What's new

Food For Thought (1 Viewer)

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
(please forgive the cheesy thread title)

When the kids were still at home it was easy to go through a loaf of bread before it started to turn green. Occassionally you'd even run out. Not any more. With just me and the wife it's impossible to buy a loaf of bread and not have at least half of it (usually more) going to waste. My bologna sandwich tolerance level isn't what it was when I was a youngster.

Is there such a thing as a mini-loaf, maybe about half-size, with 8-10 slices? If it exists I've never seen it. So I say to Wonder, Home Pride, Mrs. Baird and the rest...... bring on the Mini-Loaf already!

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Is this 'on the counter' bread or refrigerated? I think it will last a little longer in a fridge, and I think even longer if it is sealed (like with Tupperware). You could try those out.

Be glad there are two of you. One person is much worse!

I know we are 'super-sizing' just about everything these days, and it is much easier to grab the largest size if you know that you will consume it before it goes bad, but all in all, I think it's a stupid idea. If they only had the small sizes and you just brought one, you'd end up going back to the store more often, and thus, buying more.

That might not be good from a consumer standpoint but from the manufacturor's view - and probably the store's too, wouldn't that make more sense?

I think that Wonder Bread used to have short loaves available, but they are probably long gone. Since it is just the two of you, have you thought about trying out the breads that aren't the normal (white/bleached) type?
They might be more expensive but you'd end up throwing less out.

Glenn

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Why not freeze half a loaf? As mentioned, bread will last in the fridge a lot longer than on the counter.

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter
Why not freeze it? Or at least refridgerate it? That's what we do since it takes us a while to go through a loaf of bread too.

*edit* seems there's an echo in here. . or I responded a second too late ;)

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Missed it by THAT much...
wink.gif

Bob Graz

Supporting Actor
We freeze it too. We'd never get through a loaf of bread without it spoiling otherwise.

Jason GT

Second Unit
What about giving a local small business (bakery) your bread money instead?

You'll usually get better bread and it's more likely that you'll be able to get a loaf that fits your requirements.

MMMmmmm green bread....
yum.gif

Mike Voigt

Supporting Actor
Or bake your own - not that difficult to do... a lot of fun, actually! You can get small pans for miniloaves, etc.

Todd Henry

Second Unit
We buy Pepperidge Farm bread. There are a lot less slices than your typical bag of Wonder Bread and it is better quality (more expensive, too).

Also second the idea of freezer/refridgerator.

Todd

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
I imagined in my mind near unanimous support for the Mini-Loaf. At first it was a small clamor here at the AHL. Then it slowly began to spread across the web. Before long, what started as a small rebellious voice desperately seeking audience grows into a cacophonous demand which cannot be ingored.....

So, put it in the frige you say?

:)

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
This hasn't been brought up yet...

You could put it in the fridge. I can't believe no one has said that.
rolleyes.gif

Or, have more kids.

KerryK

Stunt Coordinator
Keep in in the fridge, and once it gets a little stale, start eating toasted sandwiches.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I tried freezing bread, but it dries out - Ick!

I too don't like the fact that I waste so much bread, but I don't throw it in the trash, I thrown it on the lawn and the birds eat it, so I guess I don't feel like it's a total loss/waste.

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Throw a pack of Silica in with the bread. I hear it absorbs sals... I mean moisture. So it will probably suck the mold right off the bread.

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter
quote: tried freezing bread, but it dries out - Ick!

How are you defrosting it?

It works best if you pull the bread out one slice at a time as you need it. Throw the slice in the microwave for 5-10 seconds and when it comes out its still moist.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Leila, that's how I do defrost it. Have you ever toasted it after defrosting it? It gets really dry that way.

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter
quote:Leila, that's how I do defrost it. Have you ever toasted it after defrosting it? It gets really dry that way.

Oh okay. I do toast frozen bread, I just don't defrost it first. I let the toaster take care of that. Not sure if it makes any difference though. Maybe I just don't notice the extra dryness or it at least, it doesn't bother me.

Mike Voigt

Supporting Actor
Toaster does take care of it, and it works reasonably well. Still a little dryer than normal, but it does keep one from using green bread
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks