What's new

Honeymooners episode found at my alma mater (1 Viewer)

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
It's amazing what is still found after many years and it gives hope that other items may be found (first Tonight Show with Johnny Carson for example).

I'll admit that I didn't know that any Honeymooners sketches were still missing. I thought that Mr. Gleason's vault contained all of them.

Are there other Honeymooners still awaiting rediscovery?

Steve

PS - don't want to derail Wade's thread, but anybody heard anything about Paul Brownstein releasing the color Honeymooners on DVD? I'm guessing there may be music rights issues with this.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
I think the color episodes were shown on some cable channel not too long ago (was it Hallmark?) Anyway, I'm interested in all things Honeymooners.

As for the Lost Episdoes, in one of the Honeymooners books it does list some that are still "lost".

Videowack

Agent
Here's some detailed info on this:

ATHENS, Ga. - It's news that would make Jackie Gleason (news) shout out his trademark "And away we go!" A new "lost" episode of the classic 1950s TV comedy "The Honeymooners" has been uncovered in the Peabody Awards archive at the University of Georgia.

The episode, titled "Love Letter," originally aired on Oct. 16, 1954, on "The Jackie Gleason Show," said Ruta Abolins, director of the Peabody Awards Collection and Media Archives at UGA.

"It does not exist in another archive and is a unique `lost' episode in `The Honeymooners' history," Abolins said in a statement Thursday.

Gleason starred as Ralph Kramden, a blustery New York City bus driver. Audrey Meadows played his sharp-tongued wife, Alice. Art Carney was his goofy neighbor, Ed Norton, a sewer worker, and Joyce Randolph played Ed's wife, Trixie.

Archivist Margaret Compton discovered the "Love Letter" episode during a preservation review of the archives' kinescopes and videotapes. She said plans are being made by Gleason Enterprises to release the never-rebroadcast episode on home video.

"The Honeymooners" was introduced on Oct. 5, 1951, during Gleason's first variety series, "Cavalcade of Stars," broadcast live on the DuMont Television Network. From 1952 to 1955, "The Jackie Gleason Show" ran on CBS where the live sketches grew from 10 minutes to 30 minutes in length. "The Honeymooners" also ran as a CBS sitcom in the 1955-56 season, and "The Jackie Gleason Show" returned as a variety program in the 1956-57 season.

A re-performance of "Love Letter" aired during Gleason's 1956-57 series, but the Peabody Awards archive holds the only known copy of the original sketch from the earlier variety show.

The episode deals with Kramden's discovery of a love letter that he mistakenly believes is meant for his wife.

Some 70-odd "lost" episodes of "The Honeymooners" emerged from Gleason's vault in the 1980s.

The Peabody Awards, considered among the most prestigious and selective prizes in electronic media, recognize excellence and meritorious work by radio and TV stations, networks, webcasters, producing organizations and individuals. Gleason won an individual Peabody in 1955.

The Awards Archive holds more than 40,000 titles, including radio programs dating from 1940 and television from 1948.

Keith Yates

Auditioning
TV Land will be airing this "Love Letter" episode tonight at 8:00pm Eastern. They have timed it to be shown exactly 50 years since its original broadcast.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks