Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

How long to stick with Farscape?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#81 of 87 OFFLINE   Rex Bachmann

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter

• 1,975 posts

Posted September 29 2004 - 01:46 PM

"Delenda est . . . . "

#82 of 87 OFFLINE   TheLongshot

TheLongshot

Producer

• 4,119 posts

Posted September 30 2004 - 06:00 AM

Looking forward to it. It would be nice to get a baseline to see what you actually like, rather than hear all the time what you don't like. Jason

#83 of 87 OFFLINE   Rex Bachmann

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter

• 1,975 posts

Posted September 30 2004 - 10:13 AM

Jason Birzer wrote (post #82):

Let me clear one thing up: the thread I mentioned will examine what I and other science-fiction aficionados (not the casual (non)fans who "don't really care about science (or science fiction)") would like to see in terms of "correct science" ("hard"?) and realistic drama ("soft"?) in serial tv outer-space action/adventure shows.

"Delenda est . . . . "

#84 of 87 OFFLINE   TheLongshot

TheLongshot

Producer

• 4,119 posts

Posted October 01 2004 - 03:37 AM

Sounds like it will make for an interesting discussion. I'm looking forward to putting in my 0.02. Jason

#85 of 87 OFFLINE   Rex Bachmann

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter

• 1,975 posts

Posted October 02 2004 - 08:50 AM

Jason Birzer wrote (post #84):

Well, its "sterility", as you term it, is a separate and distinct issue from the "hip-cool" nonsense, a problem which it has never shared, as previously stated. However, the phenomenon you're speaking about is, unfortunately, also structural, its seeds having been planted pretty much from the beginning of the "franchise" by Mr. Roddenberry himself. The decision to make much of Star Trek "ideological"---that is, about messages (e.g., as in a "perfected world of the future")---became long ago a straightjacket, one out of which ST will probably never escape, no matter how many changes of "regime" (or scenery) take place.

"Delenda est . . . . "

#86 of 87 OFFLINE   TheLongshot

TheLongshot

Producer

• 4,119 posts

Posted October 02 2004 - 05:03 PM

I can't argue with this, which is why I think Trek needs to be put out of its misery. I think the show has run its course. So has this thread, for the most part. It seems pretty obvious that the aspects that we fans love about the show are things that you despise about it. To be honest, tho, I think that's the basic format of TV, for the most part. I know that there are fans of "CSI" and "Without A Trace" who hate the "character moments", and just want to focus on the cases. At the same time, tho, it is often characters who differenciate one show from another. It is one problem Trek has had for a while. It is hard to seperate the Captains of these shows sometimes, or other stock type characters, like Data/The Doctor/Odo, or Spock/Tuvok/T'pol. Course, it was the character interaction that really made the original Trek. Jason

#87 of 87 OFFLINE   Rex Bachmann

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter

• 1,975 posts

Posted October 03 2004 - 10:48 AM

Jason Birzer wrote (post #86):
Agreed.

"Delenda est . . . . "

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users