What's new

video signal problems...help, please! (1 Viewer)

Franklin

Agent
hey all,

my family got my dad a very basic sony home theater in box. we have a few gaming systems and a DVD player hooked up through the receiver for him and for the most part it works fine. however, i noticed that when i switch between, say, two different gaming systems, or if there is a sudden white flash on screen, the video signal becomes momentarily distorted. this hasn't been too much of a problem until we watched SW: A New Hope last night where there is alot of flash frames causing the video to jump excessively. all the connections seem secure, so i'm not quite sure what could be causing this. we have an older zenith TV dated from around 1990, but it has never exhibited this problem before hooking up the home theater.

any thoughts? thanks!

Gary SI

Stunt Coordinator
What you could try is a direct video connection to the tv and see if that clears up the problem.
If it does then , it would be best to connect your dvd player directly to the tv ( if you have the connections on the tv )
90 Zenith , it must have at least two (S + composite ).
If so leave the dvd player hooked up to the S connection, and every thing else to the composite.
I hope this helps !
Gary ;)

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
There could be an irregularity in the video signal that your TV can't handle now, DVD players are more likely to do this than broadcasts, also a TV that is aging could be more sensitive to video signal irregularities.

One long shot -- Does your DVD player have an "enhanced black" choice? I am guessing that "non-enhanced black" would be better for this TV. "Enhanced black" uses for the program material black/gray/white scale video signal voltages that are not intended to be used that way according to S-video and composite video standards. This may interfere with the sync. circuits of some TV sets.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Franklin

Agent
thanks for the replies, folks! i have already hooked the dvd player directly to the TV and alas the problem persists. however, i don't use this TV set much since i have moved out, and i asked around the house if this problem persists elswhere. my sis's boyfriend tells me he has seen this problem even while watching braodcast television. i fear it is time to put this old set to rest...:frowning:

again, thanks for the input all!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks