What's new

CSI: NY ongoing thread (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Ack! Can't stand Claw-dia from "24".

The white/blue tint is pretty brutal on the actors.

Melina Kanakaredes looks like Sarah Jessica Parker with brown hair in some scenes.

So far, the recreations of the past crimes are a little more dramatic and spooky than either of the other 2 CSI's.

This show feels more like a film than an episodic show.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Okay, finished watching the series premiere:

Yeah, I feel like I need to take a shower after watching this episode, it was just really gritty and grimey. It did feel like it was channeling "Seven" a little too urgently as well.

Andrew Santos

Stunt Coordinator
did anyone watching it in HD notice it go blurry for a second a few times? i can't tell if it's the tv or the network. we're getting comcast digital cable, chicago area, tv is a toshiba 42h83. it was kind of annoying. show was not bad though. very dark. probably would say that the original series is still the best, but time will tell.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
I didnt find the premier as exciting as most other CSI:LV episodes...

Definitely much darker and gritty... interesting premise for the episode...

So were the eye blinks just totally random/involountary, or were they actually responding to Mac's questions? They seemed pretty deliberate... yet she 'fingered' the wrong guy when he showed her the pic of the owner of the home.

MattGentry

Second Unit
Eh. I really hate the other CSI's, and was really hoping to like this one.

Unfortunately, no. While gritty and dark (which I love), it was just more of the same old thing. Unless this begins to go somewhere - and fast - I'm out...

Jeff*S*C*

Second Unit

I assumed she was answering his questions and that Mac thought she'd answered yes about the guy but she was actually just having the stroke.

I didn't much like it at all, it didn't feel like CSI. No wit, no unique personalities, just in your face intensity and dark grittiness filled with vanilla characters. If it didn't have "CSI" in the title, no one would have been able to convince me it wasn't just "crime drama #4".

I was also surprised at the weakness of the story for use as a Premiere episode.
After 45 minutes of meandering they they seem to just pull the "hey lets go retest with this laser we never used before" crap outta nowhere for no reason which suddenly winds the entire case up in 5 minutes. It was full of massive logic jumps that made the episode hard to stomach.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Michael: I enjoyed last night's episode more than the Miami/NY crossover episode. The cinematography was more consistent ( for obvious reasons ) and helped created a mood for the show that was missing from the pilot. I was happy to see that Hill Harper is a cast member, as I enjoyed his work on last season's canceled The Handler. ( Sort of curious what book he was reading. ) I'll be tuning in next week.

- Walter.

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
I enjoyed it, although I'm hoping they won't go with the constant blue-ish tone ALL the time.

Personally, I find the the idea of being concious and locked inside a body you can't do anything with is horrifying. When she blinked in response to Mac's questions, I just about lost it. But thats me. :) The idea that someone would willingly put someone in that state? :eek: GAH!

All in all, I enjoyed it. I certainly like Sinise more than I like Caruso. (I love CSI:LV, don't enjoy Miami much though.)

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
The conventional wisdom is, it's no CSI, but it's way better than CSI:Miami. I agree. I like the blue/grey washed out palette (which looks fantastic in Hi-Def), and Sinise is wa-a-a-y better than Caruso, but I also felt that the ending was abrupt and felt disjointed. I have a bunch of other quibbles already mentioned in the thread, but I'll keep watching for now.

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
I found it quite good. I watched in HD on Cox Cable here in North San Diego County and did not notice any blurring at all. However, of all three CSI shows, the Miami version is still the best looking in HD IMHO. Sound was pretty good too.

MikeFR

Supporting Actor
That's how I felt too. For the first ten minutes I was thinking that they should just do the whole show in black and white.

Overall I thought the story was nice and creepy but I thought it got wrapped up too quickly and the obligatory 9/11 'tear jerk' ending was unnecessary when you consider the emotional impact of the girl 'locked' in her body.

Richard Gilmore

Stunt Coordinator
I thought the scene where Sinise talked to the "comatose" victim as he collected evidence was quite moving. He really conveyed the emotion well.

Chris_Morris

Screenwriter
Sinise was at the top of his game. Much better than Caruso. Mac was given development that CSI:LV did not give in the first season. For good or bad, I think his wife's death will pop up very frequently, just like Horatio's brother's death did in CSI:Miami. As for the bluish tones, I think we're stuck with them, I just hope they tone them back some, the subtlety of the tones is what works in the other CSIs and this was a little too much.

Chris

Don Black

Screenwriter
This show came across as way too dark. I am almost hesitant to see it again. It seems that each version of CSI gets progressively more grim and depressing. I also think they went way overboard on the set designs. The architecture and offices were way over the top.

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
I liked it a great deal. With the exception of Vanessa Ferlito, I liked the whole cast, and Sinise was excellent.

The architecture seemed to be an independant character in the show, which I think is nice. It doesn't have the feel of being just another CSI show, but seems marketedly different. I'm also glad to see more focus on procedure and science than Miami.

All in all, worth a full season of my time if they can keep this up. It also looks like a feature film on HD, very beautiful and detailed.

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
> Melina Kanakaredes looks like Sarah Jessica Parker with brown hair in some scenes.

I was thinking the same thing.

Rob T

Screenwriter
Damn I missed it.
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks