What's new

Spray Paint Guns (1 Viewer)

JamieD

Supporting Actor
Guys, I've used brushes for several projects now, and the hassle/results just weren't up to par. Too many brush strokes was the biggest problem. I've been thinking about getting into spray painting. I don't know anything about the process though, in terms of what paints to use, are they special paints, or the gear, or.. well. .anything. Any suggestions?

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
I have a spray set up. Compresser, gun, the works. For small jobs like speakers, I just use spray paint from a rattle can. Rustoleum sells an attachment that goes on the top of the can to give you a trigger grip. I use that, works great. Try it before going whole-hog on a air set-up. Much easier for small jobs, no gun clean up which is a pain.

Bobby C

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Mark,
I have a compressor I use for air tools (nailers, staplers, etc.). Will that work with a paint setup or it a different type of compressor?

Thanks,
Bob

DaveHo

Supporting Actor
That depends on the rated cfm. A small pancake or hotdog style probably won't cut it.

-Dave

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
Right, what Dave said. Look at the tool's required minimum cfm requirements and then look at your compressor's cfm output to see if it would work.

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
Depends on the gun. If I were to get a new gun I'd look at HVLP - High Volume Low Pressure. Less over-spray, easier to get a better finish. I am not by any means an expert in this. I just have a cheap gun I bought at home depot. Conventional type. I can get pretty decent results with it. I can only imagine what a really good gun can do. If I was to do it right, I'd go HVLP. Then again if I was to do it right I'd have the right environment to spray in like an enclosed booth. It'd be nice to have but I don't have much need right now.

Typically, you'll need between 8 to 12 cfm for air type paint sprayers. By the time you get set up, you could easily spend $200 - $500 to start. For larger home and hobbiest use, consider something like a Wagner Power painter or Cambell-Hosfeld (sp?) airless. For small jobs, it's hard to beat rattle cans. If you need custom colors, there is a refillable air cartrage type spray can style that can be purchased through Harbor Freight. You can also fine these at auto body shop supply stores.

Hope this gives you a few alternatives,
Roy

Elijah

Supporting Actor

Campbell Hausfeld : )

Spent too much time working in the carpentry shop in 9th grade to forget that one.

Dave Milne

Supporting Actor
Not necessarily... it depends on the gun. For example, there are some very good touch-up guns (Binks included) that are rated for 4 scfm or less. The top-of-the-line full-size Craftsman gun is only rated at 7 scfm. It really doesn't take much of a compressor to power paint guns.

I heartily recommend buying a compressor and gun. They are very handy tools that pay for themselves in terms of convenience, lower cost than spray bombs, better finish (especially on larger projects). There are also a million other things that you can do with a good compressor. Just do it.

Shawn Keeler

Stunt Coordinator
I have also been looking into spray gun set-ups. Are there any online tutorials going through the primer, paint, sanding, and finish steps? I have a ballpark on the steps, but some help in the order and materials would be awesome.

Bobby C

Stunt Coordinator
Well my compressor (an Hitachi) is rated at 4.1 cfm at 90 PSI. Doesn't seem to be many guns that can run at that. So something more dedicated may be in order.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks