What's new

Directors Star Wars vs Lord of the Rings. (1 Viewer)

Tom Martin

Stunt Coordinator
when it comes to great trilogies, these guys are the owners! but it's pretty hard to pick a winner cuz of the different versions. we have the original Star Wars and the new enhanced Star Wars. we have the theater version od Lord of the Rings and the special extended versions, i know, Return of the King isn't out yet but i doubt it'll disappoint.

anyway, i personally happen to find LotR more interesting, cinematically beautiful, much less cheesy(corny lines), structured better, and more well organized.

i'll break it down like this.

SW original: 9
LotR theater: 9

SW SE 9.5
LotR EE: 10

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
Star Wars wins, hands down. Jackson made an EXCELLENT adaptation of Tolkien's masterwork, but it feels amateurish at times. And LOTR less corny than Star Wars? Merry and Pippin's ridiculous antics in the TTT EE overshadow anything in the Star Wars films, Jar Jar included ;)

Bryan Ri

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan
I vote Star Wars over LOTR. Plainly said, I think Star Wars is more exciting. LOTR was done masterfully, but there are a lot of slow periods in those films as well.
I may get spat on for this, but I also think that LOTR tried to force emotions on you. Don't get me wrong, I wept many a time throughout that trilogy, but there were some points where I felt as if the film was saying "You're going to care about these characters whether you like it or not!" so to speak.

All that being said, they're still both the epidomy of great filmmaking for me.

Kenneth

Supporting Actor
I think you can make interesting comparisons between the two at a lot of levels. Personally I was exposed to the LotR books and SW at about the same time so I have a strong affection for both. Anyways, here is how I would break out some of the notable comparisons between the two movie trilogies:

Direction: Winner LotR; Jackson clearly is a better and more consistent director than Lucas. His ability to maintain a consistent vision and manage the logistics of a continuous multi-year shoot is outstanding.

Production: Winner SW; although this is close in my book, Lucas' clear strength is as a producer. Although Jackson's achievement with LotR's is outstanding, Lucas was blazing newer territory with SW (in my opinion).

Writing: Tie; both efforts were exceptional writing achievements. Lucas in creating a universe and mythology from scratch and Jackson in adapting a beloved book into a successful movie were both outstanding achievements.

Special Effects: Tie; Lucas was blazing newer territory in the late 70's but both director/producers have created world class special effects studios that have and will continue to change the way movies are made.

Industry Effect: Winner SW; SW created the summer blockbuster, led to the formation of one of the premier special effects houses (ILM), and helped create THX and many other theatrical improvements.

So while I would give the edge to LotR's as a movie trilogy I think both trilogies are notable and deserving of spots in film history.

Kenneth

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
This cannot end pretty.

I'll summarize. Each of these trilogies (and one more I love dearly) work for me in different ways, and speak to me at different ages/maturities. This is not just my idea. Patrick Sun and quite a few others have made much the same comments.

Star Wars is best for the child in me.

LOTR is better suited as I grow older in adolescence, because it has real darkness and fear in it, but the grittier elements make SW seem more magical.

And the adult in me loves the Matrix Trilogy. Loves it.

But this won't end pretty, because we (those would click on this thread) have strong emotional attachments (one way or the other) to all the films.

Take care,
Chuck

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Hmmm let's see

SFX:
not fair the LOTR movies have the advantage of more recent technology and the SW OT still stands up fine for me.

Story: SW - good guys vs bad guys
LOTR - good guys vs bad guys
It's a flavour thing - I prefer LOTR

Acting: No comparison LOTR by parsecs

Direction: See Acting

Dialogue: Not even in the same galaxy - LOTR

Score: toss up. SWs has a bold, brash, highly identifiable one, LOTR has a much more complex and layered one.

Intangibles: This is where SW picks up most of it's steam and it's has nostalgia on it's side as well. LOTR has the advantage of pedigree - being based on a classic book.

SW runs with a preteen sensibility. LOTR aims slightly higher.

SW ends with a weaker 3rd picture. LOTR starts strong, sags in the middle - just a bit, and finishes strong.

Final verdict: LOTR edges out SW as my favourite trilogy.

The Matrix is a nonissue for me because the sequels are far below the original.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
I’ll disagree somewhat with Chuck. I have no emotional attachment to any of these films.

I consider The Return of the Jedi a poor movie and while Peter Jackson made some choices in individual scenes that are unfortunate (dwarf tossing, for example), these are fairly short distractions compared to the Ewoks (though that is not all I dislike about that movie).

Lord of the Rings very easily.

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
I... I... I... Liked Matrix Revolutions the best out the of trilogy :b

Shawn_McD

Stunt Coordinator
Although SW holds a special place, LOTR was before SW...Lucas even admits to taking elements from LOTR. The fact its a movie and so well done, I'd have to say SW has been bumped down my list.

Besides, SW had a few good actors, Mark Hamill is rubbish, only Harrison Ford really made anything of himself. Take LOTR cast...OMG..you have like 10+ SUPERB actors.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
While I loved the SW films, LOTR wins hands down in my book. An incredible creation of a world and enthralling from beginning to end. And as far as dialogue, yes SW is the plain loser.

That said, there are moments in SW that are among my favorites ever: the climactic duel in Empire, for instance.

But no, this cannot end pretty.

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
Overall, I guess I prefer LOTR for many of the reasons stated here. Watching ANH last night, I re-discovered that although it's as much fun as any movie I've ever seen, it's not terribly high on substance. Guinness does give it some heft, but there's not much else there in that department. All of the LOTR films are more ambitious, in that regard, than ANH.

But in response to Chuck Mayer, who made this similar point:

I have to say that Empire hits me with as much darkness and fear as anything in LOTR, or almost any other film I've ever seen, for that matter. I watched ANH and Empire back-to-back last night, having not seen any of the OT since the '97 theatrical releases. After ANH, I was ready for some increased intensity from Empire, but my expectations were exceeded even still. From the very first scenes, I was completely blown away--it was even more intense, more riveting, and more powerful than I had remembered.

I know that we're talking about the trilogies as a whole, and the fact that they filmed all three LOTR films at once maybe makes for a difficult direct comparison. The different feel I get from ANH and Empire is a lot bigger than any differences I feel when watching any two LOTR films.

Tom Martin

Stunt Coordinator
actually, it's not meant to "end" in any way. many, many of us love both films. this is not meant to be a hostile debate over which one is better, but which one you prefer, and why.

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member

My opinion of Hamill's acting (and Carrie Fisher's) has actually risen steadily over the years. He did an effective job with what was some pretty merciless dialogue and production conditions. The OT actors must have been doing something right since in the prequels you see a number of otherwise fantastic actors reduced to giving truly robotic performances ;)

I like LOTR more, overall. I love Star Wars but as Lew pointed out, LOTR doesn't suffer from a weak climax like SW does, and I think LOTR, owing to its literary roots, has a grace and texture that SW can't quite match.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover

Well said Chuck and I hope this thread remains civil. I think it will. :)

Star Wars is my favorite, but Lord Of The Rings is very, very close.

I know I'm viewed as a SW nut, but I do LOVE LOTR. The Fellowship just gets better & better and I've seen it so much. NEVER get tired of that one.

It's just fantastic that we have them both to watch. Each brings different things. For me, they are different enough that it's really easy to love them both without comparing.

Haggai

Senior HTF Member

Tim, I think you can safely drop "viewed as" from that statement. We've left the realm of subjective opinion here. :D

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Lou Sytsma said it extremely well. Acting, direction, and dialogue are all far superior in LOTR. SW's third film began the descent into preteen silliness (too bad Lucas couldn't sustain the tone established in ESB), ROTK ended strongly and beautifully. LOTR's story has been around for 50+ years, and is far deeper and richer.

And I don't think the Matrix trilogy rates. I feel the same way about the 2nd and 3rd films the way I do about the PT: They shouldn't have been made.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks