Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Active speakers - using different amps

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 of 3 AlexKunec

AlexKunec

Stunt Coordinator

• 163 posts

Posted September 15 2004 - 04:34 PM

Im about to build some active speakers and use a Bryston 4B to power the mids and a adcom to power the tweeter.

Now, on linkwitzlabs.com it says "The amplifiers must have identical voltage gains" (for active crossovers).

I really doubt that they (Bryston and adcom) do have identical voltage gains. Could I use an active circuit to attentuate or amplify either the tweeter or mids so to compensate for them having different gains?
2 Adire Tempest Drivers $300
24" Sonotube $30
1000w crown power amp $400
---------------------------------
Putting it all together and hearing it for thefirst time PRICELESS

#2 of 3 ThomasW

ThomasW

Screenwriter

• 2,282 posts

Posted September 15 2004 - 04:58 PM

Just put input level controls on the power amps or even easier on the active crossovers.

#3 of 3 Saurav

Saurav

Screenwriter

• 2,175 posts

Posted September 16 2004 - 09:57 AM

Figure out which driver needs to be attenuated, and then put potentiometers on it. You can leave it that way, or once you've picked a final position for the pot, measure it and then use fixed resistors to build an equivalent voltage divider. That's what I planned to do, but I'm still playing with the relative levels of the drivers trying to see how different settings sound.