What's new

Pic comparison with the regular/superbit release of Spiderman on Sanyo Z1 (1 Viewer)

David K.

Second Unit
I went to best buy and picked up spider man superbit release today, I wanted the dts track and since the original release had such good video, How much better is the superbit?

Here are some snap shots taken on my sanyo z1 progressive signal via component cables in a light controlled room. The projector is more then capable of producing 480P resolution images. The pics were taken with a Sony Cyber shot dsc w1 5.1 camera, The images were shot in 5.1 megapixels and resized.

Can anyone tell the difference? between the two versions?
Regular release

Superbit release

regular release

Superbit release

regular release

superbit release

regular release

superbit release

David K.

Second Unit
in person there is a very noticeable difference in contrast ratio, a manybe a teeeny tiny bit of increase in detail because of that.

Robert Cowan

Supporting Actor
i just got the superbit and its insanely better. i went back and forth just twice and the original release is terrible in comparison.

David K.

Second Unit
really? what display are you using?

I didnt notice any major difference other then contrast bump and less edge enhancement. a bit more "mosquito" looking in the superbit release while the standard release was more muddy with a bit of artifacting.

but the differences are SO minute I had to stare and rewind several times to spot such tiny differences.

but then Im using a 1/4 hd entry front projection, I would assume CRT's would make the differences more pronounced.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
The better the display system, the more obvious the differences. I don't mean to criticise your system, but viewed on the best systems such that the viewing system is much less the main limitation in quality, these differences between transfers, etc will become much more apparent.

Robert Cowan

Supporting Actor
my system for video (today...) is a denon dvd-2200 going out with audioquest YIQ-1 into a sony KV34-HS420 that i have tweaked. i also have a monster power conditioner on both.

edit:

also, i brought the superbit to work today and played it on a runco CL1000 with new scaler, through a meridian G98 dvd transport. it looked much better than original. although, with the scaling and upsampling of the two units, it was maybe less apparent, they both looked pretty darn good. BUT, you could still easily tell. no switching was needed, although we did it anyways.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Interesting.. On the screen shots, man are they close.

I can read the Oscorp lit up sign better in the Superbit release.

And maybe the items on the foreground table on the left in the first one, seem a little sharper.

I actually have not bought a single Superbit release yet. It sounds like the majority of dsiplays out there would reveal little difference.

Robert Cowan

Supporting Actor
come on guys, you are judging the quality on a camera taking a picture of a projector screen, then scanned into a computer and viewed on your computer screen... think how much is going to be lost!

now, if we did a screen capture lets say from a DVD-rom drive.. ie - just capturing a single frame and downloading it into the computer, and comparing that...

there is a difference, and its pretty noticable.

John S

Senior HTF Member
True Robert Cowan....

But I have seen many improvements revealed by simply taking snap shots of screens.

Jonathan M

Second Unit
It also helps if the actual frames are identical, which none of the above are.

No comparison to be made otherwise. The only comparison is to grab the still frame direct off the DVD using one of the many DVD rippers available, and comparing directly.

It'd be interesting to see just how much difference there is. I'd do it, but I don't have either of the DVDs in question.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks