Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

speaker suggestions from the forum pros

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 Shawn_D

Shawn_D

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted September 27 2004 - 03:28 PM

Okay...I have noticed I don't hear Bose mentioned a lot in this HOME THEATER forum except in a bad way. I am looking for something similar to the Acoustimass 10 bose system (price/size/etc.) but would like someone to save me from falling into the Bose Tractor Beam and from buying them.

* Looking for 5.1 surround speakers and sub.
* I have a budget of $1000.
* I like the size and look of the Bose speakers and that they can be wall mounted.
* Please offer any suggestions with Brand and Model numbers....I am buying my first system and want to make it last...all i ever hear about it BOSE but know there is more out there.

ALSO.....anyone know a good receiver that would go with these? $200 - $300 dollar budget?

Thank you for any help.
Shawn

#2 of 5 LanceJ

LanceJ

Producer

• 3,168 posts

Posted September 27 2004 - 04:24 PM

Just to get you started--there are lots of good choices out there:

Boston Acoustics 5.1 packages

Athena's funky little system

Cambridge SoundWorks MovieWorks II 5.1 system
(don't worry about the type of tweeter this uses because well-designed cone tweeters can sound very good).

Any major-brand 5.1 receiver (Pioneer, Onkyo, etc) in the $200-$300 range should be able to power these systems with no problems.

#3 of 5 Sean D

Sean D

Stunt Coordinator

• 182 posts

Posted September 27 2004 - 05:22 PM

Shawn,
Have you may want to consider the package fromRocket Tykes from AV123 as well. I have not heard them but from what I have read about them they seem to be a great bang for your buck setup.
The guys at AV123 also have a some receiver options as well.

#4 of 5 Jon W.

Jon W.

Stunt Coordinator

• 121 posts

Posted September 27 2004 - 05:22 PM

Let me tell you the one single reason not to buy the Bose. Try to find the frequency response for them. I get Crutchfield catalogs alot and just about every speaker they sell has the frequency response listed except Bose. Not one Bose speaker has the frequency response listed. I went to the Bose website, couldn't find it. I assume its because the speakers don't cover a whole frequency bandwidth without having a few gaps.

#5 of 5 Nhan_H

Nhan_H

Second Unit

• 431 posts

Posted September 28 2004 - 12:41 AM

Shawn,

If you followed the Blose posts from AVS, do a search on Sethwas or SethW. His signature line contains a link to his compilation of all bose alternatives. If you do a search for my name in this forum, I've already provided my own list.