What's new

Open Ltr To Par/wb/fox (1 Viewer)

Bradley-E

Screenwriter
Now that Univer$al has joined MGM, $ONY, and ARTISAN in releasing FULL FRAME editions of their Catalogue titles. I want to commend PARAMOUNT, FOX and WARNER BROS. for continuing to release their titles with respect. The work you all have done has been great, and the Anamorphic transfers indicate that you know your consumer and you have respect for your catalogue titles and the people who made them. PLEASE keep up the great work!

To UNIVER$AL. SHAME ON YOU FOR RELEASING "ICEMAN" (2:35 title) PAN & SCAN!!!!! BUT FOR LESS THAT $10.00 THE TERM YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR RINGS TRUE!!!!!

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
I concur, on both points!

I will not purchase fullscreen-only DVDs of COLOSSUS: THE FORBIN PROJECT and CHARLEY VARRICK, much as I love both flicks. Original Aspect Ratio or No Sale.

Kudos to Warner, Fox and Paramount! Keep on doin' what you're doing (although, please include trailers with more of your catalog releases, Paramount)!

AndrewWickliffe

Second Unit
Real Name
Andrew Wickliffe
I just read the full list--Charley Varrick, Darkman III: Die Darkman Die, Iceman, A Kiss Before Dying, Once Around, Raggedy Man and Tank--of pan and scam garbage from Universal. Oh, wait, i'm sorry: Darkman III is getting an anamorphic transfer (and a Kiss Before Dying). So i can complete my Darkman trilogy.

Universal has always been bad about releasing catalogue titles, but this is the first time they've deliberately gone P/S.

Who are they making these titles for?
What about HD tv?

I've met Universal sales reps and they are, undoubtedly, an awful company (the rep was nice if dim) . . . but this . . .

And they used to be such a great laserdisc producer.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member

I have a WS laserdisc of this title. I'll stay with it until a proper AR DVD of it is released if ever. :frowning: :angry: :angry:

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Fox has put out some catalog titles at $9.99 with both widescreen and pan & scan versions- amazing considering their laserdiscs were ridiculously overpriced (some as high as $49.99). How is it that they can do that, but Columbia has to drop the widescreen transfer from previously released titles when they drop the price on them?
Some of the upcoming $9.99 Universal titles will still be widescreen but it's disturbing that they'd go with pan & scan on some of them when they've been released correctly on laserdisc in the past. I won't even pay $1 for a pan & scan version; as long as they price DVDs less than laserdiscs I'll be glad to pay what they ask for them if they're done correctly!
Amazing that Fox has become one of the best DVD companies while Columbia has become one of the worst!

AndrewWickliffe

Second Unit
Real Name
Andrew Wickliffe
...and now, MGM is Columbia (Sony) too . . .

This is what I got back from the Universal Contact page:
"Thank you for taking the time to contact us. We appreciate your comments and have forwarded them to the appropriate departments.

We hope that you will continue to enjoy Universal products.

Sincerely,

Universal Studios Home Video--Consumer Relations"

"enjoy Universal products"?
Not since laserdisc.

Bradley-E

Screenwriter
I recieved the same response from Universal.

It is quite ironic that SONY started of strong and went downhill and FOX started awfully and is now one of the best. So figure.

PaulaJ

Supporting Actor
What is the original aspect ratio of Charley Varrick, BTW? (I've never seen it...)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks