What's new

Why does Best Buy want my phone number? (1 Viewer)

Joe S

Second Unit
I didn't think much of it, but they ask for your phone number when you checkout. Doesn't matter if you pay by credit card or use cash.

I had toyed with the idea of giving them a different number each time I made a purchase there.

Last time I shopped there, it annoyed me....so I guess that's why I picked up the Star Wars Trilogy at Circuit City this morning.

I don't like the idea of them having my phone number-what do they intend to do with it? Anyone here that works there and can provide a good reason for them doing this.

JamesED

Second Unit
The local Best Buy here never asks that, I always pay with a debit card. It is handy because all my purchases are easily tracked for returns or getting added to RWZ if they don't show up later on my account.

My uncles response for questions like for your name, address or phone number is always "cash." A little rude but makes a clear point.

JustinCleveland

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Justin Cleveland
I do not give out any information when I'm checking out. They ask my zip code, phone number, anything, I tell them to take a flying leap (politely of course). The only reason I can think of is related to the Reward Zone program, since your number is tied to your account.

But, like Buzz said, say no. If they give you hassle, either walk out or ask for a manager.

LewB

Screenwriter
My guess is that it gives them 'free information' on who's shopping at that store. Beats paying a company to take a surevy, huh? Just like those surveys they ask you to take by calling an 800 number that's on the receipt. 'You have a chance to win $500', I think I have a better chance at getting hit by lightening.

I try not to give these S.O.B.s anything for free, when was the last time BB or CC gave you something free, with no strings attached ?

Pamela

Supporting Actor
About 6 months ago, I was making a purchase at Best Buy and the cashier asked for my phone number. That was a first. I asked why and she said I couldn't use my ATM card without it. Bullcrap. I told her it was unlisted and I wouldn't give it out (other establishments that ask for my number honor this). She told me I couldn't use my card, then. I told her I didn't want to buy the merchandise and walked out. I stayed away for months, but finally went back. Used my ATM and they didn't ask for my number. I have no idea what's up with that.

I don't mind giving my zip code. That just allows them to track where their customers are coming from. But I won't give out my phone number.

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
867-5309

How long have they been doing this? I've never been asked for my number there.

How about Radio Shack, who wants your full address, even if you are buying $1 worth of batteries?

shaniceMW

Stunt Coordinator
they want your phone number and zip code to see where the people are coming from that shop at their stores. they take that information for advertising purposes and when they send coupons, etc in the mail, they will send it to those areas for the most part. those people get the 20% off coupons and such. other people from other target areas get promotional advertisement as well, but not the same kind. they also get your phone number because they can look up your address and sell the information to third parties who do pretty much the same thing. say you go to best buy to buy a big screen tv. most people who buy big screen tv's own homes. well they sell that information to a home improvement service or something like that who thinks that if you are purchasing a big screen tv then you must plan to stay in your home for a while. since you will not be moving out, maybe you would like to make some improvements...

SteveBro

Agent

This is COMPLETELY false. The information is gathered for Best Buy internal purposes only. Asking for phone numbers is related to studying consumer purchase patterns and behaviors for Best Buy's customer centricity initiative.

Kenneth Harden

Screenwriter
Marketing and demographics.

Everytime you use a card, that store is using info for their own uses.

Wal*Mart, Taget, etc. all do this.

brentl

Senior HTF Member
" is related to studying consumer purchase patters "

are you sure it's not customer Pitter patters?

:D

B

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron
BR-549
The phone number for Junior Samples' home shopping channel on TV's "Hee-Haw?" It was also used as sector coordinates in the movie "Heavy metal 2000."

I credit Google and http://www.mutantreviewers.com for the answer. Now how will I receive my 10 points? :)

The only time I leave my phone number is when I'm NOT paying in cash. But I always ask WHY they need my phone number. It's always fun to hear the answer from the mindless sales clerk. :)

Joe S

Second Unit
Thanks for the enlightenment... think I'll devise a phony number to give them from now on.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation822
Recent bookmarks