What's new

How long to stick with Farscape? (1 Viewer)

Eric C D

Second Unit
I totally agree with the "You MUST try" threads for Babylon 5 and Buffy, and I personally recommend them to friends. And when doing so, I tell them to stick with each until about half-way through Season 2.

So, in spite of having stopped after watching the first couple of original broadcast episodes of Farscape, I'm giving it a try on DVD. But I've got to admit that I just finished Season 1, and I just don't have any passion for it. It's not bad, it's like Enterprise to me - ho-hum.

How long should I stick it out before it's fair for me to decide it's not my cup o' tea?

Thanks,

Nicodemus

Stunt Coordinator
Just about now. If episodes like A Human Reaction, Nerve, Hidden Memory and Family Ties didn't move anything in you, then Farscape's just not for you. Too bad, it's such a great show.

I myself didn't "really get it" until late in season 2 although I saw glimpses of my passion to come during those mentioned season 1 episodes.

Lars_J

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, I agree. If you didn't find the last 3 or 4 episodes of Farscape S1 to be excellent, then there is little point in continuing...

I've seen S1-S3, and the show really does not diverge much from the formula set up in S1, although relationships do evolve, and story arcs get longer.

Eric C D

Second Unit
My sincere thanks - sounds like a fair consensus.

I certainly don't think it's a total joke, but it just doesn't seem (to me) to be worth my time. Neither the characters nor the "science" have caught my interest. Good production values though...

I'll probably watch the first 4 or 6 episodes into Season 2 since I've invested this much time already. And I'll let you all know if I change my mind.

Again, thanks.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
I have to admit that I didn't get *totally* hooked on Farscape until the Season 2 cliffhanger. (Although I enjoyed it from the middle of Season One on.)

That episode, Die Me, Dichotomy was "The Best Cliffhanger Ever!" (Even better than ST:TNG's "Best of Both Worlds", IMO). If you can somehow make it that far, you'll be a fan for life!

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
The Look At The Princess Trilogy from Season 2 was what really hooked me, especially its "revelation" at the end, though I have to agree that if you didn't particularly like the last few episodes of Season 1 (especially with the introduction of Scorpius who becomes a key character throughout the remainder of the series)

And the first few episodes of Season 2 are not that strong either.

BrandonJF

Second Unit
I had the exact same experience as Joseph.

I was buying the Farscape discs and just was not getting that into them. I was close to actually selling them and quitting somewhere around the middle of season 1. Then I started getting a little more into it. Still, the discs didn't get played right away after they were released. By the end of season 1, I was onboard enough to be sure I wouldn't be selling anything and would keep getting the series on DVD.

However, somewhere during season two, the show just skyrocketed for me. By the time the season two finale rolled around, it ended up being one of my favorite shows ever. I burned through each new set almost as soon as I got them. Some of these episodes are just epic. A couple of the three parters... wow.

I think my main problem with the first season of Farscape is you had a bunch of characters that really didn't like or trust each other and maybe that just seemed like an odd mix. But, one of the things I love about the show (and they mention this in some commentaries) is that there is no "reset" button on any characters and they really do naturally grow and change with each episode. The events in one episode will follow through to the next and, to me, it was just awesoome watching these characters go from where they started to where they are today (I'm so glad I don't have to say "to where they ENDED" :) ... less than a month away...)

Nicodemus

Stunt Coordinator
I have to agree with Joseph and Brandon here. I was totally hooked by LGM trilogy which, at the time, was the best thing I'd ever seen on tv. After that they have topped that several times with episodes like Die Me, Dichotomy (which is probably really the best cliffhanger ever), Dog With Two Bones and the "Kansas" trilogy in season 4, among few others.

But for one reason or another, it took quite a long time to really fall in love with Farscape. As I'm currently watching the episodes from the beginning, it's a really good show right from the start. Maybe the reason is what Brandon said: the characters aren't Star Trek -happy right from the start and therefore not quite so likeable.

So, if you got time and patience, you could keep on watching but if the last episodes of season 1 didn't hit you at all, then it also could be a complete waste of time. A Human Reaction was the first time I briefly realized that this show has some real potential.

Rolando

Screenwriter
never even seen this once. Is the first season worth a try? In TV so far Buffy has been good but I have been really hooked by, Star Trek, 24, Smallville, Dead Zone, X-Files and the like.

Should I give this a try? and how is it sold? Season sets?

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
I have enjoyed all the shows you mentioned, and Farscape Seasons 2 - 4 beats them all IMO. You can buy discs individually or in season sets I believe.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Early season one is a bit slow, but it serves to set up the characters, the world and everything that comes after it. I'm just a couple shows into the second season and I know each time out I'll find something to like (if not totally love) in an episode. Even in the less than stellar installments, someone has a line or there's a theme that I latch onto.

You're right, the crew of Moya are not the crew of the Enterprise, with a tidy bow at the end of every show. Those are the best kind of endings, the real life ones, where the plot isn't wrapped up every week.

Farscape is sold in season sets (1-3 are out now, 4 is out in two weeks) as well in standalone editions. The S1 discs have two shows per disc and S2-4 have four shows per disc.

MichaelGH

Stunt Coordinator
I agree that the season one cliffhanger is perhaps the best I've seen (although I think babylon 5's season 3 cliffhanger is my absolute favorite). Season one does take awhile to get into and, I think, plays better the second time around once you've already fallen in love with the show.

I have thought on countless occasions that the production values of Farscape could easily have been adapted into a theatrical movie format...probably wouldn't take that long to get the audience up to speed on why these people are together out here.

I do think that once you make it to the end of season 1, you'll be as hooked as the rest of us;) Don't try to watch the new miniseries without getting through season 4 though

Michael

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell

Not really. S2-4 comes in sets that have two discs. Each disc contains two (sometimes three) eps, plus, tons of extras, commentaries, etc...

I love my discs and wouldn't part with them for anything. I still haven't seen a series on DVD that can compare to the transfer of these. They are simply stunning! ADV Films really did a bang-up job.

Rolando

Screenwriter
But I assume extras are the same whether we buy season sets or individual right? I would hate to think the individual releases have more extras.

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rex Bachmann
Joseph Bolus wrote (post #6):

They don't have to be likable. Being believable within their context would help. Babylon Five has shown it can be done.

Daniel Kikin

Screenwriter
As much as I enjoyed Season One, it doesn't compare to Season Two, where the series really kicks into high gear. There are a couple of weak episodes in the beginning of the season but after that, the three-part eps take the series to a whole new level and the stand-alones are much better too. I'd say give Season 2 a try if you can.

Nicodemus

Stunt Coordinator

Actually I think Babylon 5 hasn't shown that at all.

As much as I like the story in B5 (I also quite like the series as a whole), in my opinion the acting and especially the character development in Babylon 5 is poor. More often than not the character development and characterization is there just for the plot - the characters do things against their own nature because that's necessary to advance the plot. The stories don't rise from the characters, like in Farscape or Star Trek Deep Space Nine. B5 is plot-driven whereas Farscape and DS9 are character-driven shows. Some like the former, some the latter. I don't want to turn this rather interesting discussion into DS9-B5 -conflict, I'm just stating my opinion.

Imo Farscape masters both of these aspects which are very important to me: great acting and character driven stories. Naturally there's some very, very bad episodes and horrible creative decisions but still the quality of writing has been high.

Lars_J

Stunt Coordinator
I agree with Nicodemus - I'm a huge B5 fan, but I think Farscape definately beats it with regards to acting and character development. There is no reason why I can't appreciate both shows for different reasons.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks