What's new

RG6 Crimping-How do you do it? (1 Viewer)

Chris Sigua

Stunt Coordinator
Ok, got the cable (Quad Shield) , cable stripper, crimper and ends, now how do you crimp the ends on? Specifically,
How far from the end do you strip the outer jacket?
Do you peel back the braided sheath?
How long should the center conductor extend from the white foam part?
And any other tips on crimping that is important?
I know to some of you this may seem very trivial, but I've never done it and I have 12 ends to do and want to make sure I do it right.
TIA,
Chris

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
A cheap little handy tool sold by RS really helps.
Screw the connector onto the tool; One the other side of the tool is a handle which helps you drive the connector deep into the coax so the outer part of the connector makes good contact with the braiding.
It takes practice usually to get it right and then sometimes it still goes wrong.
It's a lot easier to show than to describe; email me if you still need a hand...live in the city and work in Sunnyvale if that's convient
Grant
------------------
"My, my, so many guns much anthrax-esque white powder around town these days, and so few brains." Humphrey Bogart

John.W

Agent
I Walk out to my Cox Communications Van and grab my Stripper tool and Crimper tool and go at it.
It helps sometimes to work for the local Cable Co.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
If you have the gray cable stripper from Radio Shack, Home Depot, etc, it has instructions with it. Just adjust the blades to match the stripping instructions that come with the F-connectors. If there are no instructions with the F-connectors, just use the default blade settings. Also you will have to adjust the cutting depth.
Don't peel back the braid. Just press and twist the F-connector on until the "white foam" is even with the inside of the F-connector. I alway have a lot of center conductor left over. Put two or three crimps on the connector. Last, I trim it to about 1/8" past the end of the connector.
-Robert
[Edited last by Robert_J on November 01, 2001 at 01:52 PM]

John.W

Agent
We Peel Back The Braid So It doesn't come in contact with the Center Conductor.
What we do is Strip the Wire, Our Stripper will expose the Center conductor At the end and the Braid A little Further Back. We Peel the Braid Back Around The "Jacket" Then put on a RG6 Connector, Then We put it in our Crimper tool and Crimp It. Cut Off any excess Center Conductor And make sure no Braid Snuck into the Connector.

Chris Sigua

Stunt Coordinator
Grant: Thanks for the offer, I'll give it a try and if it doesn't work I'll email you.
The stripper I have is just a simple tool like the ones you use for AWG wires. You grab it where you want to strip it rather than feeding it some of the wire and it does it for you. So that's why ask how far I should strip it back.
Thanks for the advice.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Chris,
Do yourself a favor and get one of the coaxial strippers that Robert was talking about. It is a pain in the butt to strip coaxial cable without one of these strippers, trust me! Best of all, they're cheap, only about $10. Worth it!
They have two adjustable blades that will strip the cable and make it “connector ready,” as it were. One blade strips the outer jacket and cuts through the shield to the dielectric. (Cutting through the shield is optional, depending on the connector that is used. Some require the shield to be pealed back, some don’t.) The second blade cuts through the dielectric to the center conductor, leaving the proper length of dielectric for the connector.
Then push the connector onto the prepped cable. The end of the dielectric should be flush with the end of the hole it slips into. As John noted, cut the excess center conductor, leaving about ¼” beyond the end of the connector. Cutting it at an angle will help it slip into the F-connector upon connection.
Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
------------------
My Equipment List

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks