toshiba is HDTV. I may just opt to but a DVI switch ($200) and get the Denon 2910 when it comes out...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks