Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Can you help?: Big room needed to be filled with home theater sound

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 of 9 StephenGencs

StephenGencs

Agent

• 33 posts

Posted September 21 2004 - 02:56 AM

The room is approximately 35' x 24' with a 25'ceiling. It is basically a converted and updated barn....

In wall and/or In ceiling speakers are 100% OUT.

I was thinking about a 7.2 channel system.

Any thoughts/advice?

I was thinking 2 10" subs, but wondering if that would drown out the surround channels....

thank you
gencs
"I'm trapped in time and I don't know what to do"

#2 of 9 Mark Seaton

Mark Seaton

Supporting Actor

• 600 posts

Posted September 21 2004 - 03:59 AM

Impressively filling a room is a very subjective matter based on your own personal experiences. The room/space you have is very large. My first question would be how far will your primary seating area be from the speakers and/or display? Secondly, while maybe a pair of SVS's new PB10 or some of the Hsu offerings could do a respectable job in that size room, you will need a lot more to deliver high-impact, 25Hz power.

Is this intended to be a dedicated HT environment? Multi-use? More details please...
Mark Seaton
Seaton Sound, Inc.

#3 of 9 StephenGencs

StephenGencs

Agent

• 33 posts

Posted September 21 2004 - 04:06 AM

Thanks Mark....

Not sure on the primary seating distance. I am thinking about 10-15 feet.... This will not be a dedicated home theater...

#4 of 9 Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Producer

• 5,910 posts

Posted September 21 2004 - 07:37 AM

Stephen,

Large rooms can be difficult, especially when it comes to low frequencies. Fortunately, you’re sitting fairly close to the speakers, which is helpful. You should be able to get by with fairly efficient speakers powered with about 100 watts per channel.

The big problems will be the subs. A couple of 10’s would do fine for music, and probably okay for movies – as long as your expectations aren’t too high. However, if you’re looking for theater-like levels and extension down to 25Hz or lower, you should be looking at multiple 12s or (even better) 15’s.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

My Equipment List
“A nice mid-fi system,” according to an audiophile acquaintance.

My Tech / DIY Articles and Reviews

#5 of 9 ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles

Producer

• 4,791 posts

Posted September 21 2004 - 01:56 PM

What kind of budget are you looking at?

#6 of 9 StephenGencs

StephenGencs

Agent

• 33 posts

Posted September 22 2004 - 01:11 AM

Trying to stay under $7,000....

I have a HK AVR 330. Is there any way I would be able to utilize that even thought it only pumps 55w/channel?

#7 of 9 cabreau

cabreau

Second Unit

• 322 posts

Posted September 22 2004 - 07:01 AM

I have an HK AVR-330 and I doubt that it will power a room that size. But keep in mind that Harman Kardon's 55 watt/channel is usually equivalent to other companies' ratings of 75-80 watt/channel.
Look into the AVR-7200 (or is it 7300 now?). That is a beast and it will sound awesome, plus it does video upconversion using Faroudja DCDi technology (major bonus). It can be had for approximately $1299 if I'm not mistaken. If you are on a budget (yes, even $7000 is a budget these days LOL), the Paradigm Studios sound like they are right up your alley. Check out this system.

http://www.paradigm.....100System.html

You'd have to add two more ADP-470's for 7.1 and then add another sub for 7.2, but I bet 7.1 would do if you got the right sub. I've heard these Studio 100's and the only thing that I've liked more were the Martin Logan Mosaics, but for a room THAT size, I bet the Studios will be better (louder). The Mosaics aren't as efficient and are much harder to drive, I don't think they'll go as loud as the Studios (anyone?)...but MAN what a soundstage.

That Servo 15 would probably do that room just fine, or you could invest in one of those badass SVS subs that has like 4 drivers in it and is as big as your car.

http://www.svsubwoof...ubs_b4_plus.htm

Some will say "use direct radiating speakers instead of those ADP things"...which is something that I believed when I started using my Atoms as surrounds. But this review says otherwise...

http://www.hometheat....rs-9-2004.html

Quote:
Surrounds

Prior to the arrival of the Paradigms, I had been running a 7.1 system with identical direct radiating side and rear speakers. At the time I set up this room, I felt I could get away with direct radiators for side/rear duty since I was using four speakers to saturate the space and had sufficient distance from the listening position to diffuse the sound field. My initial plan has held up well, and surround material is difficult to localize. Difficult but not impossible. Even with the generous dimensions of my theater room and proper time alignment I can, at times, pick out surround effects in too specific a manner. Sounds that should be more diffuse and set back in the soundstage can sometimes come across too defined in sound and location. Using the Signature ADPs in a more conventional 5.1 configuration showed once again how an engaging and cavernous space can be created with a single pair of dipoles set high up in the rear. Material that had felt too specific before had the appropriate diffusive quality via the ADPs that generates the illusion of an immense sound field. The ADP’s generous 8" woofer deftly handled large scale explosions and effects. This allowed me to run the rears a little lower than typical if I wanted to achieve a more full-range surround field.

Like their cousins in the line, the ADPs were able to play loud without sounding strained and put up an immense soundstage. In the truly wretched Stephen King adaptation Dreamcatcher, the film’s opening has multiple 360 degree pans that envelope the listener. The ADPs provided excellent rear fill and created that cohesive sonic bubble that good 5.1 systems are capable of achieving. Considering my room’s generous dimensions, I was left impressed and fully satisfied with just a pair of surrounds, something I did not think previously possible. I now giggle at the thought of what an additional pair ADPs would do for my room.

Now, this review is based on the Paradigm Signature Series, but the Studios are a great speaker and I'm sure they will perform up to your expectations as well. (Listen to me, I sound like a damn salesman.)

One more thing...
http://www.hometheat....hreadid=211811

LOL - people seem to want them. It's my next upgrade if I ever get any money.
"...He who knows how to live can walk abroad without fear of rhinocerous or tiger. He will not be wounded in battle. For in him rhinoceroses can find no place to thrust their horn, tigers can find no place to use their claws, and weapons no place to pierce. Why is this so? Because he has no...

#8 of 9 John Garcia

John Garcia

Executive Producer

• 11,518 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted September 22 2004 - 07:23 AM

One sub will be plenty for this room, as long as it is an SVS Posted Image A friend has a room not much smaller than that and even with the 25-31pci about 8' away, it was able to pound out awsome bass.

Positioning is everything for surrounds, and a larger room with the walls to utilize them correctly, will generally benefit from bi/dipoles. Note also that bi/di are also great for movies, but not always so great for multichannel music, where you may actually WANT a more localized sound.
HT: Emotiva UMC-200, Emotiva XPA-3, Carnegie Acoustics CSB-1s + CSC-1, GR Research A/V-1s, Epik Empire, Oppo BDP-105, PS4, PS3,URC R-50, APC-H10, Panamax 5100 Bluejeans Cable
System Two: Marantz PM7200, Pioneer FS52s, Panasonic BD79
(stolen) : Marantz SR-8300, GR Research A/V-2s, Sony SCD-222ES SACD, Panasonic BD-65, PS3 60G (250G)

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it’ll spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.” – Albert Einstein

#9 of 9 Hank VT

Hank VT

Agent

• 31 posts

Posted September 23 2004 - 12:52 AM

You will need some big amps to drive that room. I like the Paradigm choice.