What's new

My Pic comparison of Spiderman Superbit & Regular release (pics) 56k warning (1 Viewer)

David K.

Second Unit
I went to best buy and picked up spider man superbit release today, I wanted the dts track and since the original release had such good video, How much better is the superbit?

Here are some snap shots taken on my sanyo z1 progressive signal via component cables in a light controlled room. The projector is more then capable of producing 480P resolution images. The pics were taken with a Sony Cyber shot dsc w1 5.1 camera, The images were shot in 5.1 megapixels and resized.

Can anyone tell the difference? between the two versions?
Regular release

Superbit release

regular release

Superbit release

regular release

superbit release

regular release

superbit release

David K.

Second Unit
Can a moderator move this thread to the ht film software forum? I think itd be mroe appropriate there,

Thanks!

greg_t

Screenwriter
I've got both releases and I see a definite improvment in video quality on the superbit. I wouldn't base too much on small screenshots. The superbit looks much better to my eyes when watching the real thing.

Brian Lawrence

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
Not doubting your equipment but that seems an unreliable method of doing screenshot comparisons. All those shots look a bit washed out and a little on the green side.

I did some direct screen-caps of the regular edition using Powerdvd with settings at default and then resized the shots down to the same size as yours using photoshop. I put your shots on the top and the powerdvd captures below.

Darren Haycock

Second Unit

Actually, I read a number of reviews that would disagree. I don't find the picture quality a problem. But then again, I'm viewing it on a regular 27" television.

greg_t

Screenwriter
The picture quality on the original release was pretty average, and I didn't think it was that great. The superbit was much better to my eyes. I'm just waiting for the Spiderman 2 superbit. Come on Decemember!

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
David, those shots look terrible compared to Brian's!

Firstly, the camera won't have as much dynamic range as the projector. Also, the color balance on the camera won't match the projector's. And, it's likely the Z1's color balance isn't correct either. And the Z1, being LCD, doesn't have that much contrast in the first place, compared to the DVD source.

Throw all the variables above together and you get a washed-out low-contrast mess!

I'm not trying to be mean, just pointing out what I discovered myself. :)

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
yeah, i would say taking the screens from the computer would give the best representation (for comparison) of image quality from the DVD.

David K.

Second Unit
Dude, those pc captures look awesome.

My projector is an entry lcd projector, so Perfect contrast ratio and color balance is IMPOSSIBLE lol.

The way the pictures are set up is the way I have it right now as my default viewing setting. I used DVE and sound a vision calibrations discs, but they only made the image much worse, its as if they can not be used correctly with lcd front projection, I.E. sharpness tests on my projector does nothing with the calibration disc.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
I hear you David...I have the Z1 myself. Then I bought a Benq 8700. Guess which pj I'm using now? :D

The Z1 is damn hard to calibrate, IMHO. I mean, once I think I got the brightness setting licked, the contrast would be way out. So, I fix the contrast, but then everything looks washed out. Then I tune both again, and then my grayscale is wacked! Ack, can't win! Fixing an LCD is like tuning a CRT - too many interacting variables!

DLP is great for tweaking - but then you have to live with temporal dithering and the occasional posterization - those are nearly impossible to fix!

I really should give my old CRT RPTV a hug.

David K.

Second Unit
yep.

But I was originally going to go with the 4805, but I can see rainbows, and that wouldve drove me insane, though my projectors black levels are doing that to me right now :)

the lcd image doesnt really look as bad as they do in these pics. after looking at the pc shots, I went back to my projector and examined the scenes, And the pictures are indeed much more off-contrast in the pics then in person. ie, the laboratory scene, the pillars in real life do not have that reflective glean, but more true to the brown marble that is shown in the pc capture.

Since I dont use flash my camera captures all light possible causing a bit of over contrast.

PerryD

Supporting Actor
The best comparison of Superbit and non-Superbit is found on Bjoern Roy's site. To see the difference, he takes a very small area and blows it up. Take a look at an example of his comparison for Vertical Limit:

Sample from Bjoern's site

Robert Stanley

Auditioning
Whenever you resize (the CORRECT term is resample) an image you destroy sharpness, so these comparisons are totally pointless. Whether you upsample or downsample an image, it's all the same, you negatively alter the original level of sharpness.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
David, I rainbows drive me crazy on anything less than a 5x speed color wheel. Doesn't the 4805 have a 4x color wheel? Ouch!

I got a Z1 as an interim projector while I waited for the 5x color wheel HD2+ projectors dropped in price. I'm glad I did!

As for the superbit stuff, yeah, Bjoern contributes to a huge thread around here comparing screenshots from different DVD releases. Incredibly useful for videophiles....

Alistair_M

Second Unit
David

I'd think about getting a filter for your projector.

I think a FLD (fluorescent light day) filter would help.

I use one on my LCD projector (previously a Panasonic AE100, now a Panasonic AE500) - it does a good job of getting rid of the green push.

On the panasonic I use a 55mm size filter.

Just my 2 pence..

David K.

Second Unit
alistar thanks for the advice,

where can i find more information on these filters and how they work?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks