-

Photo
- - - - -

Polarization ?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 OFFLINE   LewB

LewB

Screenwriter

• 1,282 posts

Posted September 22 2004 - 07:14 AM

A couple of nights ago I was selected to participate in a between innings trivia game at Yankee Stadium. Got my ugly face up on the jumbo screen for a good 30 seconds or so (fame and fortune here I come). A friend took pictures of me on the jumbo screen with his digital camera (brand unknown). The pictures did not come out, he said that there was no image. Someone else said that this could be due to a polarization difference between the camera and the screen he was taking the picture of. Can someone further explain this to me ? I'm heartbroken that the pictures are lost Posted Image

#2 of 7 OFFLINE   ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool

Producer

• 5,862 posts

Posted September 22 2004 - 07:38 AM

Never heard of that (polarization) before. I know about polarization effect w/ polarizing filters, but not about that. Is that maybe just some BS and the person doesn't have a clue what he/she's talking about? Posted Image Only thing remotely close to that I can think of is if the jumbotron display uses reflected light off mirrors (which is quite probable) and your friend had a polarizing filter on his lens that filters out the reflected light, but he would actually have to have such a filter on his camera lens -- and he would certainly know if he did.

_Man_

Just another amateur learning to paint w/ "the light of the world".

"Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things..." (St. Paul)

#3 of 7 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,754 posts

Posted September 22 2004 - 08:38 AM

When I took pix of the Braves jumbotron, I got banding throughout the images on the jumbotron, though it looked normal to the naked eye.
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#4 of 7 OFFLINE   Scott Kimball

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter

• 1,500 posts

Posted September 22 2004 - 08:56 AM

I don't know what the frame rates are on a Jumbotron, but it is very likely that shooting over 1/20 or 1/30 of a second could have very unpredictable results - blank or partly blank screen, banding, etc.

Try taking a picture of a standard tube television a 1/200 and see your results... not good... and that's a much more controlled environment.

It has nothing to do with polarization, since you'd almost have to know if you had a PL filter on your camera.

-Scott

#5 of 7 OFFLINE   brentl

brentl

Screenwriter

• 2,918 posts

Posted September 23 2004 - 07:58 AM

" since you'd almost have to know if you had a PL filter on your camera."

Pretty much guaranteed since they tend to drop exposure by 2 stops.

Let's see the shot and we'll tell you what's up LewB

B

#6 of 7 OFFLINE   LewB

LewB

Screenwriter

• 1,282 posts

Posted October 01 2004 - 12:34 AM

I finally got the real story.
Seems the camera in question can put pictures into its on-board memory, or on to it's removable memory media. 2 pictures went into the on-board memory OK, but the rest that should have gone to the removable memory never got there. Sorry for the confusion.

#7 of 7 OFFLINE   JohnRice

JohnRice

Lead Actor

• 8,570 posts

Posted October 01 2004 - 02:51 PM

Well, I was going to say Scott probably had the correct answer to the problem, but then read Lew's second post. Funny how digital photos don't come out when you don't actually save them.

The Hybrid System

The Music Part: Emotiva XSP-1, Thiel CS 3.6, Emotiva XPA-2, Marantz SA8004, Emotiva ERC-3, SVS PB-12 Plus 2

The Surround Part: Sherbourn PT-7030, Thiel SCS3, Emotiva XPA-5, Polk & Emotiva Surrounds.