What's new

Receivers that upconvert (1 Viewer)

Chris

Senior HTF Member
OK, I knew that there was a list somewhere of receivers that automatically upconverted signal (SVHS, etc.) to component output.

Anyone have a "known list" ?

I'm trying to get together something for the inlaws who are sick of switching inputs on their TV when they want to watch HD vs. TiVO vs. VHS :)

Jeff Hipps

Stunt Coordinator
Although this feature is common on higher end gear including our Sherwood Newcastle P-965 tuner/preamp/processor and the R-965 and R-865 receivers, we will be shipping a new budget model called the Sherwood RD-8601 in about 30 days. Not only does it offer Universal Video up-conversion from composite to S-Video and for both to component video, it will also be our first receiver with automatic speaker set-up. The best part: MSRP is only $399.95.

Please email me for more details at: [email protected]

Jeff

BruceTM

Agent
I would normally be interested in autitioning the RD8601, but after searching for dealers at sherwood america, I find that I would have to drive over 200 miles to hear one piece of equipment. I have noticed that Sherwood and some other brands seem to concentrate on certain areas and leave other regions without any local dealers. Frankly, it's kind of frustrating.

Jeff Hipps

Stunt Coordinator
Sherwood Home Audio is distributed nationally by DBL Distributing in Phoenix. Any dealer in the country has access to it.

Jeff

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Ok, that's one ;) Does anyone have any recommendations or other models as well? I always like to have at least three or four choices for people :)

Matt G.

Agent
The Harman Kardon AVR 7300 upconverts...description:

"...the AVR 7300 is equipped with DCDi(R) image processing by Faroudja(R) which improves the quality of any video source, and upconverts all inputs to high-resolution component video"

I have the 7200 (last year's flagship), and while it doesn't do the upconversion the 7300 does, the audio section is similar. It is one heck of a receiver in the amp section.

Jamie Doucette

Stunt Coordinator
I don't like the word "upconvert". It implies that a receiver improves the video quality of a signal when going from one video source to another. Examples of receivers that do upconvert or improve picture quality like this are the HK AVR7300 (see post above) and the yamaha RX-Z9.

It sounds like you're more interested in receivers that universally switch video signals, ie: s-video to component.

This product does NOT upconvert the signal, but it does universally switch composite and s-video to component (without improving picture quality).

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Ok, so as far as "universally connect" we're just implying that no matter how it connects to the receiver it outputs to the TV via component, correct? That's all I'm worried about.

It looks like the Denon 2805/3805 do this as well (or do they, Jamie, "improve picture" as it goes, which is not something I was really thinking about in the beginning)

Anyway, so right now I have the HK, Yamaha, Sherwood, Denon that do this? So that's four. I can probably take them around Miami (FL) when I go down and see what they think.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks