Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
DVD Reviews

HTF REVIEW: Friday the 13th: From Crystal Lake to Manhattan

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
183 replies to this topic

#1 of 184 OFFLINE   Michael Elliott

Michael Elliott

Lead Actor

• 7,241 posts
  • LocationKY

Posted September 25 2004 - 02:11 AM

#2 of 184 OFFLINE   Mike~Sileck

Mike~Sileck

Supporting Actor

• 510 posts

Posted September 25 2004 - 02:36 AM

I'm anxiously awaiting Oct. 5th and am very excited for this set. Thanks for the awesome review and I'm glad you enjoyed the set. Just from my own two cents, I'd like to say that I am much more excited about this set than I was for the Star Wars set. Both of these sets were unveiled to the public awhile ago, and while this set had a very long and extensive forum thread discussing it, it never got to the point where it was downright ugly. Sure there are some things missing here, but no one ever took away the fun from these films. I'm sure there are a few out there who won't buy this set, but many of us fans are going to, and we are going to enjoy them a great deal. SW however, had many many threads bashing this set even before it was released, and it never was about things like extras, but the bashing of the films themselves. Personally I think those threads too a lot of fun out of the films, at least for me. I bought SW and will buy Ft13th, but I'm just glad that horror fans can be obsessive about something and debate over it, but never lose sight of the fact that they are obsessive over a movie series they LOVE, and make that debate turn into one that will beat the enjoyment out of the films themselves. Three cheers for horror fans, we're the best! Mike
Playstation Network:
CarpeD1em500

#3 of 184 OFFLINE   Eric Emma

Eric Emma

Supporting Actor

• 508 posts

Posted September 25 2004 - 02:54 AM

Great review, I'll be picking this set up Posted Image

#4 of 184 OFFLINE   Jesse Blough

Jesse Blough

Second Unit

• 251 posts

Posted September 25 2004 - 03:01 AM

Wow, nice long review. Your poor fingers. I'm getting this cause I've never owned the series in any format, ever. Also glad to hear part 1 is the actual theatrical version. Also, I'm not going to wait for this "third set" because with Paramount, you never know. It'll probably be cut as well.

#5 of 184 OFFLINE   WillG

WillG

Producer

• 5,237 posts

Posted September 25 2004 - 03:31 AM

Nice review. Although, it is not the "Ultimate" set that fans have been waiting for. It seems that there is enough here to hold me over until these films are inevitably revisited again. And since I only bought the stand alone release of Part 3 so I could finally see it in Widescreen, it becomes an open and shut case. I do have to respectively disagree with you giving a higher rating to part 5 than Part 3. I never understood why fans saw that entry as so weak. I'm in a hurry so more on that later.....
STOP HIM! He's supposed to die!

#6 of 184 OFFLINE   Jesse Blough

Jesse Blough

Second Unit

• 251 posts

Posted September 25 2004 - 04:37 AM

"do have to respectively disagree with you giving a higher rating to part 5 than Part 3. I never understood why fans saw that entry as so weak."

I think because most people saw Part 3 as way too goofy for it's own good. Check out that yo-yo! Posted Image

Although I did like
the first appearence of the hockey mask and the harpoon in the eye! One of my favorite deaths of the entire series.

#7 of 184 OFFLINE   JeffMc

JeffMc

Supporting Actor

• 529 posts
  • LocationAntarctica

Posted September 25 2004 - 05:03 AM

Thanks for the review, Michael. Curious about the trailer for PART 8 (not part 7 as you indicated above). Does the trailer still have the "New York, New York" instrumental music in the background? Considering how cheap Paramount is, I'm guessing they wiped that clean to avoid clearing the music rights just like the Alice Cooper situation. If so, too bad, because the music is what made that teaser-trailer work so well. If it's just a panning shot of Manhattan now without "NY,NY" playing in the background, the whole punchline of the trailer would be ruined. Tell me it ain't so!

#8 of 184 OFFLINE   Bernard E.

Bernard E.

Extra

• 18 posts

Posted September 25 2004 - 05:26 AM

Thanks for the review! Im really waiting for this pack. Could you confirm the spanish subtitles in all movies? Thanks

#9 of 184 OFFLINE   Michael Elliott

Michael Elliott

Lead Actor

• 7,241 posts
  • LocationKY

Posted September 25 2004 - 06:05 AM

Jeff---The NY, NY music is still there. From what I gathered, Paramount has NO control over the Alice Cooper song so they could have paid $10 million and still might not have been able to get it. Bernard---The Spanish subs are on all eight films. I'm going to expand the V/A section soon but I'm working 10-14 hours a day, 7 days a week plus trying to move. I'm going to be without the internet for the next few days and wanted to get the review up before then in case I'm not back by next weekend.

#10 of 184 OFFLINE   WillG

WillG

Producer

• 5,237 posts

Posted September 25 2004 - 06:53 AM

Of course, this is the entry where Jason gets his hockey mask and it looked great in that film. I also think it was kind of cool that Part 3 was the only film where Jason vocalizes, you hear some cool sounding grunts of pain when Chris injures him. And one more thing, it was the only film of the series that was filmed in Widescreen, which was neat as well.
STOP HIM! He's supposed to die!

#11 of 184 OFFLINE   Matthew Chmiel

Matthew Chmiel

Screenwriter

• 2,284 posts

Posted September 25 2004 - 06:57 AM

Fantastic review sir. It makes me feel all better inside that I pre-ordered this title from Blockbuster via a pricing mistake ($29.00). I cannot wait to get my hands on this set.

#12 of 184 OFFLINE   Bernard E.

Bernard E.

Extra

• 18 posts

Posted September 25 2004 - 07:31 AM

Thank you, the subtitles are important for me.

#13 of 184 OFFLINE   Rich Romero

Rich Romero

Supporting Actor

• 731 posts

Posted September 25 2004 - 07:39 AM

I'm buying it, that's for sure.
My DVD's "There's no love in fear." - Maynard James Keenan

#14 of 184 OFFLINE   JeffMc

JeffMc

Supporting Actor

• 529 posts
  • LocationAntarctica

Posted September 25 2004 - 08:29 AM

Excellent. That's definitely a plus for this set. Thanks.

#15 of 184 OFFLINE   JonZ

JonZ

Lead Actor

• 7,794 posts

Posted September 25 2004 - 08:50 AM

"I understand fans are upset over the fact that the big guy is missing but c’mon, this film offers more nudity..."

The topless girl who was murdered on the blanket in the woods is Debbie Voorhees.Funny she should end up in a Friday The 13th movie with that last name.She should have made more movies Posted Image

That was some review. Although I wont this set, I did enjoy reading about it.

Great job

#16 of 184 OFFLINE   Ryan Wishton

Ryan Wishton

Screenwriter

• 1,130 posts

Posted September 25 2004 - 01:21 PM

Very Nice Review. Very nice job with it. Incredibly long, but it was for the best with the controversy surrounding the set.

Although, who is Jennifer? I dont remember a Jennifer ever being in this series? Then again, I havent seen it in awhile so I may have forgotten.

I was going to pass on the set until the next issues if they do infact happen in the coming years. But with the Blockbuster $26.99 price mistake (as Matthew refers to above), I just couldnt turn it down. Couldnt even rent them all for that around here. Oh well. Guess that makes me a hypocrite. I realized the errors of my ways and will remember to never say never 100% again. I also ordered Looney Tunes Golden Collection 2 too on a pricing error.

I am a little disappointed in the set as most, but at the same time interested. But, to be really fair, the set is a decent value even at the $55 price if you are into the series and dont have the originals. I really did expect it to cost more based on previous Paramount pricing strategies.

I do feel bad for the people who did pay retail ($29.99) for all the originals.

Those expecting this to street at under $20 (yes, they did exist) were living in a pipe dream.

Would I buy Issue #3? Well, if there is a substantial difference (like the uncut versions), in a heartbeat as would most others into the series. I will just wait and see what it offers in the future before making any decisions whatsoever. I dont want to get caught up in some hype as I did last year and be let down again. Another lesson I have learned. Dont count your chickens before their hatched.

Elmo & friends give this review Two Thumbs up!!!

Posted Image

#17 of 184 OFFLINE   David Dias

David Dias

Stunt Coordinator

• 163 posts

Posted September 25 2004 - 02:51 PM

It's always great to read a DVD review where the reviewer is knowledgeable and passionate about what they're reviewing. Thank you Michael for the excellent review.

#18 of 184 OFFLINE   Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen

Producer

• 4,096 posts

Posted September 25 2004 - 08:18 PM

I'm still on the fence about this- these movies have been a guilty pleasure for a long time, but I'm mad that they didn't include a 3-D version of part 3. I have a home-recorded DVD of the Japanese VHD videodisc (a dead format that never appeared in the US) in field-sequential 3-D (same kind used with the IMAX discs and those cheesy direct-to-video horror flicks) and would love to buy a legitimate copy, as there are Japanese subtitles on it and the person I got it from used a low-bitrate setting. To be fair this was shown in 2-D at the drive-ins, but considering a 3-D version was put out in Japan 20 years ago, and we now have 3-D equipment available rather widely in the US but very little to actually watch on it, I'd say this was a blown opportunity. Interesting note is that #3 was the only one in 2.35; the 3-D prints were actually "flat" (non-anamorphic) but had the left and right images 'stacked' on top of each other in a regular film frame, and a special lens was put on the projector to show them onscreen as a polarized image. For the drive-ins they put out regular 2-D prints in scope format.
Home video oddities, old commercials and other junk: http://www.youtube.com/user/eyeh8nbc

#19 of 184 OFFLINE   Ryan Wishton

Ryan Wishton

Screenwriter

• 1,130 posts

Posted September 25 2004 - 08:38 PM

The one thing that does suck about no Friday 3D is we are really running out of time on it. Give it too much longer and the opportunity wont even be there anymore. HDTV's are rapidly flooding the market place. As months go by, traditional tv's are becoming outdated and really wont be around in a few more years at all. The 3D effects of movies like these (Amityville 3D, Jaws 3D, F13 3D) will not even work on HDTV's I believe. At least this is what I have been hearing unless it's false info. So, the day will come where the option wont even be there anymore for a lot of us even if it does come out someday. This is one thing they should have put on as an option now. If we wanted to see it, those of us who do could have bought the glasses ourselves. It's not like we would have expected $100 glasses (even less now) to be thrown in, but those of us who wanted to view it bad enough would have had the option of doing so. P.S. Please no fake version just for the sake of it. What I mean is making something like Freddy's Dead with the paper glasses. It would defeat the purpose and wouldnt work anyways. Basically, creating something like that would just be a big waste of money that could go towards something else.

#20 of 184 OFFLINE   Joe Karlosi

Joe Karlosi

Producer

• 6,001 posts

Posted September 25 2004 - 11:46 PM

My opinons of the set (based on this and other reviews) are still pretty much what I've maintained all along -- Paramount really left a lot of things undone here and it's a shame, but yet I will indeed be buying the collection, especially at the lower prices I'm hearing about. I was hooked on Jason ever since I saw PART 2 in the theatre, and then I began a tradition of seeing every F13 film in the theatre when released. I want ANY and ALL extra footage and cast/crew participation I can get.

Michael, you certainly did quite an extensive review job here. But if I may quibble a bit, you might want to proofread your writing. "Diane" Kimmell? Steve "Minor"? JASON TAKES MANHATTAN being released in 1988? (it was '89). Posted Image

Now, here's my 3 cents worth on some other matters up for discussion:

You already know I disagree with you about F13 being like TWITCH OF THE DEATH NERVE. I finally got a chance to see the Bava film and not only didn't enjoy it, but did not personally see a connection except that there were a lot of murders (which could be the case for many films of that type). When you're making a serial killer film with a maniac going on a spree, I'm sure many methods of slaughter would be similar (axes, spears, etc..)

When you defend PART 5 by saying "we don't know the killer's identity until the end", I have to disagree. It was pathetically obvious to all of us in that theatre in 1985 who the killer was, as soon as he was shown. Hardly very subtle.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: DVD Reviews

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users